Hammerhead Bridge redesign

Tmc3102

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lalababy
I've been thinking for the past couple of days about future updates and how we have them so regularly. Going on about this, I thought, well since Urchin Underpass (my now least favourite map due to its remodel) got construction done to it, what about the bridge. Even Callie and Marie mention about "when it's done" does it have even the slightest chance of being I guess you can say, "completed". If so, will it be longer than before and have more platforms and surfaces to use and ink or not. This may or may not ever happen, but if it did, this would actually be kind of cool to see what it would look like!

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I don't see it happening. Nothing seems to be explicitly wrong with the stage, it works fine and is fair, and is still a pretty fun stage to play on. (but that's based on my experience, and I've played Hammerhead Bridge less than any other map in the game...)

Osiris

Inkling
NNID
gilby1969
The bridge is likely a reference to the Tokyo Rainbow Bridge, which began construction in 1987 and was finished in 1993. Most of the references Callie and Marie make -both in English and Japanese- are about the time it used to take to construct most bridges, and the ludicrous tolls that almost all intercity roads and bridges have in Japan. Urchin Underpass received a make-over because it was a rushed map from the early testing of Splatoon. Seeing as Hammerhead was one of the last maps added to the game it's safe to say that what we have with the map is what the developers intended it to be.

Tmc3102

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lalababy
The bridge is likely a reference to the Tokyo Rainbow Bridge, which began construction in 1987 and was finished in 1993. Most of the references Callie and Marie make -both in English and Japanese- are about the time it used to take to construct most bridges, and the ludicrous tolls that almost all intercity roads and bridges have. Urchin Underpass received a make-over because it was a rushed map from the early testing of Splatoon. Seeing as Hammerhead was one of the last maps added to the game it's safe to say that what we have with the map is what the developers intended it to be.
That's true. Most likely the later the map, the least likely it will he redesigned. I also kind of miss the old Underpass. I feel like it had more personality than the current one. It's too square. I know that the main objective of the game is to ink area, I also like that the old one had a better design.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Hammerhead can die in a hole but I dont think anything will change about it. I have a lot of problems with it but it's my own fault, not the stage's.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It doesn't look like a street anymore, and it's so convoluted in the center thanks to attempts to create cover opportunities.
In other countries underpasses are also used for pedestrians/cyclists. I don't think the original was very "road shaped" either.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I miss the old underpass, i wish they let us select it in private room at least

the map/mode that makes me rage the most is rig rm,.. then maybe pit splatzones, port tw, heights splatzones, pit TC.

All others I really see no issue with, bridge is fun in all modes and has little inkstrike zone bs (speaking of this can die in a fire):
Yes I know lag caused that (and I had small lag issues the whole match) but showing the ink like that? One of the few times I felt like my inking, I think if that happened in rl I would be banging my gun like that too but lag don't happen in rl XD. inkstrike do too much on some splatzones, hammerhead is a big blessing for this. So thank you, bridge splatzone for existing, you are one of the few things that should never be changed in the game.

(oh if you where wondering what I was doing in testzone. I could not tell if hitbox issues was from lag or chargers had some leeway of being off, like how you splat 2+ people with one charger shot while mine can do nothing on a slight miss in close range. I also found out you do not want to be shooting down slightly if person is in range of blast because the ground may clip it where if it was a normal 2 hit damage into 3)

Last edited:

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
The only reason underpass was redesigned was for tower mode and splat zones as the "hump" leading to the other teams spawn and your spawn was too short and it was hard to penetrate through. Hammerhead is fine for all modes and I can't see redesigning happening possibly to arowana at best but not for hammerhead

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
The only reason underpass was redesigned was for tower mode and splat zones as the "hump" leading to the other teams spawn and your spawn was too short and it was hard to penetrate through. Hammerhead is fine for all modes and I can't see redesigning happening possibly to arowana at best but not for hammerhead
can't you say port has the same problems though? all spawn point exits drop at the same point. mall does not even do that. mall only gets a problem if you are being out played and the other team makes it to your spawn to trap you. (though i do think mall does have issues esp the tw version) just trapping people out of big areas is a bit harder on mall then port(least to me)

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
can't you say port has the same problems though? all spawn point exits drop at the same point. mall does not even do that. mall only gets a problem if you are being out played and the other team makes it to your spawn to trap you. (though i do think mall does have issues esp the tw version) just trapping people out of big areas is a bit harder on mall then port(least to me)
Yes I just forget mackerel exists most the time xD

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Yes I just forget mackerel exists most the time xD
this is why i do not understand the makeover to urhian and not touch port. to me port has more problems with issues like that then undepass since in undepass at least it was hard to see/ cover all exits from one spot. in port anything can react and ambush you while hiding behind cover wall and see all exits.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
this is why i do not understand the makeover to urhian and not touch port. to me port has more problems with issues like that then undepass since in undepass at least it was hard to see/ cover all exits from one spot. in port anything can react and ambush you while hiding behind cover wall and see all exits.
Hmm and the fact that tower control in pm was took down from the rotation really says that the map has somewhat of an issue

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Hmm and the fact that tower control in pm was took down from the rotation really says that the map has somewhat of an issue
I really take issue with this. If they can redesign Urchin to make it suitable for all modes of play, why just fully take a stage out of rotation for a mode? It's really lazy and reduces the content of the game that we SHOULD have. There's no reason why Blackbelly shouldnt appear in RM or Port shouldnt appear in TC or whatever. Fix the stage, don't abandon it.

And in any case, I remember playing TC on Port long ago and I didn't feel like it was even that bad. So whatever. GROAN

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I really take issue with this. If they can redesign Urchin to make it suitable for all modes of play, why just fully take a stage out of rotation for a mode? It's really lazy and reduces the content of the game that we SHOULD have. There's no reason why Blackbelly shouldnt appear in RM or Port shouldnt appear in TC or whatever. Fix the stage, don't abandon it.

And in any case, I remember playing TC on Port long ago and I didn't feel like it was even that bad. So whatever. GROAN
i only feel port tw is an issue but i think that only happens because what other 7 people do in the other modes, if a team wanted to, ignore the objective at the start and treat the match like some do treat tw, it could mimic the problems in all the modes, but I really never had that happen.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
i only feel port tw is an issue but i think that only happens because what other 7 people do in the other modes, if a team wanted to, ignore the objective at the start and treat the match like some do treat tw, it could mimic the problems in all the modes, but I really never had that happen.
Sure but that doesn't change the fact that taking maps out of rotation is like removing content that should be in the game. There are what, 15 stages? Without Port in Tower control or Blackbelly Rainmaker, thats basically 14.5 stages. Fix the problems preventing them from being fun and put them back in rotation. you know?

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
Sure but that doesn't change the fact that taking maps out of rotation is like removing content that should be in the game. There are what, 15 stages? Without Port in Tower control or Blackbelly Rainmaker, thats basically 14.5 stages. Fix the problems preventing them from being fun and put them back in rotation. you know?
I know and my guess is that they are not sure how to, so best to take it out for now and think of how to fix it >.>

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I would love if they remodeled Hammerhead in any way, but that's mainly because I personally think it's an absolutely terrible stage as is. Total hot mess of randomly placed obstacles, walls and giant un-inkable areas. It is, in my opinion, the worst stage in the game. I also suspect that Splatoon is pretty done with huge updates, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom