Disney Infinity is getting Fresh too, it seems

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Oh man, i can't tell anymore. It's obvious it's made by DI Toy Box, a level editor of some kind but i can't find info anywhere on whenever it's actually made by fans or if the company itself made it in Toy Box. Everyone including me is spazzing out on the grounds that this exists? I mean the big "Created by Disney Infinity Team" stamp should've been enough to confirm it's not a fanmade project, right?

I -don't- think this game is going to rob sales from Splatoon at all. I just think it's gone way beyond a homage to a blatant copypaste, which i'd be allright with if it was a fanmade project akin to the TF2/Minecraft replicas. If it's official then it's just tasteless. But either way a credit to Splatoon would've been nice, for starters.

I'd like to summarize this as a really bad PR move and i feel that everyone will forget about this (and the game) a week later.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I don't think you realize that Disney lawyers could curb stomp Nintendo. Nintendo isn't going to file frivolous litigation and spend major $$$ in an international court case with Disney of all entities. Not to mention make an enemy of Disney (which includes ABC, ESPN (especially with the growing interest in esports broadcasting), Marvel, LucasFilms, etc). It looks nothing like Splatoon, doesn't even make likeness of the characters. The elements of the concept that Disney did copy are small enough to protect them from any liability, especially since they aren't making money on it.

The game is crappy don't get me wrong but fanbois please calm down.
Don't want to make enemies if they want to use more licensed Nintendo characters for never going to come out Wreck-it Ralph 2.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Don't want to make enemies if they want to use more licensed Nintendo characters for never going to come out Wreck-it Ralph 2.
That was more of a win for Nintendo though to have some of their characters be in a Disney movie. It wasn't about Disney trying to get Nintendo characters, remember that they could have used Mario in the movie and chose not to.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That was more of a win for Nintendo though to have some of their characters be in a Disney movie. It wasn't about Disney trying to get Nintendo characters, remember that they could have used Mario in the movie and chose not to.
Because he and DK had too much thematic overlap with Ralph and Felix.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I don't think you realize that Disney lawyers could curb stomp Nintendo. Nintendo isn't going to file frivolous litigation and spend major $$$ in an international court case with Disney of all entities. Not to mention make an enemy of Disney (which includes ABC, ESPN (especially with the growing interest in esports broadcasting), Marvel, LucasFilms, etc). It looks nothing like Splatoon, doesn't even make likeness of the characters. The elements of the concept that Disney did copy are small enough to protect them from any liability, especially since they aren't making money on it.

The game is crappy don't get me wrong but fanbois please calm down.
You may have me there with the lawyers but saying that the map doesn't look to be the spittin' image of Arowana Mall... I'm sorry you must of watched the video for it with your eyes and ears closed. There is no way that Disney 'magicly' thought "Hey, let's make a 'Turf War' level and weapons involving ink that shouldn't look like anything in another game." It seems too coincidental that the map looks like it's respective map in Splatoon.

I get that characters are from the Disney Infinity universe, but the references to Splatoon are as clear as day no matter how much you try to dispute otherwise. Not to mention the blatant description for Squid Wars and using the terminology 'Turf War'. The ink guns. The list can go on. If this were a TRUE HOMAGE, it would at least mention the game it's from. There is no mention AT ALL, however. It's all visibly obvious and saying that the limited amount copied would avoid liability attention. I don't see that at all. It looks more like Disney is saying "Hey Nintendo! Look at what we did!" and then proceeds to flip the bird. That's what it looks like to me.

At this point I really shouldn't care. We all are entitled to opinions. Yet somehow mine is particularly getting hate from a few because they don't see the reference or see it as a homage. Whatever. All I know at the end of the day is that the Nazi Mouse has found a way to piss off Splatoon fans. That's what I feel and that what I stick by.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Disney is asking for their corporate offices to be sued for this. Nintendo will notice and the storm will begin. Like what was mentioned in the other thread, it would be worse if they fully copied weapons and the squid transformation.
Nintendo has been imitated in every possible way over the past 30 years and has rarely ever sued any other company for plagiarism. Pretty much every major hit Nintendo's ever had (and some minor ones too, like Advance Wars and Style Savvy) has been copied by some less creative (or more desperate) development team, and never has Nintendo ever been truly hurt by it all. Nintendo's not going to sue Disney, because 1) Disney has among the best legal teams in the world (par for the course with Hollywood though), and Nintendo has a good chance of losing, and losing HARD; and 2) This mode in Disney Infinity is not going to do any harm to Splatoon's sales.

Heck, Nintendo is helping to promote Yo-kai Watch, which was clearly inspired by Pokémon and has become by far its biggest rival.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I've seen a few comments saying this an homage/tribute. If it was, don't you think there would be at least be some mention of Splatoon? Seeing as there isn't, this is a complete and total ripoff meant to cash in on Splatoon's success. Nintendo should definitely sue Disney for this. It's far too blatant. Such an abject abomination doesn't deserve to see the light of day.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Nintendo has been imitated in every possible way over the past 30 years and has rarely ever sued any other company for plagiarism. Pretty much every major hit Nintendo's ever had (and some minor ones too, like Advance Wars and Style Savvy) has been copied by some less creative (or more desperate) development team, and never has Nintendo ever been truly hurt by it all. Nintendo's not going to sue Disney, because 1) Disney has among the best legal teams in the world (par for the course with Hollywood though), and Nintendo has a good chance of losing, and losing HARD; and 2) This mode in Disney Infinity is not going to do any harm to Splatoon's sales.

Heck, Nintendo is helping to promote Yo-kai Watch, which was clearly inspired by Pokémon and has become by far its biggest rival.
As I said not to long ago, I'm backing off on the legality point. But my opinions still stand on the 'Squid Wars' thing as a whole. Honestly, I'm done fighting about it. People are welcome to think however they want.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Fair enough. "Squid Wars" annoys me, but I'm not concerned about it.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I got a laugh out of it, mostly do to how absurd it is and gitchy gitchy goo means that I love you~ <3

but then I started to cringe. First of all no shape or form of swimming, or at least waddling in the color that you place. I'd even accept a

another thing I cringed at was how awful the ability to aim was. It's so bad I can't even bring myself to make a joke about bad splatoon players with it.
tsk tsk disney, this is why I only watch your movies.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can't imagine Nintendo would be willing to enter a legal battle with Disney (and their money), though they should because this "Squid Wars" **** is a blatant, unapologetic ripoff.
Well, they could make it harder for Kingdom Hearts and old Disney content to enter the Virtual Console...

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I-Is this a response over the fact that amiibo are in far more demand than the Disney Infinity Figures?!

Joking aside, this is a Chinese level of copying really. While they copied Arowana Mall from the looks of it.
It has none of the satisfying gameplay elements of Splatoon such as the Squid Form, ink physics, among others.
There's nothing to really get yourself worked up over.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
You may have me there with the lawyers but saying that the map doesn't look to be the spittin' image of Arowana Mall... I'm sorry you must of watched the video for it with your eyes and ears closed. There is no way that Disney 'magicly' thought "Hey, let's make a 'Turf War' level and weapons involving ink that shouldn't look like anything in another game." It seems too coincidental that the map looks like it's respective map in Splatoon.

I get that characters are from the Disney Infinity universe, but the references to Splatoon are as clear as day no matter how much you try to dispute otherwise. Not to mention the blatant description for Squid Wars and using the terminology 'Turf War'. The ink guns. The list can go on. If this were a TRUE HOMAGE, it would at least mention the game it's from. There is no mention AT ALL, however. It's all visibly obvious and saying that the limited amount copied would avoid liability attention. I don't see that at all. It looks more like Disney is saying "Hey Nintendo! Look at what we did!" and then proceeds to flip the bird. That's what it looks like to me.

At this point I really shouldn't care. We all are entitled to opinions. Yet somehow mine is particularly getting hate from a few because they don't see the reference or see it as a homage. Whatever. All I know at the end of the day is that the Nazi Mouse has found a way to piss off Splatoon fans. That's what feel and that what I stick by.
No one is disputing that this isn't a rip of Splatoon. However the parts they have copied from Splatoon are so generic and nonspecific that Nintendo doesn't have a case here to sue. "Turf War" isn't Nintendo created terminology just like neither shooters nor the concept of paintball in itself is something inherently Nintendo. Even the mall level, basic features wise it looks the same however Arrowana has far more details and depth and for what it is.

I'm not "hating" on you. I'm just dispelling the idea of any kind of legal action from Nintendo.

EDIT - For anything to get done at Disney it goes through levels and levels of clearance. They have already consulted the legal team about it and gotten the OK from a liability stand point. If Nintendo does decide to make a stink about this for the sake of PR (given the company culture of Nintendo I don't think this is even likely), all it would be is a threat of litigation, they wouldn't actually go through with it and Disney just wouldn't respond. However like I said before, it would benefit them more just to ignore this.

Last edited:

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Well, I look at it like LEGO bricks and MEGA Bloks. LEGO came first, and innovated the brick system, but then MEGA Bloks came and made a lower quality version of it and got away with it. The MEGA Bloks won't hurt sales too much, but it's still just an insult to LEGO.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
No one is disputing that this isn't a rip of Splatoon. However the parts they have copied from Splatoon are so generic and nonspecific that Nintendo doesn't have a case here to sue. "Turf War" isn't Nintendo created terminology just like neither shooters nor the concept of paintball in itself is something inherently Nintendo. Even the mall level, basic features wise it looks the same however Arrowana has far more details and depth and for what it is.

I'm not "hating" on you. I'm just dispelling the idea of any kind of legal action from Nintendo.

EDIT - For anything to get done at Disney it goes through levels and levels of clearance. They have already consulted the legal team about it and gotten the OK from a liability stand point. If Nintendo does decide to make a stink about this for the sake of PR (given the company culture of Nintendo I don't think this is even likely), all it would be is a threat of litigation, they wouldn't actually go through with it and Disney just wouldn't respond. However like I said before, it would benefit them more just to ignore this.
And remember that it is actual good publicity for Splatoon (What was that quote again, something about bad publicity being good publicity?). It is getting people to notice the actual game.

Kaliafornia

NNID
Kaliafornia
And remember that it is actual good publicity for Splatoon (What was that quote again, something about bad publicity being good publicity?). It is getting people to notice the actual game.
Splatoon has already sold more than 10 million copies worldwide (reported back in July so likely have sold far more) and Disney isn't making any money off of this. The publicity they get from it isn't going to be significant enough to greatly impact sales. It's not like this is a game that no one knows about and everyone is sleeping on it. Why make an enemy of Disney here? The negative out weighs any positives here.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
10 million? But Splatoon's Japanese sales are only around 700,000, and that's supposed to be its biggest audience. Where are all these other millions coming from? Is it being sold in roughly similar quantities in the USA, Canada, Australia, and every major European country? (I'm not taking offense. I'm just confused.)

Mega Bloks does get some interesting licenses though. Mega Bloks has stuck around for as long as it has because while its quality is not as high as LEGO, Mega Bloks is still appealing to many people. Think of it more like MAD Magazine and its imitators. They were flooding the newsstands as early as 1958, and except for Cracked, none of them were near MAD in quality. Bill Gaines, founder of MAD Magazine, kept a pincushion on his desk as kind of a voodoo curse with a pin for each of his imitators on them; by the late 90's, only Cracked remained. and Cracked pulled out in 2007, several years before MAD ended. (You could argue that Cracked managed to outlive MAD, but technically, the Cracked website is a different entity from the magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom