• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Hardest Boss Salmonid to defeat?

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
:ability_bombsniffer:

Here's the Salmon Run Discord if anybody wants to play (let's pool our knowledge together)!!!

https://discord.gg/SHstfU

Steel eel I also find troublesome if I don't have a charger on me. They're hard or impossible to hit in some circumstances and if my teammate with the right tool doesn't get him we're doomed. Plus on the peninsulas they cover so much ground so quickly.

However, I also have a hard time of the glow-fish levels in the upper ranks with the wrong weapons. >_< They can swarm you quickly if your 'mates decide to spread out.
If they spread out, that's automatic team wipe. I spam This Way every time the sky gets dark.

With Steel Eel, she only targets one player at a time, try just casually walk pass her.

Last edited:

Maave

Inkling Commander
Grillers first, then Stingers. The Grillers would not be so bad in a group chat. For the Stingers those jerks will fire from all the way across the map. Splitting up from my team to kill them is dangerous and not efficient for collecting eggs.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Is it just me or do the stingers have ridiculous aim at times? Reminds me of guardians from BOTW.

I can't say one boss is harder for me than another cuz it depends on the situation and the weapon I'm using.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
Just found my new kinds of favorite retards, the ones that saw Goldie but don't yell THIS WAY.

Is it just me or do the stingers have ridiculous aim at times? Reminds me of guardians from BOTW.

I can't say one boss is harder for me than another cuz it depends on the situation and the weapon I'm using.
Trying to throw bomb at Flyfish while getting Stinged by Stinger is... Crap.

aeron!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5897-6499-1183
My answer has gotta be flyfish. I always end up with them when the rest of my team is taking care of other bosses, and, boy, those NEED at least 2 people taking them out. It's a pain. I hate how you can basically only use bombs on them & no other weapon.

Grillers are a pain, too. Man, those guys are fast. I'll see one lock on to me, so I'll swim away to a safe distance to start shooting then within seconds I'm splatted. They're not hard, necessarily, just. fast.

I don't mind steelheads, really - unless I'm a roller or brush. The fact that they can only be hit during small instances (same with drizzlers) is annoying but I wouldn't call it difficult. Now when there's like 3? Ok that's just a nightmare.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
Just learned a new tip, keep your Sting Rays, it can be used to save teammates across the map!

My answer has gotta be flyfish. I always end up with them when the rest of my team is taking care of other bosses, and, boy, those NEED at least 2 people taking them out. It's a pain. I hate how you can basically only use bombs on them & no other weapon.

Grillers are a pain, too. Man, those guys are fast. I'll see one lock on to me, so I'll swim away to a safe distance to start shooting then within seconds I'm splatted. They're not hard, necessarily, just. fast.

I don't mind steelheads, really - unless I'm a roller or brush. The fact that they can only be hit during small instances (same with drizzlers) is annoying but I wouldn't call it difficult. Now when there's like 3? Ok that's just a nightmare.
You should not run from Grillers, just jump up and down the steps, and let your teammates kill it. Grillers are invincible in the front.

aeron!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5897-6499-1183
Just learned a new tip, keep your Sting Rays, it can be used to save teammates across the map!

You should not run from Grillers, just jump up and down the steps, and let your teammates kill it. Grillers are invincible in the front.
Ohhh. I actually didn't really know that. Thanks, I'll definitely stick to that plan

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
Glad to see everyone feels the same about those flyfish!

sometimes if I have a splat bomb rush ill use it on the flyfish bc my bomb seems to not want to make it in half the time. I also agree with the steelhead post, they charge up their bomb wayyy to quickly, the game recommends a charger take it out but i've tried and haven't had much luck.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I finally got the hang of Flyfish, last night I jump shot a bomb into the wings from Behind!

Plus, I got to 225%, it was brutal. The first wave was 3 Maws AT ONCE. Followed directly by 1 Steelhead, 1 Flysifh, and 1 more Maw.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
What I hate the most about Flyfish is people throw bombs into the same wing!! I mean, come on, if I stand to your right, then you should aim for your left!
Gotta love it when three people attack a Flyfish and somehow all throw their bombs into the same wing. It's an odd combination of depressing and hilarious.

I think to me is the flying saucer that over hangs and steal the eggs. It isn't hard if you know what it 'does', but when you get newbie players who are too distracted firing the boxes out of the sky, then you have a problem. The round is rare, but it does pose a threat to people who are unsure what it does exactly.
This annoyed me so much when I started getting to the higher levels of Salmon Run. The fact that it springs these unique encounters on you without making any effort to warn you of what's supposed to be going on is kind of ridiculous. The Mothership and Gushers encounters in particular took me a few tries to figure out, and during that time I was effectively dead weight to my team. I know the stuff is all in the manual, but I didn't find that out until later, and I expect most people don't either.

I find it hard to pick any one boss as the hardest because it's so dependant on the circumstances around it. I'd say the Steel Eel probably gives me the most trouble, just because of the amount of ground it covers and the way the game loves to throw multiples of them at you on higher difficulties. Not to mention that if it locks onto you at an inconvenient time, you're reliant on the nearest player not being a complete moron, which is unfortunately not a safe bet.

I'm interested to see that Maws hasn't come up at all in this thread (EDIT: Until just now). Maybe I just have awful luck with when it attacks me, but it always seems to come for me when I'm in the middle of a Drizzler cloud, or when other bosses have backed me into a corner. Not to mention it's rare to have the ink available for bombs when you're surrounded by enemies, and in a particularly chaotic battle you might not have the time to refuel. Though I guess the fact that you can lure it back to the base very easily for quick egg collection is a nice redeeming attribute that most bosses don't have.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I changed my mind. At the lower difficulties, Steelheads are pretty bad because of the small hitbox and vulnerability window, but from Overachieved and up, Flyfish for sure. The problem with them is that they stay in the back, so you have to shoot your way to them, but still have to have enough ink left over for a bomb.

But the one I'd rather never see again is Drizzlers. They just make everything else that much harder. None of the bosses except Grillers really bother me very much most of the time, until Drizzlers start raining on everything. Then just about anything can get me.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
To correct the name for flying saucer, it's Mother Ship. But yes, the MAWS. That stupid fish always gets me and people end up getting swallowed up by it. Put that together with the steel eels, and steelheads overlapping the field. On top of that, the map chosen to be small makes this all worst.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Steelhead, I have 0 doubts. Unless you're playing with someone you know and they get the splattershot/ranged weapon, it's likely that the random on your team doesn't know how to use it or is across the map and they'll just come and obliterate you.

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I figured that you just need to stay back and survive, ditch your teammates and win.

Last edited:

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
For those of you who are interested in numbers, I saw this poll about people's most hated bosses on GameFAQs recently:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/200279-splatoon-2/75630505

Summary:
Flyfish got the most votes by far, with nearly 6 times as many votes as Steelhead, the second most hated boss. Stinger, Maws, Griller, and Steel Eel all got around 1/3 as many votes as Steelhead. Mothership and Drizzler got just a few votes each, and Scrapper and Goldie didn't get a single vote.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Flyfish. Think about it. It takes two bombs aimed almost perfectly in the wings. It's the only Salmonid that can target multiple squids at once, and if you make a mistake, you have to endure a barrage of missiles, then try again. It's a nightmare, hands down worst Salmon Run boss. Needs to be re-adjusted so only one can spawn at a time, because the moment you have 2, it's game over.

Drizzler and Steelhead get honorable mentions for being obnoxious and having small windows of weakness.
Killing two flyfish is fine, but the team needs to be in voice chat. Two people go to each; one person can throw two bombs before the lids close, but the other needs to make sure the bomb thrower can recover ink the whole time.

If both people try to throw bombs when there are other mobs around, there's a good chance one person will get harassed and botch the throw.

Honestly, the problem with flyfish is how long you have to wait to kill them. By the time they finally open up and die, two other bosses could have spawned. At least Steelheads attack more often and you can send inkstorms back at drizzlers. If Flyfish had to get closer before firing or opened up faster, they would be balanced.

Last edited:

P-Kong

Full Squid
There's a reason the Flyfish is the last boss you encounter in the tutorial…
But really, if no one uses their bomb rush and defeating it costs so much ink and time…
Well, I wish your ink would regenerate much faster, at the minimum. Or increase its vulnerability time or let you stun the Flyfish.

Next, I can't stress enough how devastating multiple Steel Eels can be, especially with a Drizzler around.
You have such a hard time escaping when you are in an unfortunate position…
So you have to take precautionary measures, but often enough, it doesn't look like it's the right time for that.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
For me the most difficult to kill bosses are: Drizzlers, Stinger

Drizzler: You have to be perfectly aligned to shoot his Inkstorm back, or you need 2 - 3 times where it shows his head or 1 if a teammate is helping you getting that thing out.

Stinger: It somehow feels like those are more likly to target me instead of someone else... And if you already have green ink on you then you are most likely doomed! Seriously: Flyfish, Steel Eel, or Steal Head never reach to the level of Stinger. HHmmmm: maybe Flyfish...

For the events: Mother Ship, that Finding the Goldie thing and especially Grillers are the most annoying events. I still know that one time when I was the only one left and to Grillers chased me. Luckily I had a Splatling to rescure my teammates before going down myself while getting away the grillers. However my teammates did a fine job from than on...

BloodWingdAngel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BloodWingedAngel
I've found dealing with Flyfish and Steelheads are the most annoying, due to the fact they have hard checks to take down (bombs for flyfish, and attacking the ink balloon for Steelhead). Every other boss pretty much can be taken down with your weapon just by attacking it or it's weak point, though I will admit eels and stinger can be a pain depending on the situation, especially when you barely have room to move around.

The most annoying event for me is the Grillers. They are a pain in the butt, and most of the time when I am freelancing my teammates don't seem to know what to do. Even then, when there are two Grillers out at the same time, panic usually happens, even when I am with friends. Salmon Frenzy is also somewhat of a pain, but if you got high fire, quick kill weapons usually it isn't too bad (until the deaths start happening that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom