• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hackers are back!

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
The Wii U has a lot of "homebrewers." NWPlayer isn't the only hacker. Since people have been able to emulate the Wii U on their PCs, it's opened up a whole world of modding for Splatoon

If a person can access the game data files, this isn't hard at all. Hackers have already made a save editor for Splatoon that can unpack the proprietary archives the game uses. That's the hard part. Once you have that, you'd use a save editor just like you would Action Replay or Gameshark: just do a RAM write to replace vanilla game values with modded ones. This is literally no different from using AR codes to get a shiny level 5 Garchomp with perfect EVs, IVs, and maxed stats in an area where they don't appear. I don't know why so many people here think hacking is some type of sorcery. A person is simply changing the instructions the game engine carries out and that's it.
I know NW isn't the only hacker. I just find it funny that the same event happened twice in a small time frame.

The stuff they mentioned fits except the single player bosses. That isn't happening very easily. Infinite specials, better range? Oh yeah.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yikes! Now that's rolling around at the speed of sound!

I'm actually slowly becoming interested in fighting with/against one of these hackers myself, just for the novelty of it. I imagine that I'd be quite bothered with them at first, but I'd get used to it. I mean, I survived fighting Giga Bowser back in the Brawl days, surely this can't be much different?

I'd probably need my Hero Charger or a Dual Squelcher to actually fight them, though... and if they maxed their range I'd probably need Ninja Squid so I could get the jump on them.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
They can't hack online anymore though, Wii U update was recently released and patched it. Seems like you can only do this with lower versions. At least it won't be like the MKW hackers.

Kliff

Inkling
Hackers can fool the Servers and fake an update. This allows them to play online

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
They are also able to run an .iso for Splatoon on a Wii U Emulator, which I suspect a lot of them are doing. In that case, Ninty patches wouldn't be a factor.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
That makes me wonder if any of the super players out there are indeed using hacked versions (or emulators). I've always assumed Nintendo being pretty strict policies and monitoring made it pretty unlikely, but maybe...

Most of the weirdness is probably lag (fuuu n'zap that gets 2hko's when I was hearing hit sounds while you were behind the wall!) But sometimes you have to wonder.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
That makes me wonder if any of the super players out there are indeed using hacked versions (or emulators). I've always assumed Nintendo being pretty strict policies and monitoring made it pretty unlikely, but maybe...

Most of the weirdness is probably lag (fuuu n'zap that gets 2hko's when I was hearing hit sounds while you were behind the wall!) But sometimes you have to wonder.
If people crack their Wii U and deny systems updates, I don't know what Nintendo could do to stop them. I'm not sure how that would impact vanilla multiplayer though. I don't play multiplayer on games I tamper with (don't want any changes I make to screw up someone else's game), so I don't know how a game with hacked players would change.

Award

If people crack their Wii U and deny systems updates, I don't know what Nintendo could do to stop them. I'm not sure how that would impact vanilla multiplayer though. I don't play multiplayer on games I tamper with (don't want any changes I make to screw up someone else's game), so I don't know how a game with hacked players would change.
Well, yeah, presumably the cracked systems aren't playing on public servers with. But I don't imagine it's that difficult to falsify the version unless there's some form of handshake for legit systems using a key generated during the patch process. After all, there was the octoling situation...

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Well, yeah, presumably the cracked systems aren't playing on public servers with. But I don't imagine it's that difficult to falsify the version unless there's some form of handshake for legit systems using a key generated during the patch process. After all, there was the octoling situation...
A PC emulator is another option. Idk what the multiplayer limits are on the Wii U emulator, but they could run hacked Splatoon games on it just for making videos. TASing Splatoon isn't out of the question on a Wii U emulator, though TASing multiplayer would take a LOT of coordination between all the players and would be incredibly tedious to make ( but it would make for some badass videos). Single player TASing is feasible though.

Award

A PC emulator is another option. Idk what the multiplayer limits are on the Wii U emulator, but they could run hacked Splatoon games on it just for making videos. TASing Splatoon isn't out of the question on a Wii U emulator, though TASing multiplayer would take a LOT of coordination between all the players and would be incredibly tedious to make ( but it would make for some badass videos). Single player TASing is feasible though.
I can't imagine why an emulator wouldn't be able to join into the public servers so long as it runs the patches though. On the other hand, it's not like Nintendo to be security-sloppy without applying a hardware level key somewhere. Then again everything about Wii U's release felt so rushed, there's probably tons of holes.

Kliff

Inkling
There is only one Wii u Emulator that can run this game but it has no access to the online services. You can`t complete the singleplayer mode with the Emulator since it its in a very early stage of development. Nintendo try to patch the things that are used to load custom game data but they failed once again. At the end of the month there will be a release of something that allow all Wii U Users to hack and more since it can be used on the latest firmware. Its even possibly to create a new NNID and change some things in the system to unban the Wii U System from accessing online services. When Nintendo try to patch these things they will clone they existing software and copy it on the sd. The Copy on the system will be updated and then it will be patched from them for hacking. They can than boot the patched System from the sd to do their stuff. So even when Nintendo will fix the things they will alway able access online services and hack games with their updated system on the sd. The same thing already happened on the 3ds and I thing there aren`t many hackers but the 3ds has a really big and nice hacker community and they don`t like to see you hack only. But on the WII U i have already seen a lot more of bad poeple hacking in mario kart for the best ghost data or in games like call of duty. So we will see about that at the and of the month. I think it`s way to easy to hack the game(I was able to do the same thing then the guy in the Video only with the information in the description and do the same thing with other weapons).

Award

There is only one Wii u Emulator that can run this game but it has no access to the online services. You can`t complete the singleplayer mode with the Emulator since it its in a very early stage of development. Nintendo try to patch the things that are used to load custom game data but they failed once again. At the end of the month there will be a release of something that allow all Wii U Users to hack and more since it can be used on the latest firmware. Its even possibly to create a new NNID and change some things in the system to unban the Wii U System from accessing online services. When Nintendo try to patch these things they will clone they existing software and copy it on the sd. The Copy on the system will be updated and then it will be patched from them for hacking. They can than boot the patched System from the sd to do their stuff. So even when Nintendo will fix the things they will alway able access online services and hack games with their updated system on the sd. The same thing already happened on the 3ds and I thing there aren`t many hackers but the 3ds has a really big and nice hacker community and they don`t like to see you hack only. But on the WII U i have already seen a lot more of bad poeple hacking in mario kart for the best ghost data or in games like call of duty. So we will see about that at the and of the month. I think it`s way to easy to hack the game(I was able to do the same thing then the guy in the Video only with the information in the description and do the same thing with other weapons).
Hmm, that's interesting, and a bit disheartening! We'll have to keep an eye out closely at what things may be hacks and what are just lag glitches. It's too easy to blame a hack for cheap deaths at the hands of a superior player with lots of perfect gear and some lag, but it shouldn't be dismissed off hand, apparently!

Agadez

Octobrush Crackerjack
My brother found this link on GameFAQs and says that apparently the average person can hack the game and make weapons and other things do crazy things like the video shows. It's very short and yes I know it's in Japanese, but you can tell this person has some how sped up their character and knows exactly where the other is going to be instantly. Pretty sure the luna blaster doesn't go THAT fast. Anyway, just a heads up and thought I should warn others.

Oh, he is having a blast. :V

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Fun story: that's my video, and I got banned yesterday without even playing online. Now I'm sad.
I've read about that, that people hacking have been banned even just going into recon.

I don't know Nintendo's system, but I would expect it wouldn't be too hard for the servers to check player abilities/performance and flag anything that looks suspicious.

Kliff

Inkling
When you used pirated games on the 3ds online your nnid get banned for some time but that some time after you play the game. They could use the same system for anticheat. So i think you don't get always bannend if they detect you but sometime after that they will ban your nnid. That make it impossibly for hackers to know what kind of hacks Nintendo can detect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom