do people still think ranked mode doesn't need voice chat?

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
Not really sure why people suspect that there would be a ton of negativity if voice chat were added. It would only be necessary among teammates, so there's no satisfaction to be had telling your partner that they suck since it's more likely that they'll then go out of their way to ruin things for your team.

Either way, at the very least, it should be available for squad battles and private matches. You had to add someone via NNID in order to join in the first place, so anyone you talk to is of your own volition.

RedEnchilada

Inkling
NNID
RedEnchilada
There's no benefit to yelling at your randomly-assigned teammates when they(/you) screw up, sure, but that doesn't mean people won't do it. Considering how many people like to blame their teammates for every loss, it's not hard to imagine matchmade games with voice chat being full of people trying to tell others to stop sucking instead of actually trying to coordinate. (Plus there seem to be a lot of people who play this game who don't like using voice chat in general. Yes, I know there could be an option to disable it, but then what happens when a team with nobody on voice chat gets paired with a team who all uses voice chat? Even the guys constantly screaming at each other will still occasionally say something useful and give their team the advantage.)

Plus, it seems like everyone who plays the game wants to be That Guy who takes charge and tells everyone else where they're supposed to go. Put multiple people like that together on a team, add voice chat, and you've just got a headache. While a few more ping options would be nice, I think the lack of actual voice chat helps encourage people to actually be aware of what their teammates are doing, and try to operate as a codependent whole rather than someone giving all the orders. Does that actually happen in all matchmade rounds? Not by a long shot. But adding voice chat so everyone can try to be the leader would only worsen things.

For squads and private battles, you probably have the ability to contact who you're playing with on another service that offers voice chat anyway, which would be infinitely superior to the garbage microphone quality the gamepad would provide. A built-in solution might have its benefits, but the lack of one doesn't harm much when other options are available.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
My internet connection is pretty terrible as it is; getting on Skype or something similar on top of that renders it consistently unplayable. Considering how many Miiverse posts talk about the "unstable connection" message, it seems at least somewhat relevant for the population as a whole.

Chat could easily be muted with a Gamepad tap if desired, and there's no need for chat to exist as soon as the timer is up, so post-game complaints go out the window. All the better with threatening to hurt/lock players in Ranked, since that discourages them from being particularly negative, etc.

I'm pretty sure the strongest argument for leaving it out as far as Nintendo is concerned is that there's significantly less to do in terms of bans and such, because there's no report system outside of Miiverse drawings (to my knowledge). Makes it easier on them, however lazy it may be.

Crescelius

Inkling
NNID
Crescelius
Voice Chat would be horribly abused, sadly. What the game needs is more communication options, ones that the other team can't see or hear unless close by. My suggestions would be "Over here!" and "Stay still!" if those could be implemented.

Otherwise, well, you may have to make friends and find another way to voice chat. Nintendo is never going to implement it.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Voice Chat won't help me when Im playing at 11 PM and am the only english name in the room
also im positive VC would cause more lag issues than we already have, which is why you can't VC in Smash 4 during matches.

It just aint gonna happen

MooseSmuggler

Inkling
NNID
MooseSmuggler
Honestly, lack of voice chat was part of the reason I got the game in the first place. I have no intention to play a game where people might start screaming offensive slurs or just being nasty. Sure, I can mute them, but the damage would be done, and I'd probably just wind up panicking for the rest of the match. Voice chat for squads and private battles would be fine, though...hell, I think that should be offered. But random battles? Nah, I'll take having to rely on two iffy phrases over being called a ***got any day.

Besides, what use is voice chat if you wind up in a room with people who don't speak your language?

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Voice chat for Squad Battles makes sense. Voice chat with random players...not so much. As others have pointed out, there are a number of problems that would limit its effectiveness, so I'm not convinced that it would be worth putting up with the verbal abuse that would inevitably come with it.

And before you say it, yes, I know a lot of games with voice and/or text chat have an ignore or mute function. I don't use it when I play those games, though, because to me, letting people badmouth me behind my back (to other people who haven't muted them) is worse than just hearing the insults. Jerks and trolls can only do so much on their own, but when two or three of them get together, it can result in bullying. I still remember playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl online (which didn't even have a means of communication to facilitate that behavior) and getting ganged up on by the other players in every other match (even in 2v2 mode!), and I have no desire to see that happen again.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Voice Chat won't help me when Im playing at 11 PM and am the only english name in the room
also im positive VC would cause more lag issues than we already have, which is why you can't VC in Smash 4 during matches.

It just aint gonna happen
I would prefer more ping options.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
If the game made more of an effort to do matchmaking based on location, this might be less of an issue, too, but I suppose that's not the same thing.

MooseSmuggler

Inkling
NNID
MooseSmuggler
If the game made more of an effort to do matchmaking based on location, this might be less of an issue, too, but I suppose that's not the same thing.
That would at least get rid of the language barrier problem...mostly...North America would have English, Spanish, and some Quebec French speakers. But at least then it'd be narrowed down. Still doesn't solve the "risk of getting called a ***got or **tard and having a panic attack during the rest of the match if not rest of the day" problem. Also remember that there are children playing this game, even Ranked. Exposing a child to that kind of toxic behavior isn't worth it.

Having more ping options and allowing VC in Squads/Private Battles would be the best course of action.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
For Squads, they should have it. Because at least you are allied with people you know. Some people have parents so they can't use the Wii U and computer at the same time.

MooseSmuggler

Inkling
NNID
MooseSmuggler
No one ever said it was "99%", just that it happens enough to be a problem, which it does in most online shooters. And since Splatoon is a "family-friendly" game, that was not a risk Nintendo wanted to take. I'm sorry, but it's more important to make a game safe for its target audience than it is to guarantee "perfect" matches.

Hell, I think the general consensus here is that VC should be a thing in any mode where you have control over the teams/players. I'd say that's a fair compromise. Because voice chat in random matchups is a disaster waiting to happen.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare was also family friendly and had voice chat...it's also gonna have voice chat for the sequel

they weren't terrified of what the gamers might say....

also ranked modes need voice chat.....all players need to be on the same page instead of aimlessly wandering around

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare was also family friendly and had voice chat...it's also gonna have voice chat for the sequel

they weren't terrified of what the gamers might say....
PopCap doesn't exactly have the same kind of image as Nintendo, really.

RedEnchilada

Inkling
NNID
RedEnchilada
Here's the key difference though: go to any community centered around this game. Miiverse, here, etc. Count the number of people who say things like "I carried my team and we still lost!" constantly. Those people probably aren't interested in actually working with their teammates in solo queue, but rather in taking charge and barking orders to everyone. Now, is that an attitude that every player has? No! But it's definitely a pervasive mindset, especially among the people who play the ranked modes. Now, imagine putting even two people like that on a team. There's not going to be any coordination; only two people shouting over each other "No, do THIS thing instead!" and confusing the rest of the team. That provides no help to coordination at best, and at worst everyone's play is negatively affected from focusing on the bickering (unless everyone on the team turns off voice chat, but then what was the point of including it to begin with?).

I'm aware that scenario is exaggerated and won't always happen. But the problem is actual coordinated teamwork, no matter what, isn't going to happen with random people that the game matches you up with, due almost entirely to situations like that. It takes a certain amount of trust between the players to be able to coordinate things properly, which you won't get when you pair up random people who all want to be the head honcho. I also think the lack of voice chat helps people subconsciously get better at the game; if you can't bark your orders to everyone else, then to do well you have to learn how to make your actions complement your team's without any real influence on what they do.

That said, voice chat in squads and private matches? There's not a problem with having that. It's just not something that's going to work in solo queue.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Should it be in? Yes. Would I use it if it's in? No.

So, if other people want it for squads, you should be able to have it. Not that I care about getting it.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
PopCap doesn't exactly have the same kind of image as Nintendo, really.
well maybe Nintendo's image sucks....they aren't exactly setting the sales charts on fire and most gamers see nintendo as a joke struggling to compete with microsoft and sony

hell their holiday line up this year is pathetic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom