do people still think ranked mode doesn't need voice chat?

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
...that's a whole lot of speculation, though. How do you know that a majority of the high-ranking players are in Japan? And how do you know Japanese players would suddenly decide to play with each other?
Speculation?
How do I know:
I base it on playing over 500 hours in A+/S the majority of the time I'm the only person with an English time.
I also base it on the wait times between matches when Japan has it's Splatfest(1-2 mins).

I don't know for certain Japanese players will choose to play with each other but if they had such an option they might.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah if there was voice chat... I'll be killing everyone's ear drums.
Like for real... I screech a lot during these matches when it seem like I did something 100% stupid. So it's best to never have voice chat. Want voice chat? Just use Skype or something...
I'll say I'm the reason why voice chat will never be a thing in this game.
Besides, it will be best to play Ranked without people screaming in your ear at all times... in different languages.

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
Doesn't the game have over a million sales? I don't think adding regional options will fracture anything.
Matchmaking during Splatfests takes ages, and when it finally finds a match I seem to be more likely to find people with low quality connections than I seem to be with international matchmaking. I can only imagine how bad the matchmaking would be when it doesn't have the entire region to draw from.

...that's a whole lot of speculation, though. How do you know that a majority of the high-ranking players are in Japan? And how do you know Japanese players would suddenly decide to play with each other?
Because the majority of high ranking players have Japanese names. All you have to do is play the game to see that. I will rarely see more than 2 other obviously Western players in a series of S/S+ matches, and even in Squads in they're a relative rarity.
Japanese players are pretty happy to embrace their stereotypical xenophobia; it's a bit of a meme around 2ch right now to throw a match to chase out Western players. They'd be more than happy to have regional matchmaking, they have plenty of players to keep the experience occupied.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Japanese players are pretty happy to embrace their stereotypical xenophobia; it's a bit of a meme around 2ch right now to throw a match to chase out Western players. They'd be more than happy to have regional matchmaking, they have plenty of players to keep the experience occupied.
Funny thing, that, I seem to have a passable win ratio even with a heavily Japanese-matchmade lineup. Maybe it's because I log in during Asian Prime time and my Mii nickname is too generic to determine nationality.

CoCo

Inkling
NNID
JupiterJack
I think voice chat should be allowed in Private Battles and nowhere else. That way you can have a good time with friends and just derp around. For Turf War and Ranked I'd definitely say no since, well.. I'm sure not all of us have the cleanest mouths when we get upset... :oops: plus I think it would be distracting, especially in ranked since I like to be focused. But chances are that won't happen for Private Battles either :/
I'd be perfectly fine with VC in private battles and thought it would be so right up until the game launched :T
However, I'd really only find it useful in tower control because people for some reason there forget what to do and GO OFF CHASING OTHER SQUIDS IN THE OTHER CORNER OF THE MAP AND ONLY NOTICE THE OBJECTIVE CONVENIENTLY WHEN THE OTHER TEAM'S COUNT IS UNDER 10 SECONDS.

That whole time I'm like,

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I'd be perfectly fine with VC in private battles and thought it would be so right up until the game launched :T
However, I'd really only find it useful in tower control because people for some reason there forget what to do and GO OFF CHASING OTHER SQUIDS IN THE OTHER CORNER OF THE MAP AND ONLY NOTICE THE OBJECTIVE CONVENIENTLY WHEN THE OTHER TEAM'S COUNT IS UNDER 10 SECONDS.

That whole time I'm like,
tean

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I'd be cool with voice chat for squad and private like many people, but I really don't want to listen to random people raging and insulting each other in turf and ranked.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Wait are you serious? I might need to change my name to be in Japanese in that case.
The hell are people in 2ch serious.

Please love me Japanese Overlords

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
Funny thing, that, I seem to have a passable win ratio even with a heavily Japanese-matchmade lineup. Maybe it's because I log in during Asian Prime time and my Mii nickname is too generic to determine nationality.
Wait are you serious? I might need to change my name to be in Japanese in that case.
The hell are people in 2ch serious.
Please love me Japanese Overlords
The odds are relatively low (2ch's Splatoon general is surprisingly not very active), and I have personally never had the issue, but I see stories relatively frequently on Reddit and /ink/, and I believe there was a video of it at some point too. It's something worth considering is all.

Bowrock

Inkster Jr.
NNID
N.Bowrock
My team is 100% Japanese most of the time, so I guess voice chat wouldn't help at all...

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Strong arm has a point. It would be nice if there was voice chat. I stopped spamming "booyah" and "c'mon" once I realized no one was getting what I was saying
Wat? What were you trying to say? I never seen anyone use those anyways...only once in my whole time playing.I don't even know how to say them. Is there a button or is it on the touch pad?

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Wat? What were you trying to say? I never seen anyone use those anyways...only once in my whole time playing.I don't even know how to say them. Is there a button or is it on the touch pad?
It's the D-Pad, as clearly displayed in the corner of the screen.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Well, it's too far into the Wii U's lifespan for me to expect them to ever implement an out-of-game voice chat system for me to use with my friends while playing Splatoon like the Playstation and Xbox, so I'll settle for not having public voice chat at all. Because I would honestly rather not have to deal with public voice chat.

NNID
Brickmaster2.0
If anything, Nintendo should just do it the way Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate did: have customizable shoutouts. We have 4 inputs on the D-Pad, 4 shoutouts wouldn't be too much of a stretch. If language localization is an issue, the easiest way to resolve that would just be to take a poll and come up with a list of the most desired phrases to be used in battle, and give players the option to choose 4 for their shoutouts. I imagine "Cover me!", "Beware of enemy", "Get back to base", "Push forward", "Sniper ahead!", "I got ambushed!", and similar phrases wouldn't be too hard to provide as shoutout options.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Considering S/S+ ranks are literally 95% Japanese, it wouldn't be any use for me.

DandyPanties

Inkling
NNID
Devilele
Honestly, it does. People are really bad at this game when they cannot communicate with each other.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
For certain games voice chat is very important (monster hunter) but for a game like splatoon it would help team coordination but it's more fun to adapt (or try to) then to get told what to do, plus the atmosphere of the game would feel every off because we wouldn't be talking like 80s dudes. Nintendo is also commonly seen as a family company so you will have a lot of young children playing (unless their parents don't get ESRB) and having people tell them what to do or feeling like they have to adapt to what they are doing will discourage them and we will have fewer people playing splatoon. Nintendo has never done regional separation even when the game need it (monster hunter 3 ultimate) so voice chat would be a rare help. The command is nice because they are preset so when you use them they will be translated into their tongue, and their are very rude gamers out there not all gamers are rude but they are out there, and the two "commands" we do have drive me crazy not because they are bad but because they hit "c'mon" 15 times and I don't go to them because they have clearly charted out where they are going by saying come on. Voice chat could be a good thing but with people going to splatoon because it's not CoD, with many children able to play splatoon, and if you are playing with squid mates you probably know what they are going to do anyway, and nintendo doesn't have a HUGE fanbase like playstaion or xbox (For reasons I will never understand) region locking will make it so I don't have many people to play with. And remember don't base your fun around others games are meant to have fun with.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Voice chat in ranked would be so bad. S rank is a death pit so I can just imagine how much cursing their would be, I know their is a lot on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom