Fixing Sub Balance 101

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Got a pretty interesting and excruciatingly simple idea for how to make a few weaker sub weapons better, as well as one of the weaker specials.

While located by a Point Sensor, Ink Mine, Angle Shooter, or Wave Breaker, a player's speed is reduced by ~15%.

While I'm at it, I'll also give Toxic Mist a 5% larger radius, Sprinkler 300 HP and 30 damage per droplet, Curling Bomb 45 contact damage, and Angle Shooter 20 trail damage stacking with 25 direct damage for a total of 45 damage on a direct hit.

Why does Nintendo never make any sub weapon changes? This isn't hard.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Do you think it would be a good idea to rework Toxic Mist and Angle Shooter together? One of the ideas I constantly hear for improving Toxic Mist is to make it stick to enemies if they get directly hit by it after it's thrown.
I think if you just gave that effect to Angle Shooter, it would make the sub significantly better for fighting and trapping opponents, forcing them to fight or jump out. Basically what Disruptor did but much harder to land on players and in a different game where you only need one sub of qsj to jump out faster, which is something Splatoon 1 didn't have.
You could also just make it that the trail slows down and takes away a bit of the opponents ink tank when passing through it like Toxic Mist.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Why does Nintendo never make any sub weapon changes? This isn't hard.
Coming up with the ideas is only the first step. Testing them, making sure they're balanced and feel fair, and getting everyone to agree with them is the hard part. For example, you think the location change is obvious, but good luck getting me to agree to that. (I'm not actually telling you to try to convince me, although you can do that if you like, but my point is that even if you could, it would probably take a while and a lot of discussion.) Now try that with however many people are in charge of balancing splatoon.

I don't think the rate at which they're balancing things is good. But I have some sympathy for how hard of a job it is, especially after trying to do it myself.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Coming up with the ideas is only the first step. Testing them, making sure they're balanced and feel fair, and getting everyone to agree with them is the hard part. For example, you think the location change is obvious, but good luck getting me to agree to that. (I'm not actually telling you to try to convince me, although you can do that if you like, but my point is that even if you could, it would probably take a while and a lot of discussion.) Now try that with however many people are in charge of balancing splatoon.

I don't think the rate at which they're balancing things is good. But I have some sympathy for how hard of a job it is, especially after trying to do it myself.
It's a fair point, but I feel like Nintendo stressing over everything is limiting them massively, it's the reason why patches are always tiny and contain mostly minute changes. At this point, screw consensus. Consensus is giving the H-3 Nozzlenose 44 damage instead of the faster fire rate it deserves. Consensus is making zero sub weapon changes. It's fine to be cautious, but you need to actually give the players something. If there's one or two guys on the game balance board saying no to reducing Reefslider's end lag and nerfing Snipewriter, their opinion should be completely ignored.

I understand that the code-writing, testing, and balancing take time, but they could be doing that for bigger changes than increasing the size of the Sploosh-o-Matic's shots.
You can never please everyone, so Nintendo needs to stop trying to. Everyone is displeased with the magnitude of their patches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom