• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Getting used to the vertical flick

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
Hey everyone, it’s been a while! Hope y’all have been enjoying the game!

I’m a Roller main, and even though I love the vertical flick, it’s seriously throwing off my muscle memory. I feel really awkward using the Roller now because I’m not confident enough that my inputs will give me the result that I want. Having to jump after flicking is incredibly uncomfortable and doesn’t let me cover nearly as much ground as before.

Hell, I’m at a complete loss on how to ink walls quickly using the Roller since I had come up with a nice method in the first game, but since it relied so heavily on jumps, I can’t even do it anymore without doing a vertical flick. Now, I know vertical flicks are pretty good at inking walls, but I haven’t yet figured out how to space myself from the wall properly.

I’m sure with practices my issues will sort themselves out, but in the meantime I hate feeling like I’m completely incompetent at using one of my best weapons. Anybody else dealing with this? It’s so disheartening…

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Hey, Carbon Roller main here (and Gold Dynamo sub main as well). What rollers do you mainly use? May help to know a bit.

For inking up walls, I tend not to get too close. Id say as far as I would stand away to shoot at a wall if I were using a gun type weapon. I think it may vary from roller to roller though (I think carbon has shorter vertical flick range for example- can someone confirm for me? It felt like it at least). I think practicing the vertical flicks in the training area of sheldons may help. Try inking the walls from different distances and find that sweet spot for the roller your using.

As for muscle memory...yes it goofs me up sometimes. With carbon im used to jumping and horizontal swing splatting people. Now its gone vertical. So im trying to jump less when im up close to an ememy....but its taking time for me to adjust.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I learned a good bit of muscle memory to practice for using vertical and horizontal swings. For vertical swings, hit B and then R. For horizontal swings, hit R and then B. Do that on the firing range for a while and it might kick in eventually.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
Another roller main from the first game here (Carbon and Krak-On), vertical flick definitely takes some getting used to. I don't mind it on the standard roller since it means you can one-shot people from farther away with good aim, but it feels super weak on the Carbon. The range is poor, but I've still had a ton of trouble double-tapping someone from that particular distance, especially given the delay between slower jump flicks. For those of you who've unlocked it, does the Flingza somewhat address this shortcoming of the Carbon? I was curious how much speed the Flingza gives up for that crazy vertical flick range, but I'm still a few levels short of getting to try it. If it still serves as a decently fast melee weapon, then I'll be very excited to give it a shot.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
it feels super weak on the Carbon. The range is poor, but I've still had a ton of trouble double-tapping someone from that particular distance, especially given the delay between slower jump flicks.
I try not to splat people with it honestly. Instead, I treat it more akin to using burst bombs to navigate around on ground quickly and getting out of enemy fire. Using the Autobomb I try and scare away people as well, and splat them up close while they're distracted by the bomb. So far, it's worked pretty well for me.

Also VERY curious about the Flingza since its literally my two main Rollers combined. Would like to hear some experienced thoughts on it too...

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
Roller Main from splatoon 1 as well ^_^

The flingza vertical flick is actually weaker than the Dynamo's
The one shot hitbox on it is about the same length as the Splat Roller's. But with the long wind up, I'd say it's not too worth for splatting, may as well horizontal flick.

As for the Splat Roller's vertical flick, it is an excelled killing tool, having a one shot hitbox just slightly shorter than the Splattershot's effective range.

However the horizontal flick paints much more than the vertical, which makes it better for covering large areas.

(P.s. both flicks take the same amount of ink)

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627

The one shot hitbox on it is about the same length as the Splat Roller's. But with the long wind up, I'd say it's not too worth for splatting, may as well horizontal flick.

As for the Splat Roller's vertical flick, it is an excelled killing tool, having a one shot hitbox just slightly shorter than the Splattershot's effective range.

However the horizontal flick paints much more than the vertical, which makes it better for covering large areas.

Ah thats interesting about the Flingza...even with the weaker than Dynamo vertical flick, I think this roller may possibly be a nice alternative to carbons. Thats my hope at least.

I have to agree that Splat Rollers vertical flick is excellent. I've had some good splats with it. I feel it's what sets it apart from the Carbon nicely. It's also a great introduction weapon to the new flick mechanic.

Never knew both flicks use the same ink amount by the way...thanks for the info! I'll have to keep this in mind personally.

BloodWingdAngel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BloodWingedAngel

That's... Odd. I was thinking the Flingza would he Carbon + Dynamo, but apparently not. How is the Flingza, and how much damage and reach does the vertical flick have?

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
That's... Odd. I was thinking the Flingza would he Carbon + Dynamo, but apparently not. How is the Flingza, and how much damage and reach does the vertical flick have?
Flingza Roller is pretty cool. You're mostly going to be spacing/painting with the vertical, and killing with the horizontal.
The ink consumption is wayyyyy less than the dynamo, so running out of ink isnt a problem if you manage it well.

The vertial flick has the reach of dynamo, but obviously less power.
The kill hitbox is about the size of the Splat Roller's, and beyond that you are looking at a 3 hit kill (with the total damage dropping off as it gets farther from the one shot box)

Having wall with it is interesting. It's nice to support your team with, and is good to deny people with more range than you shooting you (chargers Splattling). It also can be used as a nice barrier while you just fling paint everywhere

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Flingza Roller is pretty cool. You're mostly going to be spacing/painting with the vertical, and killing with the horizontal.
The ink consumption is wayyyyy less than the dynamo, so running out of ink isnt a problem if you manage it well.

The kill hitbox is about the size of the Splat Roller's, and beyond that you are looking at a 3 hit kill (with the total damage dropping off as it gets farther from the one shot box)

Having wall with it is interesting. It's nice to support your team with, and is good to deny people with more range than you shooting you (chargers Splattling). It also can be used as a nice barrier while you just fling paint everywhere
Welp, that settles it. I have a new weapon that im in need of....

Soon.

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph

How's the ground speed? Does it feel closer to the Carbon or the Splat Roller in that regard? Either way that sounds like pretty good news. I've had decent luck vertical flicking peeps into oblivion with the Krak-On, so being able to do that while also dumping ink beyond the kill range sounds pretty sick. I'm just two levels away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom