do people still think ranked mode doesn't need voice chat?

Efuramu

Inkling
NNID
FireEmblemGamer
I don't see voice chat ever occurring in Splatoon and frankly, I'm happy about it. There are WAY too many problems that occur with voice chat in a shooter and Nintendo is aware of it. I think they were smart to go with no voice chat.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Since people are generally against the matter, and you seem to be the type of guy the before mentioned majority don't want being shouted at, you're best off swallowing your pride and working with your limitations.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
thinking voice chat is just for screaming at people and calling each other horrible names is stupid.....might as well throw the little kids into a bubble and never let them out if you are so scared of the mean worlds that may or may not be said

CinnaDonut

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SerFiora
I think voice chat should be allowed in Private Battles and nowhere else. That way you can have a good time with friends (I know people use skype, but I don't have that luxury so it's kinda difficult) and just derp around. For Turf War and Ranked I'd definitely say no since, well.. I'm sure not all of us have the cleanest mouths when we get upset... :oops: plus I think it would be distracting, especially in ranked since I like to be focused. But chances are that won't happen for Private Battles either :/

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
thinking voice chat is just for screaming at people and calling each other horrible names is stupid.....might as well throw the little kids into a bubble and never let them out if you are so scared of the mean worlds that may or may not be said
dude, that's not what anyone's advocating. you're using the slippery slope fallacy.
People play this game as means of escapism, and I don't think children, or that matter anyone wants to be yelled at for ****ing up, especially if the person doing the yelling is at fault in a similar regard. As the old adage goes:

Git gud, scrub.

MooseSmuggler

Inkling
NNID
MooseSmuggler
dude, that's not what anyone's advocating. you're using the slippery slope fallacy.
People play this game as means of escapism, and I don't think children, or that matter anyone wants to be yelled at for ****ing up, especially if the person doing the yelling is at fault in a similar regard. As the old adage goes:

Git gud, scrub.
Exactly. As an autistic and agender person, I prefer not being called ableist or otherwise offensive slurs, and I don't like being yelled at in general, or trying to talk to people I don't know. Games are my escape from a hateful world. All it takes is one time for me to shut down. And I'm older...imagine a child like me. Or any child, really. People's emotional well-being is more important than winning a video game.

toxictower

Full Squid
From the looks of how this game is developing, I doubt it's going to happen. If they did, it would be problematic for the (actual) kids and anyone else who doesn't want to be told what to do or how to play. Considering matches only last about 3-5 minutes, there's not much purpose for it either. I think it should be available for Private because the Wii U gamepad has a built-in mic and headphone jack. I'd at least like to see a new control pad message like "Watch out!" to warn your teammates of nearby enemies or danger, but until then I don't think that's something Nintendo would ever implement :(

Ruben

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Starfoxfire
my problem always comes from getting people on stuff like skype all at once....I'm always getting involved with people who are too busy to really set a date for anything
I feel your pain, this game needs a better communication system

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
It should have always been there for people to use with their friends.
Yep, random games don't require it and considering the player base in S/S+ is majority Japanese and I don't have time to learn their language I think lacking VC is ok.

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
I play with wildly varied groups of people without voice chat and we will pretty much always stomp the opposition regardless. In fact, whenever we notice we played against a bunch of people with clantags, we like to see if they were streaming with VOIP, just to enjoy the salt.
It'd be nice, but it is definitely not necessary.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
It doesn't. we have discord, TS, etc. for comms coordination. No need to chat with randumbs, though the option would be nice I suppose so long as we could easily turn it off. If other games are any indication, having it in the game wouldn't offer more coordination in solo queue than not having it.

toxictower

Full Squid
Yep, random games don't require it and considering the player base in S/S+ is majority Japanese and I don't have time to learn their language I think lacking VC is ok.
That brings up another chance for improvement, there should be regional servers. If there was voice chat it would make sense if everyone spoke the same language.

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
That brings up another chance for improvement, there should be regional servers. If there was voice chat it would make sense if everyone spoke the same language.
If this game had Regional servers, I'd be playing against the same small groups of people of people in my bracket in the West rather than the varied group I see now with global matchmaking. I already have this problem fairly frequently when an /ink/ squad is mostly S/S+ players. I don't want another Titanfall.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
If this game had Regional servers, I'd be playing against the same small groups of people of people in my bracket in the West rather than the varied group I see now with global matchmaking. I already have this problem fairly frequently when an /ink/ squad is mostly S/S+ players. I don't want another Titanfall.
Why not do it like Mario Kart 8 did, and have options for both regional and worldwide matchmaking?

Jeane JWE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
likeisuzaku
Why not do it like Mario Kart 8 did, and have options for both regional and worldwide matchmaking?
This would definitely be a better option, but it would still be fracturing the playerbase.
This is also a more technical concern, but I don't the game's infrastructure would be able to support even more complicated matchmaking. The systems in place already are dubious at best, with no capability of figuring out how many players a Squad wants to play in without them queuing as a fixed number first, no midmatch joining at all, no host swapping... I do not think that the game is in such a state for another undertaking without completely overhauling the game's networking entirely, and that seems to me like it would be relatively wasted effort.
Putting it simply, I don't think there's any real solution to this issue. The best approach would be to just leave things as they are now.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
This would definitely be a better option, but it would still be fracturing the playerbase.
This is also a more technical concern, but I don't the game's infrastructure would be able to support even more complicated matchmaking. The systems in place already are dubious at best, with no capability of figuring out how many players a Squad wants to play in without them queuing as a fixed number first, no midmatch joining at all, no host swapping... I do not think that the game is in such a state for another undertaking without completely overhauling the game's networking entirely, and that seems to me like it would be relatively wasted effort.
Putting it simply, I don't think there's any real solution to this issue. The best approach would be to just leave things as they are now.
Doesn't the game have over a million sales? I don't think adding regional options will fracture anything.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Doesn't the game have over a million sales? I don't think adding regional options will fracture anything.
Probably more than 1/3 of people who purchased Splatoon are in Japan. Right now that's over 800 000 copies in Japan alone. US/Europe at the moment are at most a little over a million. Considering the fact that I feel that the majority of S/S+ players are based in Japan I don't want regional MM. Because Japanese players would probably choose to play with each other and suddenly I'd have to wait several minutes for a ranked match.
I've not had major problems with lag and don't find Japanese on average any more laggy than certain European/US/Oceania based squids.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Probably more than 1/3 of people who purchased Splatoon are in Japan. Right now that's over 800 000 copies in Japan alone. US/Europe at the moment are at most a little over a million. Considering the fact that I feel that the majority of S/S+ players are based in Japan I don't want regional MM. Because Japanese players would probably choose to play with each other and suddenly I'd have to wait several minutes for a ranked match.
I've not had major problems with lag and don't find Japanese on average any more laggy than certain European/US/Oceania based squids.
...that's a whole lot of speculation, though. How do you know that a majority of the high-ranking players are in Japan? And how do you know Japanese players would suddenly decide to play with each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom