Favourite and Least Favourite Stages!

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
new least favorite for turf war may be bluefin depot. i really liked this stage at first but it's so annoying for the squiffer. i can hold almost any area, but it's hard for me to move around and i have no control over what happens on the other half of the map. other stages like kelp dome are also hard to hold, but they're more maneuverable since they don't have you creating and climbing walls. bass skatepark has similar problems with elevation making it hard for me (if i used a machine gun i imagine moving around would be a breeze), but it's smaller that i can see where i need to go and can get there promptly.

bluefin seems to be pretty fun for rainmaker, though?
This! As a fellow Squiffer, this is my most hated stage. Second most hated map is the Skatepark. I just cant stand those 2 maps.

Best maps: Walleye Warehouse, Port Mackeral.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
I generally like the simpler maps. The Warehouse, the Port, the Skatepark.

Moray Towers, Bluefin Depot... well if these are in ranked, I'll play turf. If they're in turf, I'll play ranked.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Most favourite map based on results that i've had: Kelp dome
Worst map forever: Arowana Mall.

Saltspray is an honorable mention for 2nd favourite.

TopCrow85

Inkling
NNID
TopCrow85
Favourite Stages:

Walleye Warehouse - A close-quarters stage: it is complementary to my style of play, as I have a preference for short-range weaponry.

Port Mackerel - A complex stage with many twists and turns, which give players freedom in their navigation. The forklifts add an interesting dynamic. When playing on this stage, it is easy for me to sneak up on the opposing team and either splat them from behind or begin inking their turf.

Least Favourite Stage(s):

Moray Towers - A very open and linear stage: there is very little in terms of alternate navigation routes on this stage, which means that the opposing team knows where you will be coming from. I have difficulty performing well on this stage due to this.

Arowana Mall - Middle ramp. Enough said.

Last edited:

Kipst3r

Inkling
NNID
Kipst3r
My opinions on the maps change wildly depending on the mode. Some maps are easier/more fun on certain modes.

For Turf War, it's definitely Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish. That new stage, Flounder Heights, I'm enjoying in Turf Wars too.
As for least favorites, I don't like Moray Towers and Arowana Mall. I also have mixed feelings for Blackbelly Skatepark.

For Splat Zones, I haven't played on all the stages yet, but I like Arowana Mall, Walleye Warehouse, and again, the new Flounder Heights.

I'm not that into Tower Control (partially because I suck at it) but I like Walleye Warehouse. As for least favorite, all the water in Camp Triggerfish annoys me.

And for Rainmaker, I haaaate Walleye Warehouse because of how quick they end. I mean, a lot of Rainmaker battles tend to end quickly but they end the quickest here. I like Bluefin Depot for this mode, since it's at least somewhat harder to get to the other side.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Favourites:
(1) Port Mackerel: My favourite Brush ground. With a little care you can claim lots of turf extremely fast, then change modes to ambush/intercept to protect territory.
(2) Kelp Dome: Large, open, sprawling. The Brush techniques I learnt let me reliably score big on Turf War even if my team can't capitalize on my turf pushing.
(3) Flounders Heights: Another map I reliably score natural 1000p on. Lots of altroutes, sniper shadow under their FOV, and many ways to evade pursuit and circle around for ambush.

Least Favourites:
(1) Moray Towers: Sniper and Roller heaven. Noveau Brush works well here, but it's too easy to get locked out of the middle.
(2) Bluefin Depot: Two adjecent fronts means E-Liter snipers can lock down the low ground extremely hard. While brush users can harass well, the layout actually favours our rival Roller and Slosher melee users.
(3) Saltspray Rig: Low ground too easy to get locked down by roller or charger. High ground always heavily contested and difficult for Brush users to find and ambush targets-of-opportunity, since there's a lot of sneaky Roller ambushes that will go top to counter you.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Turf War

Favorite: Flounder Heights - you can go almost everywhere and a lot of walls to climb! Many strategic points where you can hide. Urchin Underpass is also pretty cool, even after the remodel, again due to the various paths you can choose.
Least favorite: Walleye Warehouse - I don't know, seems to small to me. Plus a good team can easily corner the opposition in their base due to the lack of paths from there.

Splat Zones

Favorite: Camp Triggerfish - you can reach a splat zone from the other using ranged weapons, a lot of possibilities to move around to counter defensive measures (chargers, splash walls, etc.). Overall a great map.
Least favorite: Moray Towers - place a charger user on those spots near the middle section and place a roller or a a shooter above the splatzone and good luck taking it.

Tower Control

Favorite: Camp Triggerfish - seriously this map was really well done for this mode. Many locations to attack the tower, two lanes to cover and a good distance for the tower to travel so games aren't too short.
Least favorite: Walleye Warehouse - when the tower exits the middle (which doesn't take long) you can only attack from the front. You can win or lose games in a heartbeat.

Rainmaker

Favorite: Kelp Dome - a lot of movement options there, two different paths you can take.
Least favorite: Blackbelly Skatepark - games can be too short here. If someone grabs the rainmaker and the team kills everyone around it's GG. Saltspray Rig can be annoying if the team in the lead decides to camp in the upper section of the map for the rest of the match.

Kudane

Inkling
NNID
Spacelier
I guess my favourites would be Kelp Dome and Flounder Heights. Both of these stages just lend themselves so well to every mode and are an absolute blast to play on every time. It helps that total lock-downs are harder to do here than other stages.

Least favourite is definitely Bluefin Depot. My goodness, this stage is one I dread and, for some reason, it has been in rotation a heck of a lot recently. Not only is it difficult to get people who get to your side out, but trying to get to the other side can be a cumbersome exercise. I guess the only other stage I can sit there and truly dislike would be Arowana Mall. That one choke point makes it ridiculous to come back from if you ever lose it. Lord help you if it's Rainmaker...

Shalnark

Full Squid
I like Port Mackerel in splat zones and turf war because it promotes defensive play and ink coverage more than any other map. The three narrow corridors in the center of the map make approaching the other side of the map more difficult than usual. There is no way to flank; every time you travel from one side of the map to the other, assuming the match is neutral, your presence will be known. Weapons with splash walls, high range, or sometimes even suction bombs have a significant advantage when pushing through or defending the corridors. This leads to some interesting battles in which the players constantly switch corridors or hide behind one of the crates in order to find an opening to the other side. These types of 1v1 battles are a lot of fun for me.

This map promotes ink coverage more than any other because of how linear the layout is. If 80% of the map is covered in your ink, you can easily detect the enemies' approaches and maintain a strong defense. Once your team reaches the other side of the map, blocking the two corridors at the enemies' base is simple, and in this scenario, the enemies will have to approach the middle of the map through their alleys (you should anticipate this) and/or charge up their specials by shooting over your ink. If a teammate dies while on defense, you can hide behind a crate and let them super jump back. On this map, comebacks are realisticly possible, but extremely difficult.

I like this map in tower control as well because there are so many opportunities to effectively use splash walls for the objective. They are probably overpowered, but it makes gameplay more interesting. I'm not a fan of this mode in rainmaker because of how simple the gameplay is, but I admit I haven't played it that much.

This is unrelated to why I like the map, but it's worth noting. You can sometimes use the kraken to get to the enemies' alleys and control at least one of them. It works especially well with the 96 gal deco and krak on roller with the quick respawn gimmick.

I don't like Kelp Dome because it's very open. There are too many entrances that your team has to watch and too many flanking routes. It's not a bad map though, it's just my preference.

Aerotop

Inkling
I love Port Mackerel and Saltspray Rig, I usually have good matches on those. My least favorite is Moray Towers and Arowana Mall, simply because everything is so far apart. I normally use short-mid range weapons, which contributes, I guess.

Rran

Inkling
NNID
LeaveLuck2Heaven
For Turf War I prefer:
Saltspray Rig
Blackbelly Skatepark
Kelp Dome

Can't say I dislike any of the maps, buuuuttt if there's one map that I have a rich history of preforming poorly at, it's probably Moray Towers. God help me if the other team has a sniper on their side *grumble*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom