Do you change your playstyle when an enemy team/player has a severe disadvantage?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
This is something I've wanted to know if others do or not. Do you show mercy in any way when dealing with players who:

1. Lose a teammate via disconnection. We all know what usually happens when it's 3 vs. 4. The team that lost someone will most likely get pushed back into their base area where the other team proceeds to kill them repeatedly without hesitation.

- In regards to this scenario, I pull back when I see this happen. I'll let my three teammates go nuts on the enemy team while I just go around inking every last inch of turf I can find. If I'm guaranteed to win, I don't want to rub salt in the wound for the team that is guaranteed to lose.

2. A very low level player. Let's say you happen to know that there is newer player on the other team, will you splat them without question, or will you ease up a little?

- This is a bit harder to do in the heat of battle. No one wants to be splatted, especially by a low level player. But every time I constantly encounter, and splat the same player who I know is very low leveled, I feel like I could make them rage quit in frustration. I would hate to make a new player think they have no chance against veteran players.

Note that this is all in regards to turf wars. In ranked battles I don't expect anyone to show mercy to anyone else. I know I would not risk my rank lowering. Any win, fair or not, is still a win, and ranked wins are too precious not to take advantage of.

I'm very interested to see how others may feel about these issues.

Last edited:

1o2

Inkling Cadet
No mercy shown. In terms of playing any game competitively, a win is a win, as long as you don't break any of the rules in place to do so. "We take those".

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
I definitely pull back everytime my team ends up pushing the bad guys back during a 3 v 4. I do it mainly to keep the pressure off those poor dudes, but it's also a smart technique to do in case the enemy either pulls an amazing comeback and splats the rest of my team, or one of them pulls off a Solid Snake and starts creeping into our turf; and that's true for both incomplete teams and full teams.

Last edited:

LadyGhirahim

Inkling
NNID
Lady_Ghirahim
Depends on the mode. For turf war, if there's a disconnect I usually try to squid party with the other team or will go super easy on them. I usually don't stare at levels long enough to know who is low leveled or not.
For ranked, I just try to win, even under unfair circumstances. Considering that things like disconnects and low level players have happened to me, I do take advantage of it.

D

Deleted Member

Whenever I face really bad players and/or its a 4v3, I shift my playstyle to full offense and try to get as many kills as I can.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
For regular turf wars yeah I'll back off, but in ranked or splatfest there can be no mercey and I don't expect any from the enemy team whenever my team has a disconnect, which is often! >_<

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I definitely pull back everytime my team ends up pushing the bad guys back during a 3 v 4. I do it mainly to keep the pressure off those poor dudes, but it's also a smart technique to do in case the enemy either pulls an amazing comeback and splats the rest of my team, or one of them pulls off a Solid Snake and starts creeping into out turf; and that's true for both incomplete teams and full teams.
Exactly! There is a tactical advantage to staying back a bit. I've had the rest of my team all killed at the enemy spawn, and if I had not been there to squid jump to, we could have lost.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Since I'm a purely defensive player, I rarely have to change my playstyle when the enemy's not at their strongest to let them play the game. However, if my team is pushing the enemy extremely hard I tend to not pass more than 3/4 of the map, as it's not fun to get spawn camped or spawn camp the enemy (I don't even get paid much for it anyways). Aside of that, I just focus on painting whatever's in my reach and taking out anyone trying to take me or my teammates out (or taking my turf), not much else. On regards of newer players, while I agree that focusing them down too harshly doesn't really benefit the game, maybe they can learn a thing or two while trying to fight higher skilled players from time to time (always playing with people that constantly make mistakes can lead to bad habits once they stop making those mistakes)

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
If my team has at least 2 more players than the enemy team, I stop shooting to kill, only to cover turf. Never underestimate a player because of their level.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Usually, I don't notice when it is a 3-4 until the game is over because I am so into playing, but when I see one beforehand, I let up a bit.

As with new players, I take no mercy. Showing them how to play is a way to teach them through example, and hopefully being splatted helps them realize their mistakes. I do admit, when I am against a team of new players I feel a bit guilty (Got 14 splats, 1200+ points once against a team of newbies. They probably thought I was some sort of pro or something...)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Honestly i never like splatting low-level players, after sending them to spawn for the tenth time it feels more like bullying. They didn't have the time to learn yet and being pitted against lvl 40-50 ppl can't be fun.

I won't go easy if a person D/C's on the other team, though. I don't want to be embarrassed losing a 4vs3. I remember going 1 vs 4 during a splatfest, that was the stuff of nightmares...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Personally for me, I think it entirely depends on what mode we're playing at the time. If the disconnect happens during Ranked, I won't change my play style or ease up at all. I'm sorry if that sounds mean but I am here to win when it comes to Ranked. That does mean taking advantage of the circumstances given. Yes, it sucks when someone on the team disconnects but that's how the cards fall. It's completely fair for us to take advantage of that. And besides, I have seen a 3 VS 4 where the three player team won over the four person team. It's entirely possible so no, I won't ease up during Ranked at all.

When it comes to Turf Wars... I think I'm a bit more lenient. If I've been having a losing streak during Ranked, I usually go play Turf Wars to blow off some steam. During those moments, I probably wouldn't go easy on anybody because I'm kind of ticked off haha. xP

But if I'm playing just regularly, I'm more willing to ease up. If the team has a disconnect and we've backed them up into the base, I'll usually try to hang back and just filling up small areas we didn't get. I don't know. It sort of makes me feel kind of jerk-ish to mercilessly kill the other team when they have no chance of coming back. It almost feels like rubbing it in their faces I guess and I don't like that.

When it's a low leveled player under level 5, I'll usually try to be a bit easy. I played with a level 6 person last night. The first round, I didn't know he was low leveled until we saw the results screen. When I found out he was, I did go a bit easier on him and didn't splat him as much. Of course, if he was going after a team mate, he was going to get splatted. Sorry. Low level or not, a team mate is a team mate. If I see you going after them, I'll try to come up behind you and take out first. No mercy there.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I've been in matches where someone on my team disconnects and we win anyway, and I've been in matches where the opposing team gets a disconnect and they win anyway. I've also seem low-leveled players do remarkably well (I seem to have begun in that way myself). I look at results for both Turf Wars and Ranked and see no correlation between levels and whether they win or lose, or how much turf they cover in Turf Wars. (I've seen a match where a Level 1 player was at the top of his team--before the win bonus, he inked about 1100p with the Splattershot Jr. and with a 6-0 record.) Because I can't afford to let my guard down, I'll play as hard as I can against anybody.

This is a different case in games where I'm directly up against another individual though. If I'm playing Smash Bros. 1-on-1 and my opponent is clearly outclassed, I'll go easy on them. I had to go easy many times in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed because the game is structured around long, comfortable leads, and it's just boring when you take the lead and nothing can stop you.

Brunosky_Inc

NNID
Brunosky_Inc
As I said, I only consider pulling back when it's obvious my team is overpowering the handicapped team. Plenty of times you'll have an amazing trio of players that will be able to hold their own in Turf War.

Regarding low level players, I'm usually not observant enough during battles to notice who is the squid I'm shooting at. However, I've had times where I've decided to go with suppressive fire against players who are clearly still learning the ropes.

I had one time where I cornered a player in Flounder Heights, and it looked like they figured out right in that moment that swimming up walls to move around and escape was a valid tactic. I like to think I helped them figure out a little more of the game.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
Sure, force people to stay in a match they lost before it even started for five minutes. I'm sure they're all real grateful you guys held back.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Most of the time, no mercy.

In 4v3s however if we have them backed to their half I usually go on passive guard and look down on the game pad to route and take out anybody trying to sneak by. If they're really in a bad situation I just like to be a jerk and splat them walking out of their spawn sometimes.

For low levels I really don't pay too much attention to levels so I'm pretty indifferent about it.

Brunosky_Inc

NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Sure, force people to stay in a match they lost before it even started for five minutes. I'm sure they're all real grateful you guys held back.
Pretty much all of us have been saying that if we consider holding back, it's only in Turf War; 3 minutes per match, no question.

Besides, we've also been saying that there's a tactical advantage to having someone stay off the enemy spawn, and that just because it's a 3 to 4 it doesn't mean that you won't come across some amazing trio of players.

Besides, how in the fresh hell is holding back in Turf War "forcing them to stay"?

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I mostly just play Turf War, so yes I'll yell a lot more "Booyah" and do squid party behaviour if I see they're missin' a dude.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I never really notice, and it makes me feel bad when my team inevitably wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom