• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Happy New Year Squids! Thoughts on Undercover Brella?

LunarHalo24

Inkling
NNID
LunarHalo24
Switch Friend Code
SW-2860-2683-3610
I personally think its meh. Its shield is really brittle and its a really slow 3-shot kill, IF that. I'd rather use practically any other 2-3 hit kill weapon.
Of course, I've seen people use it pretty well, but I suppose that can go for any weapon really.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Happy new year to you people too!

(I have nothing to say about the new brella. just wanted to say happy new year!)

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Well, I love it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Using the power of Ink Saver (Sub), you're able to place two ink mines at the same time! Use these in the heat of battle in order to make a surprise attack and...

KACHOW

Make a surprise attack from the side in order to secure the kill!

OVER

Jokes aside, I just sneak into a place and place ink mines around where I'm standing, so when someone approaches me, the ink mines do 35 damage each and I do 40. 35 + 35 + 40 = 110.

If I get ambushed, I would just place an Ink Mine and Splashdown to kill them or scare them away.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
I personally think its meh. Its shield is really brittle and its a really slow 3-shot kill, IF that. I'd rather use practically any other 2-3 hit kill weapon.
Of course, I've seen people use it pretty well, but I suppose that can go for any weapon really.
True, but it has great mobility and the shield, while brittle, recharges quick.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
Well, I love it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Using the power of Ink Saver (Sub), you're able to place two ink mines at the same time! Use these in the heat of battle in order to make a surprise attack and...

KACHOW

Make a surprise attack from the side in order to secure the kill!

OVER

Jokes aside, I just sneak into a place and place ink mines around where I'm standing, so when someone approaches me, the ink mines do 35 damage each and I do 40. 35 + 35 + 40 = 110.

If I get ambushed, I would just place an Ink Mine and Splashdown to kill them or scare them away.
Lol, I do the same!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I really like it. :3 It's hard to judge how powerful it is, as I've mostly played with beginner Squids lately (after Christmas), but it seems quite viable to me! And it looks very cool too, especially with my new favourite gear style, with a 1920's look. :D (Classic Straw Boater, Short-Knit Layers, Annaki Habaneros)

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
I really like it. :3 It's hard to judge how powerful it is, as I've mostly played with beginner Squids lately (after Christmas), but it seems quite viable to me! And it looks very cool too, especially with my new favourite gear style, with a 1920's look. :D (Classic Straw Boater, Short-Knit Layers, Annaki Habaneros)
Yeah, it's real neat. I go for more of a spy/agent look myself! (Double Egg Shades, forgot the shirt, Navy Emperials(Or what ever it's called))

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I used to have a problem with the low damage output when I started using it, but now that I've learned to just trust my shield and dodging skills, I'm really loving it!

The ink mines go together with it very well too. I usually place two around the same area, and usually prioritize any person who gets caught. This weapon shoots quickly, you move pretty quickly with it, and it'll never really run out of ink, so it's the perfect weapon to chase tracked opponents with. The Splashdown is the perfect special if you're finding yourself without shield, so the kit is just great.

Also, even in the most intense matches, I find that my shield only breaks once or twice in the entire match, despite its flimsy nature, so you can actually rely on playing aggressively quite safely.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
I find it lackluster; atleast in ranked/league mode anyway.

It's whatever in Turf War.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I think it works very well as a Splashdown machine. It only needs 160 points to get a Splashdown, and paints just as well as it's Splat Brella cousin. The shield is very weak and it takes a long time to kill, but I think the ability to pump out Splashdowns at a ridiculous rate is scary enough on its own.
I wonder how viable it'll be with a main or two of special charge.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
In my opinion, Undercover Brella is a great weapon that can be used to hold down an area with Ink Mines and splat opponents with Splashdown, but there are still a few things to clean up.

To begin, I agree with what Yami Silver said about it, in which to remove the damage multipliers. However, I still think that the multipliers for the charger should stay the same because a Splat Charger would need to use 2 fully charged shots in order to break the shield, and by then, he or she is probably splatted.

In addition, I think that the ink consumption for each shot should be 2% of the tank, giving the Undercover Brella a total of 50 shots. To balance this, the shield should ink the ground as well which should keep the amount of shots the same. This would provide users a reason to not have the shield up all the time and would give some interesting new play styles to the weapon.

Plus, the damage for the Undercover Brella should become a maximum of 45 instead of 40. I find it hard to aim with this brella, so it mostly becomes a 4-shot splat instead of a 3-shot. People have suggested making the damage 50, but then it would make it a 2-shot splat like the Splat Brella. I think that if this happened, people will abuse the damage with the protective shield by camping (or sharking) by certain choke points.

Overall, there is great potential in this brella, but I feel that it is being limited by multiple factors. Although, Nintendo should be careful to not over buff the weapon like they did with the Splat Brella. This brella needs to keep its sneaking vibe in order to make it an enjoyable and interesting weapon.

Link to Yami Silver's video about it:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's better than the Tenta Brella, that's for sure! Probably better than pre-buff Splat Brella, as while the damage is just as inconsistent if not moreso, atleast the shield is always relevant. Them giving it 160p for special means the devs know it's still on the underwhelming side, but I've enjoyed using it and haven't done too badly with it. It's alt kit will be where it's at though!

G&K Rachel

Inkling
  1. Hmmm it's pretty good as it shoots through the Sheild unlike the tenta brella though the sheild can be broken quite easily. But still it's a pretty good weapon

Ron'NeilV3

Full Squid
NNID
Ronneil_koopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-3809-0916-6288
I like it a lot. It was my most anticipated weapon from the patch. I just wish the brella didn’t break so easy. Just let it be able to take a little bit more hits.

But all in all I loved it.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Finally a weapon that lets my squid feel like a real Kingsman...

I'm not usually one for burst weapons, (never cared for the .gal) but I've got to admit this one has a real "shotgun" feel I enjoy.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
  1. Hmmm it's pretty good as it shoots through the Sheild unlike the tenta brella though the sheild can be broken quite easily. But still it's a pretty good weapon
Yeah, the shield is pretty weak. But yeah, pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom