• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Finding out you do great with weapons you'd never expect

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I decided to give the Custom Jet Squelcher a try and actually went on to max out the amount of turf inked with it. I never thought I'd be good with one of these.
Solidarity, squelcher brother!
How do you guys use the Jet Squelchers so well, I can't use it that well, even though I use long range all the time. I've been trying to use them for the longest time, but they never fit me too well.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
How do you guys use the Jet Squelchers so well, I can't use it that well, even though I use long range all the time. I've been trying to use them for the longest time, but they never fit me too well.
Do you use it like a charger? That's probably part of the issue. While the Jet can snipe people readily enough, it's much better suited to harassment, zoning, and pressuring when used at maximum range. Being able to reliably ink the length of a football field is it's strength. Add in splash walls and/or burst bombs and you've got better odds of going toe to toe than your average charger.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Do you use it like a charger?
Yes
That's probably part of the issue.
D'oh
it's much better suited to harassment, zoning, and pressuring when used at maximum range
Yeah, I think I'm too kill focused when I use a jet, I seriously get triggered every time I land 4 shots on someone and they don't die, because I'm not too experienced with falloff damage, and I don't really know what gear to use with this.

I figured Damage Up would be alright, and Tenacity with the custom would be cool, but other than that I can't say for myself. Like, is it worth having run speed on this weapon? Is it worth having defense up on this weapon? Should I invest in sub saver, or ink saver main, or say screw it and go ink recovery? I'm also not too keen on shooters in general, so yeah... But at least I got some pretty accurate snipes, and some defensive mentality. :/

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yes

D'oh

Yeah, I think I'm too kill focused when I use a jet, I seriously get triggered every time I land 4 shots on someone and they don't die, because I'm not too experienced with falloff damage, and I don't really know what gear to use with this.

I figured Damage Up would be alright, and Tenacity with the custom would be cool, but other than that I can't say for myself. Like, is it worth having run speed on this weapon? Is it worth having defense up on this weapon? Should I invest in sub saver, or ink saver main, or say screw it and go ink recovery? I'm also not too keen on shooters in general, so yeah... But at least I got some pretty accurate snipes, and some defensive mentality. :/
One main of damage up is usually enough, as the Jet hits it's cap very quickly. Tenacity is handy, but it can depend wildly on the scenario. I'm not really a fan of run speed on the Jet, it's range is such that the mobility isn't really required. Swim speed's better for a weapon that can reach halfway across some stages. Ink recovery's probably the best choice in that field, because the Jet's tank is small enough that one main saver main adds 1 second of additional firing time, woooooo. Ink saver sub is usually something I don't recommend, it just doesn't do enough to justify it. Special charge up's delightful though, cause again, slow firing but massive range, it fills the gauge REAL quick.

Also, I recommend Quick Respawn, but I'm weird like that :p Still, I can say from experience that a sniper with QR is like a tick the enemy can't get rid of. As for falloff damage, it can be a little tricky. The weapon's inking range is fully identical to that of the splat charger but the killing ability stops a step before that. It takes some adjusting to, but love tap splats are definitely a thing.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
One main of damage up is usually enough, as the Jet hits it's cap very quickly. Tenacity is handy, but it can depend wildly on the scenario. I'm not really a fan of run speed on the Jet, it's range is such that the mobility isn't really required. Swim speed's better for a weapon that can reach halfway across some stages. Ink recovery's probably the best choice in that field, because the Jet's tank is small enough that one main saver main adds 1 second of additional firing time, woooooo. Ink saver sub is usually something I don't recommend, it just doesn't do enough to justify it. Special charge up's delightful though, cause again, slow firing but massive range, it fills the gauge REAL quick.

Also, I recommend Quick Respawn, but I'm weird like that :p Still, I can say from experience that a sniper with QR is like a tick the enemy can't get rid of. As for falloff damage, it can be a little tricky. The weapon's inking range is fully identical to that of the splat charger but the killing ability stops a step before that. It takes some adjusting to, but love tap splats are definitely a thing.
Okay, thank you. I'll try it out sometime when I'm in squads or something. Does this weapon perform like other defensive weapons in the sense that it kills up front attackers, and protects the team, or is this just some wierd thing you like to poke your opponents with? Because whenever I see a jet, I'm like "Look this kitty's got claws", before sniping the thing into the afterworld. I'm just asking this because I'm not used to the functions.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Okay, thank you. I'll try it out sometime when I'm in squads or something. Does this weapon perform like other defensive weapons in the sense that it kills up front attackers, and protects the team, or is this just some wierd thing you like to poke your opponents with? Because whenever I see a jet, I'm like "Look this kitty's got claws", before sniping the thing into the afterworld. I'm just asking this because I'm not used to the functions.
The role of the weapon's not dissimilar from the chargers you use, protecting the team and attacking from range. The difference is landing those kills is a bit more tricky, but then every non-charger weapon in this game has a time-to-kill measured in second fractions so it's hardly incapable in that regard.

Mystrite

Full Squid
NNID
toffee_too_too
I am S+ on my main and one alt, but my 2nd alt is A+, and I goof around with other weapons there.

Among my most crippling weakpoints in weapon classes, chargers have always been near the top.
I think its mostly agreed that in the Splatterscope family, Kelp has the best competitive kit. I remember reactions to the Bento being mixed when it was first announced, but I never really heard about anyone's experiences trying it out. Charger mains were pretty comfortable and E3K Custom and Kelp were pretty well established as the top range chargers in the meta.

Anyway, on my A+ account, the other day I picked up Bento and went like 12/2 or something in a match on Mahi Mahi Resort Rain Maker. Its key that I mention the rank in which I played, because A+ is really nowhere near the top (I'm sure I'd have been eaten alive in S or S+), but I figured my sniping was equivalent to that of a B player, at best.

I defend the Bento Splatterscope as being a very accessible charger for people who suck at chargers. The Splash Wall, man, even when I'm not sitting at a post, I can get splats if I put it up, back off a little and lay waste to an assailing shooter. The safety behind the wall can help me relax and aim better. And it might have a psychological effect, too, since I don't put up the wall before EVERY shot, obviously, but just knowing that I have the protection if I need it seems to make me perform better. And that's not all! Like the vanilla E3K, echolocator is a sniper's blessing. I have a protective wall, and I can see the locations of my enemies. Seasoned snipers will probably still defend other weapons as better for competitive play, and I respect that. But I main Splattershot Jr. Defense and protection are my playstyle. So I think Bento has the tools I need to be a comfortable and confident sniper. I don't think there's been a charger I have been more enthusiastic about studying more.

What are your thoughts on Bento Splatterscope? Do you have negative or positive experiences with it? Am I a total wussy for hiding behind the splash wall?????? stay 'tooned!
Bento was the thing that got me into chargers a few months ago. Now I main them.

The Meme Lord

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gravityfallsboy
When the original Inkbrush came out, I was terrible with it and left the Brushes for a really long time, favoring shooters. That all changed when the Octobrush came out, I figured I would try the Brush class again and I found my main. Now I main pretty much all Brushes and some of the Rollers

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When the original Inkbrush came out, I was terrible with it and left the Brushes for a really long time, favoring shooters. That all changed when the Octobrush came out, I figured I would try the Brush class again and I found my main. Now I main pretty much all Brushes and some of the Rollers
Brush master race
Inkbrush nouveau is barely my favorite.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
I've I posted about this before, but I was on a MASSIVE losing streak in Ranked while I was still in A Rank. Usually I play for fun but I was getting frustrated. So the day before I had played the Slosher for the first time for whatever reason and had some fun. So I said screw it and decided to use it, with my rank on the line. I just remember this amazing 7 game winning streak I had on Hammerhead Splat Zones. I was ecstatic, and I've been playing the Slosher ever since. However, I've never quite had the same crazy run as I did then. I mean I got kills I didn't even think I should've gotten at the time. And it wasn't that I got carried, I had a good KD all those games. It was miraculous.

Octobrush, since I always didn't do well on regular brush I thought I would suck at using octobrush, but turned out to be pretty decent :P
Also the slosher and mini splatling, hated the guns at first because everyone else used them and before they were ramped, but then I tried them out later and turned out to be pretty cool! :D

D

Deleted Member

I tried the H3 w/ Kraken I won at least 15 games with it and I can't really believe myself honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom