Getting the competitive edge out of abilities (info from official strategy guide)

D

Deleted Member

In theory, abilities with the highest % increase should be used on main abilities, and abilities with smallest % increase should be sub ability only. Only running all different abilities unless you're trying to reach a specific goal. This maximizes your % gains from abilities.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I need some information.
What are the rates for Tenacity? I am wondering, if I should use special charge up over it or not.

Casperr

Full Squid
I need some information.
What are the rates for Tenacity? I am wondering, if I should use special charge up over it or not.
It's not quite the same as a replacement for Special Charge Up. Tenacity is a passive ability that automatically fills your special meter if you have more dead team mates than the enemy so is therefore completely unaffected by the amount of ink you are spreading. Unfortunately, there are no figures given in the guide and it doesn't say whether having 3 less active players leads to faster build than having 1 or 2 less active players. It will require some testing!

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
It's not quite the same as a replacement for Special Charge Up. Tenacity is a passive ability that automatically fills your special meter if you have more dead team mates than the enemy so is therefore completely unaffected by the amount of ink you are spreading. Unfortunately, there are no figures given in the guide and it doesn't say whether having 3 less active players leads to faster build than having 1 or 2 less active players. It will require some testing!
I already everything you said. It also charges faster, when more of your teammates are dead. I was just wondering, if it was better to have tenacity,or something that is a constant.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
I look at a number of factors when deciding between Special Charge Up and Tenacity as the head slot's main ability. Now we're going to assume whatever weapon set you're using has a special you'd like available as often as possible without sacrificing all your slots for it . Next we'll take a look at each abilities brand name sub chance to see what each one has to offer.

Tenacity - Special Saver, Quick Respawn, or Special Duration Up. Of these three, the last one is far and away your best bet. The problem here is, even with three subs it's still only a negligible increase of the time your special is active save for Echolocator which is already twice the length of all other specials and has an ability that hard counters it. To put it in perspective, three subs will only increase the duration of specials like the Bubbler and Kraken by a fraction of a second. Hardly a difference maker.

Special Charge Up - Ink Saver (Sub), Quick Respawn, Ink Recovery Up, Strength Up, or Swim Speed Up. Of these you've got a few more options to choose from at least. You'll likely already have swim speed subs on your shoes. Ink Recovery is the most useful as it's active all match regardless of your choice of weapon set. Again this part is really about taking into consideration what sub abilities the piece you choose will likely be saddled with and how you'll incorporate them into the rest of your build.

Next and this is important is whether or not your main weapon is good at actually spreading ink. See all Special Charge Up does is lower the point threshold requirement for gaining access to your special. In other words, if your weapon is average to bad at covering turf, even it won't make up the difference it lacks in that area. I'd only advise it for weapons that are the very least good at it if not great.

This is where Tenacity comes in. This here is your ace in the hole when you want your special more often despite your main weapon having lackluster ink coverage. Despite only being active in small few second bursts, these periods are much stronger than what special charge up offers, but they of course come at the high price of both inconsistency and well your team being at least one inkling down. It's simply not an ability you can rely on.

As a quick example. Using the Forge Splattershot Pro and want your inkzooka more often? This weapon not only has poor spread, but has high ink consumption as well. It just plain lacks the tools to make proper use of Special Charge Up so therefore Tenacity is the way to go. It simply depends on your main weapon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom