• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Getting all content at launch vs Current 'unlock stuff over time' approach

rodjoh

Inkling
NNID
rodjoh
I don't necessarily love this approach but I dont mind it either.
I mean it's not like it is on-disc paid DLC, and it does keep things moving constantly.

I just wish they had been more transparent about this from the beginning.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm fine with the way they're releasing new content every so often. It's a nice way of keeping the game ''fresh''.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
perfectly fine with stuff being unlocked over time.
having it all at the start would be boring.

games have always had unlockable content (hard modes, characters, weapons, secrets, etc) its a basic game thing.

florence

Full Squid
i like it! yes, it seems like in principle that if the content is already on the disk then we should have it, but a) if we don't have to pay for it, then we're not getting cheated or anything (cough cough amiibos), and b) slowly adding more new content keeps the game fresh.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i personally love the approach, it's nice not to be overwhelmed. i was one of the few who was happy with the amount of content at launch (though the game IS cheaper in the UK compared to the US, which is a rarity)

i think a lot of the issue came from PR folk and most gaming sites referring to the content as DLC. that word puts people off, and has the connotation of companies trying to extort you with micropayments (or not so micro payments). if it was just referred to as content or updates, it might of gone down better.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I'm personally fine with this approach. It gives me more of an incentive to play, so it keeps me coming back for more to experience what's new.
Well there are those people asking for hair styles that aren't just 'wigs' that take your headgear slot, a pants shop, new stores, exploring more of inkopolis,playable octolings, apartments, live plaza with others playing, pets, octoling rush mode, etc. which are all pretty much pipe dreams with only a few being plausible. Different hairstyles (including the octolings' hairstyles) could make sense as headgear, but I don't think they will offer it as true customization just yet- the directors mentioned them wanting the inklings to be recognizable before messing with their general appearance. Pants would be an interesting hassle to code with the added abilities and balance and what not. I think we should all wait for the next game before we see large changes to the general formula taking place. This game definitely feels a little sparse compared to other in-house EAD first party titles but I feel like they were just testing the water. I am sure the next one will blow us away.
I actually have been asking for pants to be implemented in a different fashion because of the potential complications of implementing them as gear. I'd prefer for them to at least be implemented as cosmetic-only options in the Inkling creation screen with a style similar to shorts: black with a stripe on the sides. However, I've also been asking for hair in a fashion that might actually take more work than what you suggested, and that's implement the hairstyle options in the same fashion as my pants idea. Of course, this means for each hairstyle, they may have to have 2-3 models for each hairstyle to accommodate for hats, but I feel that might not be too complicated, even if I lack knowledge of how modeling exactly works.

Also, I don't like how they intentionally decided against pants and hairstyles for now just to make the base Inkling designs more recognizable before moving on. I mean, this is a game that emphasizes customization, hence us mixing and matching clothes to make the Inklings look different from the cover art Inklings in the first place. Why is worrying about the popularity of two specific designs such a big deal because of this? I just don't understand.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I honestly really like this approach. Yes, the content may be on disc, but it's not like they gave all of it to us from the beginning then removed it to release it in small chunks. It's still completely new to the player, so it keeps the game feeling fresh over time. If it were paid content it'd be different, but in the form of free updates it really isn't a bad thing. It's kept me more interested in the game over time.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I think it's a good way to keep things fresh, but that the game devs need to make sure there's enough at launch. It was a tad sparse at launch, and I think that could have been improved on. Since it's mainly a multiplayer game, though, I sort of like the idea because it's more likely to keep an audience. For mainly single player games though the approach is unacceptable. I think it's worked out pretty well over all for splatoon, and keeps the game interesting, at least for me.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm personally fine with this approach. It gives me more of an incentive to play, so it keeps me coming back for more to experience what's new.

I actually have been asking for pants to be implemented in a different fashion because of the potential complications of implementing them as gear. I'd prefer for them to at least be implemented as cosmetic-only options in the Inkling creation screen with a style similar to shorts: black with a stripe on the sides. However, I've also been asking for hair in a fashion that might actually take more work than what you suggested, and that's implement the hairstyle options in the same fashion as my pants idea. Of course, this means for each hairstyle, they may have to have 2-3 models for each hairstyle to accommodate for hats, but I feel that might not be too complicated, even if I lack knowledge of how modeling exactly works.

Also, I don't like how they intentionally decided against pants and hairstyles for now just to make the base Inkling designs more recognizable before moving on. I mean, this is a game that emphasizes customization, hence us mixing and matching clothes to make the Inklings look different from the cover art Inklings in the first place. Why is worrying about the popularity of two specific designs such a big deal because of this? I just don't understand.
You have to remember Nintendo's character design philosophies. This is a first party in house EAD project so they probably were advised or have the same mindset about how strong character designs have to be in conjunction with gameplay and the world etc. If they make a sequel they probably will go all out in customization and content, but for now I don't think it is their highest priority nor do I think the amount of effort and time it would take would be justified for the outcome. It'd be cool if they do it, but I don't think it is that likely right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom