Dynamo Appreciation

Pix

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pixxyofflames
Switch Friend Code
SW-0436-5764-8697
It still feels so weak for me, like no difference whatsoever. I'm still having to hit people 3-4 times and it feels like I die to everything even when I'm trying not to. Every time I try to initiate a push I die and any time I try to play more actively, I die. I end up spending the whole match just painting and hoping my team doesn't die again. I feel like I never get to actually play.
Another 0-3 series

I'm never gonna be good at this game. Why do I even try if I lose no matter what?

I don't get why it's so easy for everyone except me. Is it cuz you guys have people to play with? I'm all alone and don't have any splatoon friends so I just play and lose in solo nonstop until I get so frustrated I start crying because no matter how hard I try I lose every game.
... wow, uh. For a while, i only had me to play with, and I got pretty good before even trying to join a team. For me, Dynamo is like... yes, it can be strong, but you have to pick and choose your battles, and trying to go forward without a plan is a pretty surefire way to get yourself splatted and leave your team at a disadvantage.

I might have to take a look at your replays later when I have some time. I love having the power just vaguely there, threatening, and knowing your ranges via practicing them. Knowing your weapon matchups and getting better at them. maybe i could also hand over some dynamo replays of my own that i got recently just for you to compare and contrast how I take situations?

Playing dynamo is a balancing act, and it's one you can only get better at with time. and if you still can't get it, that's okay. It's fine to move onto other weapons sometimes! getting skills from other weapons to apply to dynamo can be fun sometimes.

Uh. Hm. Yeah, might grab some match replays soon.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
Another 0-3 series

I'm never gonna be good at this game. Why do I even try if I lose no matter what?

I don't get why it's so easy for everyone except me. Is it cuz you guys have people to play with? I'm all alone and don't have any splatoon friends so I just play and lose in solo nonstop until I get so frustrated I start crying because no matter how hard I try I lose every game.
wow okay your mental is in the pits. will post some things here later to try to help but my biggest piece of advice is have some faith in yourself. you're probably reaching a roadblock, not a plateau. it will eventually clear if you work towards getting past it. not all improvement just comes naturally.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
RJ1E-35K8-5PA2-DVKS
ok finally getting around to this. just finished watching the first game and i have some immediate notes.

• you seem extremely scared to move forward, you play as far back as an eliter and refuse to ever move up with your team except when you're needed to ride tower
  • scared of literally any confrontation too, no matter how advantaged
  • your cooler positioning could use some work, a lot of the times your teammates were forced to move back for it or it was so far back they couldnt get it at all (or you used it on the tower), which is a byproduct of how insanely overly passive your play is
  • you spent the last 40 seconds or so pouting like a toddler. i have negative respect for you, and am only giving you advice past this point out of obligation. play the game out, grow up.
if i decide to watch the rest of the replays, ill probably group their notes together instead

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
i played a good amount of kensamo near the end of s2 but ive really been neglecting dynamo in s3 :-( ive been putting most of my time into expanding my weapon pool to other splatlings/chargers/tristringer so now dynamo is just my side chick that i play every once in a while. i still havent 4 starred gold dynamo yet, hopefully the recent buff can motivate me to pick it back up lol

Cursed

Inkling
nothing in this game came close to how satisfying dynamo felt when I first used it. The insane risk/reward combined with the lethality of every swing. It feels so good to crush opponents in a single hit, and even more so from a so called throw pick. To me, this nothing else will ever compare to dynamo in terms of raw power and fun.

Cursed

Inkling
I know I suck, help me figure out why
RJ1E-35K8-5PA2-DVKS
RX6U-40MQ-XUQX-PNA4
RJHB-E2UV-ALS5-A2XA
R7UP-YL3D-DJ8B-XG5Y
RHVX-PHA6-V0LM-9U8L
Some notes on the 4th game
4:25 - You seem uber scared to push into mid here. With no enemies contesting it (except the shot thats not there yet) you should move in and claim that space
4:05 - I would've contested basket with bombs instead of painting spawn since the enemies were actively scoring points here
3:10 - Watch your ink!! be sure you got enough before initiating a fight
2:45 - You stay on mid ramp for a very long time. 1 or 2 flicks is totally fine but I wouldn't keep standing there when theres 2 undamaged enemies in front of your and possibly another on snipe ready to bomb/shoot you out.
1:45 - Trying a 1v1 on a heavy edit on flat ground is a no no. Recognize who you are attacking before you commit to flick in this situation. I would've thrown a bomb and backed off or hid behind the left wall before committing to a flick
1:10 - uh did you just give up
0;50 - Chumps needs to be pushed off of to make it a worthwhile special. tossing it out on its own does nothing, be sure you have you or your team ready to agress or have other specials to be used with chumps to take space.
0:10 - you can't just give up mid game man

overall
- I would use verticals more. the extra range is invaluable in certain scenarios. Super useful tool for securing kills or threatening enemies from a safe range
- Be aware of your team and the enemy team (where they are/what they are currently doing/do they have special)!! Its an incredibly hard skill to learn but this is one of the best ways to improve your general game play
- Play walls/high ground more. Dynamo hugely favors both of these, having any sort of terrain in between you and the enemy increases your survivability so much while still letting you threaten the enemy

D

Deleted member

ok finally getting around to this. just finished watching the first game and i have some immediate notes.

• you seem extremely scared to move forward, you play as far back as an eliter and refuse to ever move up with your team except when you're needed to ride tower
  • scared of literally any confrontation too, no matter how advantaged
  • your cooler positioning could use some work, a lot of the times your teammates were forced to move back for it or it was so far back they couldnt get it at all (or you used it on the tower), which is a byproduct of how insanely overly passive your play is
  • you spent the last 40 seconds or so pouting like a toddler. i have negative respect for you, and am only giving you advice past this point out of obligation. play the game out, grow up.
if i decide to watch the rest of the replays, ill probably group their notes together instead
What's the point of wasting my energy trying to win a match I've already lost? Better to just accept it.

SquidAbortions

Senior Squid
If I wanted to pick up Dynamo today, which version should I use? The vanilla or the other one?

What's the point of wasting my energy trying to win a match I've already lost? Better to just accept it.
Why did you bother asking for help . Two people both said " you shouldnt have given up" oh my god MID match or for 40 seconds ?

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
i dont believe in there being a point in a match where you've "already lost", and you're robbing your team of their ability to push for it. maybe you at least get to like, 10 points remaining before going down, but even then all of you walk away feeling better than you would if you were just beaten down.

D

Deleted member

i dont believe in there being a point in a match where you've "already lost", and you're robbing your team of their ability to push for it. maybe you at least get to like, 10 points remaining before going down, but even then all of you walk away feeling better than you would if you were just beaten down.
I never win anyway. It's not worth trying.

I fail at everything I do. It doesn't matter what advice I get or how hard I work to improve. I always fail. Things don't ever improve for me.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
If I wanted to pick up Dynamo today, which version should I use? The vanilla or the other one?

Why did you bother asking for help . Two people both said " you shouldnt have given up" oh my god MID match or for 40 seconds ?
vanilla is what id consider generally better. higher mobility with sprinkler, and with how easy it is for dynamo to die combined with how much it benefits from taking risky positions, having cooler respawn helps a ton, especially in solo where you arent guaranteed a cooler teammate. there are also times where ill place a cooler in spots where it protects me from either frontal fire or from an anchor sight line so i can play up more comfortably, just make sure it's also an actually good cooler spot too so your team can get value from it.

gold is a lot better in comp than in solo since you can run something like a zap 85 with it. regardless it is a lot different. no mobility and without sprinkler you may just die if you get stuck in enemy ink. for this reason you have to play a lot safer than vanilla. but, gold is given a splat bomb, which while extremely expensive, is a non-committal tool (especially compared to your flicks) that kills at a range dynamo would normally be doing like, 60 damage at best at. this makes it much better against some of its worst matchups, midlines and anchors, and adds an extra defensive tool to your arsenal. chumps are also nice for giving you an area to play in, with their instant paint and meatshield potential. this also gives you a retake tool, and dynamo is notoriously bad at retake normally. with how weak chumps are it isnt ideal, though. overall this is best in zones or vs some dynamo counterpicks.

SquidAbortions

Senior Squid
vanilla is what id consider generally better. higher mobility with sprinkler, and with how easy it is for dynamo to die combined with how much it benefits from taking risky positions, having cooler respawn helps a ton, especially in solo where you arent guaranteed a cooler teammate. there are also times where ill place a cooler in spots where it protects me from either frontal fire or from an anchor sight line so i can play up more comfortably, just make sure it's also an actually good cooler spot too so your team can get value from it.

gold is a lot better in comp than in solo since you can run something like a zap 85 with it. regardless it is a lot different. no mobility and without sprinkler you may just die if you get stuck in enemy ink. for this reason you have to play a lot safer than vanilla. but, gold is given a splat bomb, which while extremely expensive, is a non-committal tool (especially compared to your flicks) that kills at a range dynamo would normally be doing like, 60 damage at best at. this makes it much better against some of its worst matchups, midlines and anchors, and adds an extra defensive tool to your arsenal. chumps are also nice for giving you an area to play in, with their instant paint and meatshield potential. this also gives you a retake tool, and dynamo is notoriously bad at retake normally. with how weak chumps are it isnt ideal, though. overall this is best in zones or vs some dynamo counterpicks.
OH! This changes things because I just as leaning towards gold but now I'm down for Vanilla. ( I will need to practice sub strafing alot) and timing and the mechanics but honestly Vanilla seems the most helpful. Yeah retakes are difficult but I don't feel like Gold would be that helpful with retakes .... I mean yes chumps but If your team is tacticoolered , you can just focus on helping teammate when they use a retake special instead of chumps that could be destroyed by a (now)more common wavebreaker

JishTheFish

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0916-3665-4202
I don’t play dynamo frequently, but to me it’s one of those “even if it’s not good it’s still fun” weapons, and the kits aren’t too bad either. I love when I see people playing the weapon

Pix

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pixxyofflames
Switch Friend Code
SW-0436-5764-8697
honestly, i almost prefer gold dynamo in solo and vanilla dynamo in comp? might just be because i can be the cooler player still while everyone else has handy specials. in solo, i like having a bomb by my side. i suppose it is just preference, in the end.

i played dynamo in my scrim today, it was SOOOO fun to mess around and show off a bit why i mained the weapon for so long. i got kills!! IT FELT GOOD!!! love the power.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
honestly, i almost prefer gold dynamo in solo and vanilla dynamo in comp? might just be because i can be the cooler player still while everyone else has handy specials. in solo, i like having a bomb by my side. i suppose it is just preference, in the end.

i played dynamo in my scrim today, it was SOOOO fun to mess around and show off a bit why i mained the weapon for so long. i got kills!! IT FELT GOOD!!! love the power.
i def still prefer vanilla in both solo AND comp, just saying id rather not play gold in solo, while in comp im more open to the idea. i can see wanting the bomb in solo for the unpredictability of matchups youll run into, having to fight like, rapid + squeezer without a splat bomb is hell.

also scrimmed with dynamo today actually, just got off. the other team decided to experiment with it a little mid scrim after seeing me run it some, felt nice asl. we might be seeing a lot more of dynamo in comp, at least at lower levels. good time to be a dynamo player tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom