• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do People Play More Riskily in Big Run (hypothesis)?

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
Maybe it's just me but I think I notice people getting splatted more frequently during Big Run than in normal rotations. And I have a suspicion that the reason is that folks are trying to get enough eggs for a gold trophy and so are taking risks they wouldn't normally be taking to get more eggs.

Granted, Big Run will tend to attract people who don't play that often which might contribute to them being splattered more often. But I'm in EVP (as of this writing EVP 170). While that isn't particularly impressive or anything it isn't beginner level either. And to be clear, I don't consider myself an expert SR myself and definitely make my fair share of mistakes. However I would expect most people I'm teamed up with be familiar with the mode, but this morning I've seen some players get splatted 7 or 8 times in a shift (and these were just normal waves, no glowflies or anything).

Actually I suspect lower EVP is where people are most likely to take the most risks since the target for the gold reward (135 for this Big Run) is just barely within reach. It's not that uncommon to get one round where you get 45+ eggs. Personally though, I don't care that much about the trophy and am mostly just farming for silver scales (I want the Peach Gloopsuit!).

Has anyone else noticed this as well or am I just seeing things?

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i don’t play enough SR these days to really notice a pattern, but i have noticed in myself that i get splatted more often when given certain grizzco weapons (especially splatana) because i start to feel invincible. no idea if that’s common or just something uniquely wrong with me though, lol

i’ve been stuck at low profreshional ranks for a while though, so the gold quota is a lot further from what my crew can typically expect to get. so maybe the difference in ranks does explain a difference in behavior? so i don’t see that pattern as much, but you would notice it in EVP.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
It probably doesn't help all random weapon rots are notoriously difficult to work with, I had a few runs that just died because the game decided to give us weapons like all backline, double roller double shooter(on griller) etc

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
i don’t play enough SR these days to really notice a pattern, but i have noticed in myself that i get splatted more often when given certain grizzco weapons (especially splatana) because i start to feel invincible. no idea if that’s common or just something uniquely wrong with me though, lol
To be fair it's hard to use the Grizzco stamper without putting yourself at some risk since it has so little range. And the Grizzco stringer and slosher can be hard to use as well. And more generally I guess there is the issue that people will get weapons they aren't used to and that will make it more likely for them to be caught out in a bad position (this is technically true in normal salmon run but at least there you know what's in the rotation so it's not a surprize and you can practice with them in the training area as well). Yesterday I got the dynamo three times in two shifts and that was definitely not my finest hour (I know that dynamo can be pretty good in SR, but I am bad dynamo).

Yosi Spring

Pro Squid
For Eeltail specifically, the fact that the ground was completely flat around the basket didn't help. It's harder to avoid stuff when enemies can run straight at you instead of needing to pathfind around the terrain.

Umbreonfan

Senior Squid
Could be people have to get used to a new map? It takes me a few rounds to get used to where low or high tide is at and remember where bosses spawn. Random weapons could also carry some people.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Big run is like splatfests and similar events on other games - there's always people that stopped playing the game but pick it up for events, so they're rusty and then they get on your team and they die a lot. It's a universal concept.

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I so I guess I should specify more. I don't think a lot of people I was observing were bad at Salmon Run. Often times they would be getting more eggs and golden eggs than I was. It's just that they were also dying much more, perhaps more than they normally do in normal SR (though of course I couldn't know that for sure). A lot of folks seem to be assuming dying = lack of skill but if they were that bad, how could they be getting so many eggs? Like sure, there will be a number of the population who plays Big Run who are rusty but I'm not sure if that's the only thing that was going on.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
You do have to take risks to get bigger scores. If you're only trying to make quota, you can play a lot more conservatively aiming to just survive wave 3. But in Big Run, you're incentivized to go above and beyond just survival, and that does mean a more risk:reward-oriented playstyle.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I think sometimes people just get really excited and forget to pay attention. At least that's what happens to me during big run and other events. The hype just gets to me and I get so eager to splat something that I forget to lure >> sorry, teammates. At least I chilled out a bit after enough rounds.

But yeah, I was in EVP 120~180 most of big run and I definitely also noticed riskier gameplay. I imagine it's some combination of all the above factors, including score chasing, out-of-practice folks joining in only for the event, a new and unfamiliar map, random weapons sometimes putting you in a pinch, etc.

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
You do have to take risks to get bigger scores. If you're only trying to make quota, you can play a lot more conservatively aiming to just survive wave 3. But in Big Run, you're incentivized to go above and beyond just survival, and that does mean a more risk:reward-oriented playstyle.
Well yeah, that's what I was saying in my original post. Though I think that's only optimal if someone only can play for a limited time. Your scores tend to get higher more your EVP goes up but you actually need to clear shifts to do that (or for that matter, to get a score up to 135). So it makes sense that people would play more riskily but it would still be suboptimal to play so riskily that you get splatted a lot since that increase the risk of a team wipe (though to be fair it seemed easier to rescue people on Eeltail than on other stages).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom