• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Favorite weapon you don't main?

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
I think weapon design is easily one of the best parts of Splatoon, and even weapons I don't like playing I often find myself admiring for other reasons like visual or audio design, so, I ask, what are some weapons you don't main that you still really like, and why?

For me, I think my answers are probably Carbon Roller (Vanilla or Deco), Glooga Dualies, and E-liter. For Carbon, they're a weapon that while I don't play, I definitely think I would really enjoy playing if I did. I really like fast kill speed short range range weapons, and while Carbon Deco gets the benefit of Burst combos, I think vCarbon getting Zip is really cool.

For Glooga Dualies, I actually genuinely hate playing them. I have a personal goal to 3 star every Dualie (Currently achieved, but obviously the new season and new Dualies released means it's time to get back on that Dualie grind!), and I can not stand the way Gloogas play. But man. That sound design. The sound design of Splatoon as a whole is really good, but I feel like Gloogas really hit the nail on the head. Like, yeah, if you jerry-rigged a glue gun to shoot glue sticks, that's what it'd sound like alright. I'm just obsessed with how good they sound

E-liter is in a similar boat to Gloogas, I hate playing it (...kind of. Despite doing unbelievably worse with Chargers due to my inability to aim, I actually like them more than Gloogas), but the sound design just absolutely works. E-liter also gets extra points for just feeling powerful, the loud shot sound, long range, and 1-shot ability just make it feel strong and intimidating, despite the fact it's absolutely not when its in my hands, but that feeling of immense power makes it still fun to use for me

☆Brody☆

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4277-5054-4618
Splat Brella would be my pick. Brellas as a class are just really cool but the basic Splat Brella is just so cool to watch people play and how they use the sheild so effectively and cleanly. Just a really cool weapon with some really cool tech. I tried it a bit but couldn’t really get into it so I have a lot of respect for the people trying to push the weapon.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
Splat Brella would be my pick. Brellas as a class are just really cool but the basic Splat Brella is just so cool to watch people play and how they use the sheild so effectively and cleanly. Just a really cool weapon with some really cool tech. I tried it a bit but couldn’t really get into it so I have a lot of respect for the people trying to push the weapon.
Oh I COMPLETELY agree. Getting splatted by a good Brella user always tempts me, like ohhh man look at how they're using their shield so well, but man I am just. not. a Brella player. Maybe I'll enjoy the new one!

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I don't really know what I'd call a "main." Like I play a lot of shooters, every sword, and at the start of the game Inkbrush, but what beyond that? I had this two month period where a majority of my games were on Ballpoint because it was fun, but it was and still is far from my best weapon. If stuff like that doesn't count for this then I'd say probably Luna Neo. Love the up-close fighting but the value you get out of Stamp feels way too inconsistent. When you can do stuff with Stamp the weapon's a ton of fun, but when you can't it feels horrible compared to something like vanilla Wiper where the main weapon is a lot better.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
hmm maybe Tristringer, it's a very complex weapon design and has a lot of tricks
Oh definitely. I STILL think about the trickshot a Tri-stringer got on me once, I was halfway up the tower on Hagglefish TC, and they managed to hit an arc shot to snipe me from the other side of the stage, facing AWAY from where I was. Genuinely I have never been more impressed with a shot in my life. I hope they clipped that because that was an utterly insane shot. I also enjoy Tri-stringer whenever I get it during random weapon challenges, so it's definitely a fun weapon, even if it's not something I can play longterm!

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
dualie squelchers.... even tho theyre a little undertuned in this game i think conceptually theyre really cool and i wish they were better. i dream abt picking them up but i'm bad at dualies </3

AdphæeXD

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-0440-1499-8900
This game is full of very vibrant weapons, but I would say the weapon I admire most is Squiffer. I, a Nautilus player, see Squiffer as the Nautilus of chargers. We both have an interesting gimmick that helps with movement, we are both mid-range weapons in classes dominated by anchors, we both got point sensor, and we both want a recall special on our next kit (Squiffer got their's, let's how Nautilus gets hers.) There are just so many similarities between Naut and Squiff, but Squiffer still plays drastically different, and seems so much better for clips and trickshots. I just love Squiffer because it is so much like Naut, while still being completely different.

ikebro

Full Squid
Pronouns
any/pronouns
i'd say the e-liter, it's very fun and i frequently find myself picking it up whenever i wanna play without the pressure of winning. i've even 4-starred it.... somehow.

☆Brody☆

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4277-5054-4618
This game is full of very vibrant weapons, but I would say the weapon I admire most is Squiffer. I, a Nautilus player, see Squiffer as the Nautilus of chargers. We both have an interesting gimmick that helps with movement, we are both mid-range weapons in classes dominated by anchors, we both got point sensor, and we both want a recall special on our next kit (Squiffer got their's, let's how Nautilus gets hers.) There are just so many similarities between Naut and Squiff, but Squiffer still plays drastically different, and seems so much better for clips and trickshots. I just love Squiffer because it is so much like Naut, while still being completely different.
I think squiffer is rad, i could never play it in comp but the times i get it in salmon run and play it casually i have a good time
I’m currently trying to main squiffer because it’s a really cool main weapon and it’s about to get an even cooler kit. But it is a very difficult weapon 😅

cipsbsndj

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0937-9859-6660
As a Wiper main, I admire Splatana Stamper as a really cool weapon that I am not very good with

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Same!! Both Splatanas for me honestly. Super interesting main weapons mechanically, the stamper skill ceiling especially seems REALLY high. Definitely not my type of play though.
H3 also just for the unique kill sound that must provide so much dopamine to H3 mains

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
Big Swig, 100%. It's such a weird and eclectic mix of properties, painting an ABSURD amount, having gigantic hitboxes, throwing around chip damage, and loading up on object damage (break a Splash Wall in one hit, woooo!), I don't think about any other weapon's weird strengths quite so much.

I think that, theoretically, Big Swig is a really good weapon, but in the case of theoretical good weapons, it's almost always a consistency thing. If this weapon's vertical swings had a better hitbox and maybe some damage-range extensions, it could really be a fun force. But presently, I'm just happy every time I play it trying to think of how to leverage what it does!

LotusBunny

Inkling
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4671-8427-5896
Bamboozler, I have a strong admiration for people able to master underrated or weaker weapons in games and I think this is a great example of it, it's such a strange little piece of work, despite being a charger it's just so much different gameplay wise than any of the others. But at the same time it is still a charger and I'm not a huge fan of playing them overall.

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Explosher. Easy. I love that thing it's so fun and it looks so cool. I love my heavyweight backlines and that's my second favorite one. I played it in comp for a bit, but the kit was really holding it back in modes that do not start with Z and end in ones. I was hoping to pick it back up when Cexplo came out

Yes the new kit hurts my very soul and I will never physically, emotionally or financially recover from this.

Last edited:

nineball

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
definitely the splatterscope. the dopamine you get from hitting a quickscope is unmatched by any other weapon, and by using the splatterscope, my aim has gotten a lot more consistent when using other weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom