Do you play Comp Splatoon 3?

Do you play comp Splatoon?

• Total voters

flurrymk

Inkling
Former competitive player during Splatoon 2. Ended up quitting because the game was not fun (I played Armor spam) and I was about to enter college. Now that I'm almost 3 years in I can certainly say I would not have had the time nor space for comp haha. I did play for Indigo (more of a pickup group), License to Krill, and Notorious while I was more active though.

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
I did for a long while - But decided to go on a break but that’s now turned into strictly casual, I suppose it can be both stressful and time consuming for me. It was exciting whilst it lasted though, making new friends along the way was also a plus. Good luck to those in teams or looking to join one!

Suchi

The Eternal Dualie Squelchers User
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-3685-3474-1994
I captain a circa. div 7 team called the S Fighters. My teammates are super awesome and fun.

IMG_2800.jpeg

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i'm probably gonna at least get into sendouq next season to try stuff out, not sure if i'm ever gonna do proper tournament attempts with others but it sounds fun so i could see myself doing it eventually!

reelrollsweat

Pro Squid
i played on a low level team for a little bit over the summer and realized comp requires a lot of time and energy and motivation that i dont have </3 even tho i dont think im cut out to play comp it still really interests me and i have a lot of respect for full time comp players. i also have a lot of splatoon ocs who are comp players so im just living deliciously thru them atm LOL

Akainacephalus

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
NNID
BadgerPuff
Switch Friend Code
SW-7029-8035-3132
i'm the liter/vcharger player for eggshells! we got second place in div 3 of luti last season :] (we lost in finals to the team we beat in groups, so tragic!!)

Lerno1

Inkling
I'm a strictly casual player. I enjoy hearing about what goes on in the comp scene and try to adapt advice for comp play to my own strategy but my personal skill is just too inconsistent when I also factor many personal life variables as a full-time student - I just do not have the time nor energy to dedicate to it, and I doubt I will ever really pursue it.

With that said, I do really enjoy just discussing the game and hopping on Open with some friends! It's the pressure of getting results, and the practice that comes with that, that is just not appealing to me, and I respect anyone who is able to properly slot it in their schedule and enjoy it.

Pineapple Death Match

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4487-0366-3601
I've thought about trying competitive but there are two big barriers to entry I'm dealing with rn:

1) I have exactly one (1) friend who plays splatoon, and we have very wildly different schedules: I have a full time job and work weird hours; they are still in school and unlike me they have a social life (meaning that as self depricating but in a lighthearted way)

2) I am just kinda dogwater tbqh. I haven't tried any of the competitive modes bc, well, see above. No friends to play with + overwhelming number of tryhards to contend with in soloqueue = no thanks 😅

Bonus barrier: esports favors the young, and I am very rapidly aging out as I'm in my mid 20's. From what little I've observed this isn't as big of a deal/problem in Splatoon in comparison to other esports/competitive games, which is why I don't really include it in my Big 2, but in combination with the previous barriers it's another dis-incentive.

Astro Dwarf

Inkling
Was playing on Spark Celadon last year. Currently a free agents. I am thinking of starting my own team called "Coughing Baby" (for no reason whatsoever), and catering to one trick weapons. I've found getting on a team with a unique weapon like carbon or tent is difficult as everyone wants generic shooters on their team.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I've thought about trying competitive but there are two big barriers to entry I'm dealing with rn:

1) I have exactly one (1) friend who plays splatoon, and we have very wildly different schedules: I have a full time job and work weird hours; they are still in school and unlike me they have a social life (meaning that as self depricating but in a lighthearted way)

2) I am just kinda dogwater tbqh. I haven't tried any of the competitive modes bc, well, see above. No friends to play with + overwhelming number of tryhards to contend with in soloqueue = no thanks 😅

Bonus barrier: esports favors the young, and I am very rapidly aging out as I'm in my mid 20's. From what little I've observed this isn't as big of a deal/problem in Splatoon in comparison to other esports/competitive games, which is why I don't really include it in my Big 2, but in combination with the previous barriers it's another dis-incentive.
This is similar to where I'm at too -- very few friends that play and none of them interested in competetive, my skills have a long (long..... long....) way to go, and I'm significantly older than most of the playerbase. This is also basically the first shooter I've played to any serious extent and my mechanics and game sense are just leagues behind those of the kids who grew up playing these types of games. I worry between aging hands and not being as fast of a learner as I once was, I may never catch up.

Against the odds though I still really, really want to try, if the scene is still active by the time I improve enough to feel comfortable looking for a team (I'd... at least like to get to S first). I'm not necessarily looking to Be The Very Best Like No One Ever Was, but I'd really like to have the experience one day of being part of a lighthearted but improvement-driven team, learning how to coordinate in a group setting and build each other up and work towards a common goal together, even at very low level. Team sports is just something I totally missed out on as a kid between overprotective parents, a debilitating fear of failure (let alone competition), and extreme social anxiety. I hope it won't be too late for me, hah.

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
Against the odds though I still really, really want to try, if the scene is still active by the time I improve enough to feel comfortable looking for a team (I'd... at least like to get to S first). I'm not necessarily looking to Be The Very Best Like No One Ever Was, but I'd really like to have the experience one day of being part of a lighthearted but improvement-driven team, learning how to coordinate in a group setting and build each other up and work towards a common goal together, even at very low level. Team sports is just something I totally missed out on as a kid between overprotective parents, a debilitating fear of failure (let alone competition), and extreme social anxiety. I hope it won't be too late for me, hah.
this is kinda how i'm trying to approach competitive too! before splatoon i was never really into competitive games (unless getting really sweaty over review kahoots in school counts) and i just don't feel like i have the coordination, reaction time, etc... to ever hit top level. but similar to you i'd like to just have a team to improve alongside and have fun with, as well as to make good connections with other players outside of my (eventual) team.

and i doubt it'll be too late! even if you wait until you rank up a little more, i really don't expect the scene to be going anywhere anytime soon. splatoon 3's life cycle isn't over yet, and there's so many people with so much passion for this game that i think that as long as the servers are online (and maybe even after), there's gonna be a competitive scene.

that being said, i spent like a year going 'i can't make my first steps into the comp scene yet, i'm too busy, my setup isn't right, i'm not good enough, it's not time--' and i honestly wish i'd just tried it a little earlier. so for anyone in that position of wanting to get into competitive, but feeling like you're not good enough - if you feel ready, or you feel like pushing yourself to be ready, i'd start with low-level free agent-friendly events like junior's draft (that one in particular has a skill cap of A+ rank), to get experience if nothing else. you have nothing to lose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom