Disney Infinity is getting Fresh too, it seems

PatarRatap

Inkling
NNID
Patar77
As someone who absolutely loves splatoon, and had no idea what that Disney game was even all about until these threads started popping up, I just wanna say...

This backlash from splatoon fans seems to be giving them more free publicity than that single (and from the looks of it, very cheap and poorly made) knockoff level ever could.

I guess I just don't see the issue. It looks more fan made on a cheap computer to me than anything. I don't see how it can possibly, in any way, hurt Nintendo or splatoon at all.

It's akin to someone making a Mario themed level on that Happy Wheels game.

Now, if Disney came out with a $60 game that they were touting as an original IP with the same features, gameplay, and mechanics that that one cheap knockoff level has and distributed it among the 3 major consoles, and PC, then I would say it was worth getting up in arms about. As it is... I say it's harmless and will be completely forgotten soon enough... As soon as you let it.

D

Deleted Member

This reminds me of that old Chinese knockoff of Mario Kart Wii: Mole Kart

Last edited by a moderator:

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
This probably isn't worth sueing Disney over, but this is still blatant plaigarism and they should still give Nintendo credit.

I still think it's possible Nintendo would sue, they're very stingy about copyright. Good examples being Smosh's pokemon theme song music video.

There are also some other obnoxious lawsuits in this link: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...x-party-because-fun-is-tool-team-rocket.shtml

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'm very much on the side of not thinking this a big deal, and wondering what all the fuss and rage are about - it's no different from any other free homage mod - of course, unlike most mods it's made by professional team, but so what? And the resemblance is really very superficial.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
No one is disputing that this isn't a rip of Splatoon. However the parts they have copied from Splatoon are so generic and nonspecific that Nintendo doesn't have a case here to sue. "Turf War" isn't Nintendo created terminology just like neither shooters nor the concept of paintball in itself is something inherently Nintendo. Even the mall level, basic features wise it looks the same however Arrowana has far more details and depth and for what it is.

I'm not "hating" on you. I'm just dispelling the idea of any kind of legal action from Nintendo.

EDIT - For anything to get done at Disney it goes through levels and levels of clearance. They have already consulted the legal team about it and gotten the OK from a liability stand point. If Nintendo does decide to make a stink about this for the sake of PR (given the company culture of Nintendo I don't think this is even likely), all it would be is a threat of litigation, they wouldn't actually go through with it and Disney just wouldn't respond. However like I said before, it would benefit them more just to ignore this.
I'm going to mention this one last time. I'm backing off the legality point. I get there would be no interaction between Disney and Nintendo that would be suing anything. I did however feel like it was an attack on my opinion especially seeing a few saying it's a homage. It's clearly not one. But I am also done fighting over this, so anything else said at this point will be a formality. The heat was already on earlier on and I wanna cool off the burners before a flame war happens. Not that it was mostly contained anyway.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I'm going to mention this one last time. I'm backing off the legality point. I get there would be no interaction between Disney and Nintendo that would be suing anything. I did however feel like it was an attack on my opinion especially seeing a few saying it's a homage. It's clearly not one. But I am also done fighting over this, so anything else said at this point will be a formality. The heat was already on earlier on and I wanna cool off the burners before a flame war happens. Not that it was mostly contained anyway.
It's OK to have an opinion. I haven't seen anyone flame or attack anyone here although many have expressed their annoyance at Disney, I'm not sure why you think you are fighting. People are going to disagree, this is a forum. "Attacking" your opinion isn't the same as a personal attack on you as a poster, clashing opinions and ideas is what discussion is all about.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
You know, apparently Disney Infinity had these 'paintball levels' before Splatoon released. So it looks like they just copied the level and the text. I'm still kinda mad at them for the whole affair, but thought this was interesting.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
It's OK to have an opinion. I haven't seen anyone flame or attack anyone here although many have expressed their annoyance at Disney, I'm not sure why you think you are fighting. People are going to disagree, this is a forum. "Attacking" your opinion isn't the same as a personal attack on you as a poster, clashing opinions and ideas is what discussion is all about.
Look, it just felt like one. Whether it was or not isn't relevant at this point. I'm moving on from this, leaving level headed. I should of heeded my own warnings about heated opinions. I can't mentally keep level headed enough to talk about things opinion based if they ended up getting the slightest bit heated.

It's one of the things that make me human I suppose.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
That's...revolting. If my little cousins play that, they're banned from playing Sploon on my Wii U. You can't serve two masters.

Anyway, you can't sue for similarities.

MelonBread

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MelonPann
Was it confirmed that this was made by the actual Disney Infinity devs? I recall someone saying that the level was made in the game's map editor or something like that, meaning it could be a fanmade thing.
If this really is an official thing in the game and not usermade, then just wow, lmao.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I've seen some video footage of 'Squid Wars' earlier and it's one of the most cheapest looking things I've ever seen. It's like a poor man's version of Arowana Mall with no fun to it whatsoever. I'm not extremely mad about this, by the way. I'm just pretty annoyed that the DI team will go this far by ripping off a game that's more popular than their game.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I should point out that the way whole block-like chunks are filled in all at once seems to take inspiration from de Blob.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Isn't stuff like this kinda the point of Disney Infinity's toy box? Build whatever you want and do whatever you want? This might be more of a "look what this is capable of" than a "we've created the same game" type of thing. I will still be buying DI3 because Star Wars (honestly one of the funnest games I've played and it's great for the kids).

Also, @Hari Judari and @Zombie Aladdin, Splatoon has only sold around 2 million copies. The global sales of the WiiU hit 10 million in July, probably boosted by Splatoon sales. Still the fastest selling IP on the WiiU (although not the best selling) but not quite those numbers yet.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Isn't stuff like this kinda the point of Disney Infinity's toy box? Build whatever you want and do whatever you want? This might be more of a "look what this is capable of" than a "we've created the same game" type of thing. I will still be buying DI3 because Star Wars (honestly one of the funnest games I've played and it's great for the kids).

Also, @Hari Judari and @Zombie Aladdin, Splatoon has only sold around 2 million copies. The global sales of the WiiU hit 10 million in July, probably boosted by Splatoon sales. Still the fastest selling IP on the WiiU (although not the best selling) but not quite those numbers yet.
Ah makes sense. I read it from an article about Splatoon so I must have confused it with the actual WiiU sales.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Well- I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't really go and sue them because wouldn't that mean they would have to sue TF2 and Minecraft as well?
People made a lil Sploon Clone in there as well.
NOW THIS IS FUNNY AND BAD ON HOW POOR IT LOOKS AS TF2 AND MINECRAFT MADE A BETTER VERS AND IT'S FAN MADE.
But like- if you switch up a few things and change up a couple of things, then it would count as a parody.
Parodies can't really be sued over so... Disney is most likely safe from any kind of suing... I think.
I'm not sure... I never took up law. BUT I DO KNOW THAT WE CAN ALL POINT AND LAUGH AT HOW BAD THIS IS!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well- I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't really go and sue them because wouldn't that mean they would have to sue TF2 and Minecraft as well?
People made a lil Sploon Clone in there as well.
NOW THIS IS FUNNY AND BAD ON HOW POOR IT LOOKS AS TF2 AND MINECRAFT MADE A BETTER VERS AND IT'S FAN MADE.
But like- if you switch up a few things and change up a couple of things, then it would count as a parody.
Parodies can't really be sued over so... Disney is most likely safe from any kind of suing... I think.
I'm not sure... I never took up law. BUT I DO KNOW THAT WE CAN ALL POINT AND LAUGH AT HOW BAD THIS IS!
To be honestly the "fan made" part is pretty much what makes all the difference. Those fan made mods have absolutely no intent of earning bank from it. Also the fan made ones also make it pretty clear that they are fan made parodies.

I mean this entire things probably would've been a lot less controversial if they simply stated it was them building a Splatoon parody with their sandbox.

Unless this specifically becomes an official thing there really isn't much to sue them for since this is a sandbox game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom