• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Has Salmon Run helped you to develop competitive skills?

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
After my first tournament (i have only 130 hours on Splatoon) I noticed how bad I was in using my secondary weapon. Initially I tried to practice it in the training room which may help with accuracy but it doesn't replicate the pressure of a match so I decided to train by doing Salmon Runs aiming at taking down as many Maws and Flyfish as possible. As I'm training I noticed that Salmon Run is not only helping with weapon accuracy but even with movement, awarness, positioning and other skills and now I plan to train on Salmon Run for a while (I aim to the Eggsecutive VP rank but maybe it's to much) before returning to battle seriously.

What's your opinion on that? Do you find Salmon Run a good training for battles?

Cephalobro

It has gotten me used to more weapons than I thought. I remember playing Salmon Run back in Splatoon 2 where I was absolutely slaying Cohocks with an E-Liter, I made sure to keep those and Boss Salmonids off my teammates. That effort allowed us to get so many Golden Eggs. Although I haven't played Salmon Run at all these days (I used to play it a lot in Splatoon 3 when I was grinding for Silver Scales), E-Liters proved to be really good for Samon Run.

As a side effect, I went from sucking at Chargers in PVP to making the other team fear me when I used one.

Last edited:

starry_echo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0303-8738-0802
So if you're wanting to improve in ranked with a certain weapon, the best thing you can do is play ranked. Rather than the game's result (win or loss), think about how YOU played, what you did well and what you can do better/think about for the next few games. You could also watch how top players play the game in their solo queue games, and then try to see what they chose to do and how it differs from your own gameplay.

Salmon run, mechanically, is a lot simpler than ranked because enemies follow set paths and are very predictable. It does, however, teach awareness extremely well: if you aren't aware of the flyfish until it launches its third set of missiles, or haven't taken time to clear cohocks and chum, you're going to get overwhelmed pretty quickly. As far as general game sense it can be really fun, and a good way to break up player-v-player gameplay.

Tac

Inkster Jr.
Personally I think Salmon Run has been great for helping me improve movement, maybe not evasive movement but certainly getting around the map efficiently. In general the mode puts a lot of focus on constantly moving around, you need to move eggs to the basket, swim to the shore to kill stingers, keep away from salmonids when you're being overrun, etc. For a specific example of something that helped me, there're a ton of small obstacles meant to slow you down that squid rolls let you bypass, like the grate bridges on Marooner's Bay or the short platform the basket is on at Sockeye Station. It taught me to squid roll consistently to move the eggs back and forth more efficiently. Small squid roll shortcuts like that exist in multiplayer too, lots of ramps, ledges, etc to squid roll onto to save time swimming around them.

Plus in Salmon run you don't have enemies shooting at you, no charger capable of picking you off instantly. Getting stuck in the salmonid goop is usually lower stakes and you'll have more time to react and be able to practice getting unstuck. And besides just maneuvering around enemy ink, a lot of the specials that challenge your movement like ink storms, wave breakers, and tenta missiles also appear in Salmon Run as boss salmonid attacks, that teach you how to dodge those as well. There aren't many individual obstacles in Salmon Run that don't also exist in PvP, and unless you're being overrun, being in a bad spot is much less dire and you're given more time to figure out what to do. Overall just a much easier way to learn that stuff.

As above has said Salmon Run won't help you get better at splatting people or scoring in ranked modes, but it definitely helped me feel more comfortable moving around as a squid.

D

Deleted member

It has gotten me used to more weapons than I thought. I remember playing Salmon Run back in Splatoon 2 where I was absolutely slaying Cohocks with an E-Liter, I made sure to keep those and Boss Salmonids off my teammates. That effort allowed us to get so many Golden Eggs. Although I haven't played Salmon Run at all these days (I used to play it a lot in Splatoon 3 when I was grinding for Silver Scales), E-Liters proved to be really good for Samon Run.

As a side effect, I went from sucking at Chargers in PVP to making the other team fear me when I used one.
I already fear all chargers but the one that I fear the most is the E-liter 4K and the E-liter 4K scope

D

Deleted member

Personally I think Salmon Run has been great for helping me improve movement, maybe not evasive movement but certainly getting around the map efficiently. In general the mode puts a lot of focus on constantly moving around, you need to move eggs to the basket, swim to the shore to kill stingers, keep away from salmonids when you're being overrun, etc. For a specific example of something that helped me, there're a ton of small obstacles meant to slow you down that squid rolls let you bypass, like the grate bridges on Marooner's Bay or the short platform the basket is on at Sockeye Station. It taught me to squid roll consistently to move the eggs back and forth more efficiently. Small squid roll shortcuts like that exist in multiplayer too, lots of ramps, ledges, etc to squid roll onto to save time swimming around them.

Plus in Salmon run you don't have enemies shooting at you, no charger capable of picking you off instantly. Getting stuck in the salmonid goop is usually lower stakes and you'll have more time to react and be able to practice getting unstuck. And besides just maneuvering around enemy ink, a lot of the specials that challenge your movement like ink storms, wave breakers, and tenta missiles also appear in Salmon Run as boss salmonid attacks, that teach you how to dodge those as well. There aren't many individual obstacles in Salmon Run that don't also exist in PvP, and unless you're being overrun, being in a bad spot is much less dire and you're given more time to figure out what to do. Overall just a much easier way to learn that stuff.

As above has said Salmon Run won't help you get better at splatting people or scoring in ranked modes, but it definitely helped me feel more comfortable moving around as a squid.
I can't squid roll very good I just throw the eggs

Madt123

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
NNID
xerneas
Switch Friend Code
SW-5046-3858-9981
I’m still horrible with chargers, but I’ve gotten better. Salmon run improved my skills with other main weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom