Favorite Map? [As Of Now]

Favorite Splatoon Map?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mitten

Inkling
NNID
Mittenothy
Saltspray Rig, and it's not even close. It's such a well designed map. The mall is terrible. Everybody just congregates in the middle.
The congregating in the middle is the best part. Makes everyone force into combat and whoever wins will be granted with progression. But the opposing team can stop said progression.

Electra

Inkling
NNID
caysapferg
Saltspray Rig takes the prize for me. I have a blast trying to gain control over that area on the top. I like the skatepark, as well. I feel like there aren't any specific "territories" to invade, it's just both teams claiming their turf.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Arowana Mall is my jam. I have a pretty good strategy system down for it. It's where I've gotten the most kills with my roller, although do not underestimate using the back walls to get to a place. Eats up some time but its been proven very useful.

digiholic

Inkling
NNID
digiholic
Definitely Saltspray Rig. The non-linearity of it allows for some really good strategic play, and the big area turns into a majorly fun war of attrition.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
I like Walleye Warehouse because of how intense the match is throughout the entire game.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
You know, I put Skatepark, just because it really is the most fun for me, the constant action across a whole map because it's so wide and open (no such thing as a team base, those things are in open season) but I have to give a lot of props to Saltspray. Definitely the most unique deisgn of all of the maps, makes the game a constand battle, you can't just gain control and start spawn camping, you can't spawn camp at all. You have to be watching the whole map and control the major points (mostly the top area) but you can't focus on just one, I can't tell you how many games I've lost because my whole team spent the last 30 seconds in that top area while the enemy team took the rest of the map.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
I think the reason Rig is my least favorite is the same reason everyone else likes it. I don't dislike it, per se, but I find that most of the matches there just become a battle of "grab the top section and hold it," which forces the opposing team to devote at least 1-2 members of their squad to that spot specifically. This is fine if the mode is Splat Zones, but it makes Turf Wars on that map wholly unenjoyable for me. It just goes against the fluidity and constant shifting of turf that I find makes Splatoon so enjoyable.

My favorite maps (Blackbelly and Underpass), on the other hand, take that constant-flux concept and run with it. As long as the teams are relatively close in skill, turf never seems to stay one color for too long. It's difficult to find choke points, and I like that about those maps. You have to have incredible map awareness and be active at all times if you hope to win.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
Rig is my most favorite. I love the different map mechanics and control points it has which actually makes it feel like a map wide war. Instead of focusing on one place you have multiple places to cap so it makes it fun. While your fighting at crates your team can be fighting at mid and such. It also is big enough for techniques such as flanking and different tactics to be able to be used.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Blackbelly Skatepark, it's just so bumpy and weird. I like it. :)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Depends on the mode, really.
In Turf War, Urchin Underpass is my favorite; it's a fun tug-of-war generally, but I like it most because it's easy for me to reach the center, then take the corridor into their territory, splatting people if I can, sometimes just going back to the center through their opening and covering that (with varying success). Saltspray is fun too because there's so much ground to cover and I can't get spawncamped, but not being able to ink everywhere will always annoy me, and while I like Port Mackerel for its corridors and elevated areas, I just can't keep track of everything like I'd like to (I have the same problem on Saltspray). Conversely, Arowana Mall is too easy to sneak into the enemy base on and the center gets really congested generally, Walleye Warehouse is too easy to get overrun on, and Blackbelly Skatepark is just too open for me (so is Walleye, for that matter).
In Splat Zones, Underpass is still a fun struggle, and Arowana and Walleye are still not that great to me, but the rest change for me. Now that there's a definite point to get to (instead of just "cover EVERYTHING"), Saltspray is somehow more hectic, which makes me like it more (though I swear it feels like that lower area should've had a Zone too). Blackbelly also has a more definite place to fight over, so the openness isn't a problem anymore, but now I'm a bit lost, since getting the central platform still doesn't feel that important unless the other team has it. Port Mackerel became a fast favorite in Splat Zones, since I can get around quickly (Seekers, throw one and follow the trail to replenish my ink and it'll splat anyone it hits, which is nice too) and harass enemies at their zone easily while still being able to defend either zone if needed (thank you, .52 Gal Deco).
So overall, I think my favorite for now is Port Mackerel, mostly for the varied ways that I feel like it can go (the corridors are worth a surprising amount, especially the ones to the left and right of each spawn point). I feel like it's always up in the air when I'm on this level, unlike a few others (Underpass comes to mind at times, so does Walleye in general) where I keep getting barely near the center before getting splatted.

KrackenMeUp

Inkling
NNID
WolfDS3
Blackbelly Skatepark! Love how open plan it feels unlike some of the other incredibly narrows maps that are famous for their choke-points. Plus the half pipes and other ramps are alot of fun to swim over.

Holder of the Heel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roarfang
I'm not so sure I have a favorite. They all have a quality that I enjoy. Blackbelly Skatepark is hilarious because it's so easy to go from one end to the other, splashing paint in the base, running back to the tower over looking the center, and such so it's a constant flux as has been mentioned. No one seems to mention Port Mackerel, but I always enjoyed the narrow pathways in terms of rollers, seekers, choking down opponents, etc. Saltspray Rig has a great start where you can avoid those moments of "Who is going with who, where can I go on my own, etc." because there's so many ways to drop down and cover (a strange reason to appreciate a match as a whole I guess, it's just a satisfying tone to begin with). Urchin Underpass has a great base for battle. Arowana Mall can be a very oppressive battle for the center (dat water though, how do I always find a way to jump into it... Camp Triggerfish might be a nightmare for me lol). If I have to pick a least favorite, it might be Walleye Warehouse, though I don't hate it. Just don't like the bases and the center area isn't incredibly redeeming.

If I were to ask for certain kinds of maps to be added, I'd like an almost circular design with a center over its entirety and would have a very clockwise, counterclockwise, or straight through the peak in the middle, kind of movement for the teams. Stages like Saltspray Rig that has multiple distinct segments would be nice as well. Basically, I don't want anything narrow to be added to what we have, for now at least.

MINUS

The Once and Future King
NNID
TRUEB7UE
Skatepark. I love how the match starts with all the awkward hills/terrain and the battles for mid tower are always a lot of fun.

MKFlame7

Inkling
NNID
t-bone4
Saltspray or Kelp. Both have nice features, look great and are lots of fun to play on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom