Finding the "Perfect" Sensitivity – Using Scientific & Anecdotal Data

Press

Inkling
I've seen quite a few tweets on the topic of sensitivities by top-level pros and average Joes alike. So as someone who spends way too much time thinking and talking about aim, I want to tell you how to improve your aim through settings and peripherals. This will primarily look at gyro sensitivities, though some basics still apply to stick settings as well.

As for my credentials, I've been playing shooters for over 25 years now – I was 22 when Splatoon 1 came out! These years were spent playing around and researching all kinds of settings, peripherals, forcing myself to change habits etc. But what I write here comes not only from decades-long experience, but also from research and discouse:

I work as a PhD student in the game studies and, as a 'side gig,' I look into how one can improve accessibility for control settings though peripherals and settings in competitive games. Furthermore, I 'work' in aiming communities for a few years now as one of the most active and visible members on all the mouse accel discords. I talk to Kovaak himself semi-regularly, have discussed sensitivities and aim settings with game devs and have contributed to software and research that tries to find the 'scientifically correct' sensitivity. While most of this concerns the PC/Mouse spaces, much of it still applies to gyro aim.

I will divide this post into five main sections:
  1. There is no “Perfect Sensitivity”
  2. Do not worry about Muscle Memory
  3. Finding the correct baseline sensitivity
  4. Practicing your aim correctly
1. There is no “Perfect Sensitivity”

Immediately, I want to expose myself as a clickbait scammer and contradict this post's own title. Despite common beliefs that there is a perfect sensitivity for everyone and that you will become a cracked aimer once you find it, this is not the case. In fact, it is the opposite: it is better to become good at many sensitivities then sticking to one! Here's why:
  • You are not a perfectly consistent machine. Many factors will contribute to how you aim. For example:
    • Maybe you are cold, and your wrists are more rigid than usual.
    • How much sleep you got and how awake you are affects your attentiveness and mobility.
    • Your food and level of hydration will impact your aim – more caffeine and sugar might make you shaky, being hungry or dehydrated can and will affect your ability to react.
    • How you sit in your chair/on your couch will change the angle at which you are aiming, and therefore the mechanics of aim themselves.
  • Your controllers are not perfect, affecting your aim in uncontrollable ways:
    • There is variation between gyro modules in controllers, meaning the same sens setting will feel different between controllers.
    • Deadzones between sticks are different and will change with use, which affects your stick aim.
All of this means that there are too many uncontrollable or “invisible” factors impacting how you aim from one day to another, or even within the same sitting. This, in turn, means that we can't rely on one setting to be perfect, but that we need to be able to adapt our settings to our needs.

In other words: We should not be looking for one perfect setting, but become good at changing our settings as needed!

There are some underappreciated benefits to changing your sensitivity regularly:
  1. You are forced to learn different styles of approaching a situation, since your deeply ingrained habits might not work as well anymore. This will, over time, improve your game sense and awareness, positioning, and aim.
  2. There is a “honeymoon period” after changing your sens where you pay more attention to your aim than usual. This renewed focus will almost immediately improve your aim.
  3. You will get a better understanding of your mechanical habits, strengths, and weaknesses; in turn, you can better identify what you need to work on and how.
So: The better you are at using multiple sensitivities, and the better you are at recognizing how you need to change your settings at any given moment, the better and more consistent you become as an aimer!

2. Do not worry about Muscle Memory

There is a lot of talk about how changing sensitivities would hurt your muscle memory; that, with new settings, you'd basically have to relearn aiming from scratch. But this could not be further from the truth.

Aim is not muscle memory. It's hand-eye-coordination.

That's what you improve at through regular play or with aim trainers. You can't hit people "with your eyes closed", no matter how much you train. There is no muscle memory to lose, and no inherent disadvantage to change. The opposite: the broader the spectrum of sensitivities you can use is, the better your hand control and hand-eye-coordination will become; and that is effectively what aiming is. And that hand-eye-coordination is pretty adaptable. The more sensitivities you try, the better you become at this, and the more adaptable (read: better) you become as an aimer.

Muscle memory is therefore really only relevant when it comes to more general approaches to game situations, and to highly repeatable acts of aiming like strict 180 turns. Thankfully, stick aim for gyro users takes care of that almost completely, so you can focus on improving hand-eye-coordination and proper setting choices through gyro alone!

Read the article here from Voltaic for more info: https://link.medium.com/wVSjDemrlab

And, while I was writing this, Viscose (a top-level aimer and Valorant player) posted a video on the same topic. If you prefer to learn in video format, give this a watch:

3. Finding the correct baseline sensitivity

This is by far the most subjective part of this post. But in the almost 11 years I've been using gyro aim and taught others how to use it, this approach has proven to be the most effective and workable by far. So here are my tips that should work for almost everyone:

The best way to think about gyro is to consider how you aim with a mouse. This depends on your sensitivity, of course, but generally mouse aim is divided into two parts: the stuff you do with your arm, and the stuff you do with your wrist.
  • Arm aim is used for big motions, like 180 turns, or for slow, steady, predictable tracking.
  • Wrist aim is where you do most of your effective aim; where you track strafing targets or quickly snap to opponents
Gyro alone works purely through the wrist by design, and you'd hurt yourself trying to do everything with it. This means, in effect, that something else needs to take care of the “arm aiming” part, and that's your right stick. So here's how I like to set it up:
  • Set your stick sens to a setting that allows you to quickly and consistently turn 180 degrees (from experience, this is between +3 and +5 for most people)
  • Set your gyro to a sensitivity that allows you to cover about 90 degrees to the left and right from any position without straining your wrists at all(so a 180 degree cone in front of you.)
    • Try to think of your wrists as a limiting factor that decides when your stick gets used. Just get a feeling for “past this point it's uncomfortable, so here I use the stick for turns”.
    • For really fast motions, you want to use both stick and gyro in unison, with about 50% effort for each. This is a matter of practice and will come automatically, just keep in mind that speed trumps precision for certain moves.
    • If everything is set up correctly, you should now be able to effortlessly move the cursor to anything inside and slightly outside your field of view. At the same time, moving your controller quickly and to the usable maximum of your wrist's range of motion should result in a pretty clean and reliable 180 flick.
This should be a great starting point, the details you can customize to your own liking with practice, increased comfort and the different demands of different weapons/roles.

4. Practicing your aim correctly

Let me start with the most important thing:
  • The targets in the lobby are bad for aim training!
    • They are mostly static targets in fixed locations, and even the moving targets move in a completely predictable speed and direction.
    • Doing aiming routines vs. them will only practice one thing: Hitting those specific targets. No real player will stand perfectly still in the same positions those target dummies are.
    • The lobby targets are therefore only good for warming up, and to practice the proper spacing and (re-)learning projectile speeds.
I don't want to throw Chase247 under the bus here, but this video here is one of the most frustrating instances of 'lobby aim trainer aim' I've ever seen:

Look at this scene at 5:55. Despite having plenty of time to line up a shot with the Bamboozler, he needlessly flicks onto the target, misses, and then needlessly flicks off the target to flick onto it again. He has almost certainly learned this type of suboptimal aim by doing too many flicking exercises on the lobby dummies, which translates into bad habits and bad plays. Remember: The best aim is consistent, not flashy!

So what to do instead?
  • The best practice comes from playing real matches, against real people. Go into an Open match, or find a group of people on SendouQ for this specific purpose, and just practice by looking for fights.
  • If you want a dedicated aim trainer for Splatoon and don't want to mess with setting up gyro controls in Aim Labs or whatever, you can try Vespher's free game, Squid Aimer: https://vespher.itch.io/squid-aimer

This is all I can think of for now. I will update this post if something new springs to mind, but feel free to ask any question or offer your own perspectives in the meantime!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

r u talking about Splatoon aim sensitivity or another game's aim sensitivity?

Press

Inkling
r u talking about Splatoon aim sensitivity or another game's aim sensitivity?
For these purposes, Splatoon, but the basic aiming principles are applicable to literally any shooter, and the gyro-specifics to any game that you want to use with gyro.

D

Deleted member

ok, I just put mine to the max because I use Areospray RG and just focus on covering the ground

CookieOCE

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2368-4461-2517
I've been using the same sensitivity the whole time Splatoon 3's been out (+2.5 motion +5 sticks) and after reading this I'm probably gonna give some different values a try. Thanks!

D

Deleted member

do +5 motion +5 sticks if u r going to do any some sort of fast shooting weapon.

exb0t

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3194-2861-5518
thank you for this post! I’m surprised i haven’t seen anyone talking about these methods to find sens before, this is way better than anything else i’ve seen people talk about. also made me rethink my stick aim (which i just set to 5.0 near the end of splatoon 2 assuming that it being used for fast movements meant the faster the movement the better), and turns out 3.5/4.0 is SO much better for me and i’ve been fighting against the stick for like 1200 hours lmao

dinsfire24

Inkling
I'll have to try this out, I've kinda just stuck with the same sensitivity for a long time out of convenience

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
Seems like for part 4 the work of the late K. Anders Ericsson on perfect practice would help immensely. Great write-up!

D

Deleted member

motion controls can have some negitive effects tho but I am not going to put them up here

Snikerop

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
This is a very novel take on sens and presented very cleanly. I'll have to try your methods.

While a little outside the scope of your post, I'm curious if you've noticed any sensitivity trends based on 'weapon type.' That is, whether this approach selects for, as an example, lower sensitivities on longer-range weapons on average. I could also imagine weapons with bigger hitboxes following that same trend, as another example. Though, I imagine that data is not easy to gather.

Press

Inkling
This is a very novel take on sens and presented very cleanly. I'll have to try your methods.

While a little outside the scope of your post, I'm curious if you've noticed any sensitivity trends based on 'weapon type.' That is, whether this approach selects for, as an example, lower sensitivities on longer-range weapons on average. I could also imagine weapons with bigger hitboxes following that same trend, as another example. Though, I imagine that data is not easy to gather.
Sure! The further away a weapon plays, the smaller the target is on the screen, and the lower your sensitivity needs to be to hit them (and also not accidentally move the cursor when you exert pressure on the controller by pressing a button!)

Personally, I tend to increase my sens proportionally to the range value of the weapon. So e.g. if I’m -2 on Rapid Pro Deco, I’m 0 or 1 on Rapid Deco usually. But I strongly recommend trying all sorts of sensitivities for all sorts of weapons. You get used to them much faster than you think, and it’s comparable to using heavier weights when working out — it improves your “aiming strength” and changes how ‘heavy’ they actually feel in practice. More reps, less effort when aiming.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
This actually seems really reasonable you have my seal of approval

Thanks for the write-up! I've always been scared to try adjusting my sensitivity and have gone with a one-fits-all for the most part, but I'm reconsidering now.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Sure! The further away a weapon plays, the smaller the target is on the screen, and the lower your sensitivity needs to be to hit them (and also not accidentally move the cursor when you exert pressure on the controller by pressing a button!)

Personally, I tend to increase my sens proportionally to the range value of the weapon. So e.g. if I’m -2 on Rapid Pro Deco, I’m 0 or 1 on Rapid Deco usually. But I strongly recommend trying all sorts of sensitivities for all sorts of weapons. You get used to them much faster than you think, and it’s comparable to using heavier weights when working out — it improves your “aiming strength” and changes how ‘heavy’ they actually feel in practice. More reps, less effort when aiming.
I use eliter and I stick to 4.5-5 sens because not having to move as much means I can rest my hands on my legs slightly and keep my aim steady.
I hadn't really thought about how different environments could change this though, so I'll try out some lower sensitivities and see what I think

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Wow, this is honestly a bit paradigm-shifting for me. I've always operated under the logic of "there are so many uncontrollable, unknowable factors that can trip you up so this one (sensitivity) being consistent is really important" and this seems to be saying more along the lines of "there are so many uncontrollable unknowable factors that can trip you up, and since sensitivity is one that you can control, you're better off learning how and when to use it to compensate for said uncontrollable unknowable factors." (Am I comprehending that right?)

I appreciate this write up so much. I come from a background of... never having played a shooter or any game of this pace before, and over a year in I still feel like I'm still trying to learn a lot of the basic hand-eye coordination and motor control that many people playing these types of games have been honing since they were old enough to hold a mouse/controller. I'm starting to wonder if one of the reasons I feel like I just haven't been able to catch on despite all my time and effort is because I've been afraid that changing sensitivity will only 'mess up' my muscle memory and set me back, when in fact it might actually be helpful to improve fine motor skills as a whole.

Side note, I was fascinated by the study mentioned in the Viscose video about motor control improvement and the brain-theory behind how it works. It's so cool that people are studying this stuff!

Press

Inkling
I use eliter and I stick to 4.5-5 sens because not having to move as much means I can rest my hands on my legs slightly and keep my aim steady.
I hadn't really thought about how different environments could change this though, so I'll try out some lower sensitivities and see what I think
Consider also that tracking the same movements at different distances requires very different hand/cursor speeds to match. The closer you are to a target, the more important it becomes to keep it in your view as it moves around you; the further away it is, the more important it becomes to be precise when it counts..

I want to illustrate that point in a way where we both have to assume that you play Splatoon with a mouse instead of gyro (just because a mousepad is an easier way to visualize the point than tilting the controller). The same principles of cursor movements apply either way.

For this point, you need to realize that an enemy as rendered on screen essentially 'translates' as space on your hypothetical mouse pad. To hit the target on the screen, you must move your mouse on the pad in such a way that the cursor will be on the hitbox.

The further away an enemy is, the smaller it is on your screen; meaning the smaller its hitbox is; meaning the margin of error when moving the mouse on the mousepad gets smaller.

1706654233147.png

1706654265219.png

This, in turn, means that having a lower sensitivity will give you more effective space on the pad to hit your target. Lowering your sensitivity will effectively enlargen the 'translated hitbox' in your real aiming space, making it easier to hit the target at any range – with the trade-off that fast movements generally will be more difficult to pull off. This applies in reverse for higher sensitivities: they make the targetable space effectively smaller, but allow for higher maneuverability of the camera.

1706654114290.png
1706654127111.png

So the main trade-off when choosing any sensitivity is to find a compromise between maneuverability and accuracy. The longer the range of the weapon and the further back it plays, the more important it becomes to be accurate. As an E-Liter, you will usually have all targets in your field of view, just because they're all far away from you and you typically have a vantage point position. Because of this, the 'effective zoom-in effect' that low sens has when translating in-game hitboxes to real-life movements typically make lower sensitivities more beneficial than high sensitivities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom