• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Favorite and Most Hated Things New Players do?

Ninwaifu

Inkling
NNID
Ninwaifu
I figure this would be a fun little thread since we got a fresh batch of noobies for Xmas. Now that they gotten familiar with the game and its not as easy to splat them as it was before (Although it isn't that hard still.) What do you like and/or hate about them?

Personally I love all the noob rollers that just charge forward. It so fun to back peddle from them, or watch them freak out when I jump over them. Pure gold.

Worse part about them by far for me is the miiverse post. No offense to Undertale fans (I personally love the game but...) The number of UnderTale post makes me want to slam my head against the game pad. It was just starting to go down than boom, new players. Now every Undertale post I see is from a level 6 or 9. (Again I enjoy UnderTale, it just every where atm and its getting annoying.), Or just some of the really dumb ones like "How do I activate my special?". Uggghhhh....

On a side note I feel bad for how hard I went on the noobs at first. I had it bad myself when I first started about a week or 2 ago when all I fought were level 50s and 40s, but at least I did research on splatoon and played other shooters competivly before.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I like how much they focus on covering turf and defensively they play, in contrast to how aggressively I developed in Ranked Battles.

I do not like how they randomly activate the Bubbler when no one is around them. For some reason they activate it right when I am about to approach them, even if I am playing extremely stealthily (in regards to them being my opponent). With experienced players, they activate it immediately when they spot an opponent, unlike novice players...

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I love them using rollers as if they were pre 2.20 nerf. I dislike their terrible miiverse posts.
"this game should be on xbox yeah if you agree"
"im the best at this game dont try to beat me" (Says a level 13, C-)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I really like it when new players can stay alive fairly long/are really easy targets on the opposite team.
I absolutely hate it when they place beacons on the spawn. If I had time to jump to them and get rid of them I would have.

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
"im the best at this game dont try to beat me" (Says a level 13, C-)

Someone should tell him that "beating on your scrubby friends does not make you the best at anything."

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Favorite: When they do stupid stuff on the enemy team.
Most hated: When they do stupid stuff on my team.

But seriously the worst is when they spam jump to you and get killed, especially when it's obvious that they're doing it just because you're playing well. The best is when a new player beats you and you have to sit down and re-evaluate how you're playing.

Switch Friend Code
SW-1979-9179-2672
I like it when they show early promise, ie: being way better than you expect a newbie to be. I've seen a few of these, and they're just bad enough that you can tell they're a newbie rather than a veteran using an alt, but still competent enough that you can see they'll go far.

I can't stand it when they put Beakons on the spawn!

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I hate those chargers who hide behind boxes witha full charge and peek out to kill. And because of internet connections sometimes burping, I never even see the laser sight to evade. Much sadness. But it doesn't happen twice. I usually stay away fromt hose areas that are vulnerable to that after it has happened once.

And I love it when a teammate tanks a shot from one of those chargers and I'm still alive. Hell yes.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
When newbies don't know how to attack with Kraken. Several times i saw an enemy Kraken cluelessly circling around one of my teammates not knowing what to do.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I feel bad, but I do love it when rollers charge straight at me instead of flicking. I was able to get several kills at close range with the rapid blaster with them right in front of me but never once flicked.

I hate when they overextend though. This isn't just a newbie problem, but turf hungry noobs do it more. Just because you CAN push into their turf doesn't mean you should. You'll get trapped and splatted and you'll drop your special. Unless your sole purpose is to quickly flank, then don't push into the enemy base by yourself.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I like how much they focus on covering turf and defensively they play, in contrast to how aggressively I developed in Ranked Battles.
I wish I could take some of these noobs with me on splatfest days. At least somebody on my team would be capable of covering turf instead of playing Team Deathmatch and leaving the sniper to paint the base.... :mad:

I hate those chargers who hide behind boxes witha full charge and peek out to kill. And because of internet connections sometimes burping, I never even see the laser sight to evade. Much sadness. But it doesn't happen twice. I usually stay away fromt hose areas that are vulnerable to that after it has happened once.
...I'm not so sure the flick shots from nowhere are genuine noobs...that takes skill. :cool: The lasers not even aiming at you before hitting you is just pure lag, though. That's more annoying against good snipers than noobs though.

The best is when a new player beats you and you have to sit down and re-evaluate how you're playing.
Yeah, trying a new weapon, getting stomped by a level 4, makes one think "yep, this weapon is not for me!"

My personal favorite is when they (probably by accident) start using super jump relatively better than the supposedly B rank players. In B rank, either nobody knows how to superjump, or jumps expressly to the front lines for an instasplat. Yet in TW games with a bunch of noobs I've had several noob teammates that figured out I was occupying a solid defensive position just inside our turf and routinely used me as a jump point - I'd cover their landing spot when they dropped! :)

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I do not like how they randomly activate the Bubbler when no one is around them. For some reason they activate it right when I am about to approach them, even if I am playing extremely stealthily (in regards to them being my opponent). With experienced players, they activate it immediately when they spot an opponent, unlike novice players...
They may not mean to do that. It may be because they haven't been able to control the right stick yet. I tried playing with a new weapon today, and during Turf Wars I kept accidentally clicking the R-stick and activating my special, when what I actually wanted to do was move the camera. I often got splatted because of this accident.

And isn't it a good sign when new players play defensively as opposed to just charging forward all the time?

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I can't stand it when they put Beakons on the spawn![/QUOTE said:
Heck, I see A level players putting beacons on spawn! What a bunch of dingods!

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I've always found it hilarious how if you shoot at a noob roller they'll almost always keep rolling rather than try to flick ink at you or swim away. XD What I hate is when an occasional noob somehow splats me simply by running me over from behind without me noticing. That's always a little embarrassing...

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I've always found it hilarious how if you shoot at a noob roller they'll almost always keep rolling rather than try to flick ink at you or swim away. XD What I hate is when an occasional noob somehow splats me simply by running me over from behind without me noticing. That's always a little embarrassing...
Or more embarrassing: they survived a fight and are now covered in your color, so you ignore them. "Wait, our team doesn't have a ro--*respawn*"

And I can't fault roll happy roller noobs, but I hate when they unintentionally roll over me when I'm hiding or what-not whenever they're busy trying to ink over all of existence. So embarrassing too. Especially when they stop to ponder what just happened.

A favorite of mine is noob chargers--that aren't always new players--who try to poke you with the laser before ever shooting. Extra joy when you're playing with the noob charger in voice chat and keep baiting them off ledges. "So how's that scope working for you?" "@&##$@ you, Ansible!"

bagelcubed

Inkling
NNID
bageltrademark
This post is old as heck but I'll answer it anyway

My personal favourite moments are when you spot that one Tentatek shooting at the sky, running into walls (makes for an easy snipe >:3)
Other than that, it's probably when shooters coming running straight towards you while you're charging, clearly not aware how chargers work. On the other hand, it's really embarrassing when you somehow miss the shot and you get splatted by a noob running head on at you ;-;

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Standing around...
Inking nothing but the base... (ESPECIALLY IN RANKED (cough dani cough))
Following me...
Spamming C'mon a lot...

db132

Full Squid
A lot of the beakon at spawn stuff is caused by setting the controller down. A lot of times when you try to pick up a controller (or put down a controller), the shoulder buttons will get pressed into the ground since they stick out just slightly further than the shelf they rest on.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
A lot of the beakon at spawn stuff is caused by setting the controller down. A lot of times when you try to pick up a controller (or put down a controller), the shoulder buttons will get pressed into the ground since they stick out just slightly further than the shelf they rest on.
or they do that to be cute

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom