• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Having way too much trouble in Splatzones

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
So I play a lot, but I've never managed to get above a C+ in Splatzones. I use a Custom Jet Squelcher (Burst Bombs, Kraken) and I've noticed I'm pretty much the only one who uses it, but I almost always do well with it. My average KdR is almost always at least 3/1, and I can use the splat bombs to neutralize a territory really well. I honestly feel like I'm almost always the best one on my team, and almost always my entire team has a KdR of .5/1 and it's just really frustrating. Do you use the Custom Jet or know anyone who does? What type of weapon do you use and why? Any other suggestions or am I just getting really unlucky with my team? I sometimes win 5+ matches in a row, and then lose, lose, lose until I rank down...

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
If you're doing well with the Jet Squelcher then don't change. If you really can't get above C+ maybe your playstyle and awareness are holding you back a bit. I made this guide about a specific role in splat zones, but it should give you some good general insight and a better understanding of why you might be losing games even if you don't fit into that specific role

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
Well now that you mention it, I almost never super jump (except when I'm using the Krak-on roller and jump to a beacon) because after enough matches of super jumping and immediately getting splatted, I gave up and just swam to the battlefield. I guess I can try and take a better look at my allies positions and try to jump to the anchor. Otherwise I can try and play the Anchor, use the kraken to splat a couple foes once I can, and then return to anchoring. Is the Custom Jet Squelcher seen as a good weapon for splat zones?

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Well now that you mention it, I almost never super jump (except when I'm using the Krak-on roller and jump to a beacon) because after enough matches of super jumping and immediately getting splatted, I gave up and just swam to the battlefield. I guess I can try and take a better look at my allies positions and try to jump to the anchor. Otherwise I can try and play the Anchor, use the kraken to splat a couple foes once I can, and then return to anchoring. Is the Custom Jet Squelcher seen as a good weapon for splat zones?
You definitely need to learn when to super jump and when not too, when to try and risk it etc. I still take risks super jumping sometimes that don't pay off. The stealth jump gear ability can be useful for that. If you start trying to play anchor, make sure you strike a balance between inking the zone and making sure you stay alive to allow for super jumps. Playing a weapon set with beacons can be useful, but the range of the jet squelcher is good also

If you liked the guide feel free to leave a review :)

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
The jet squelcher is actually my main weapon in splat zones, I pretty much exclusively use it these days, so maybe I can help out a little. I use the regular jet squelcher and not the custom one though. This is for a couple of reasons actually. I personally have never made good use of the burst bombs, I find that they simply drain my ink too quickly and don't really do much for it. Also I don't think the kraken is good with the jet squelcher. That's because the jet squelcher has so much range it works really well as a camping tool, but for me using the kraken all too often involves giving up my position.

The regular jet squelcher has the splash wall and ink stirkes, which I absolutely adore. The splash wall is great at zoning out the enemy, and on maps like saltspray and blackbelly skatepark, you can use it to deny the enemy certain routes and force them to approach from a single way, which your teammates can usually cover well. The ink strike is also incredibly useful in splat zones too. I've found myself carrying the match very well using this setup. On urchin underpass and port mackarel I have some trouble with the jet squelcher though. I haven't played those maps as much yet, so that might be my issue there.

As far as super jumping goes, it's very situational, and in splat zones a big problem is that my teammates often don't like to stay in a position that's safe to jump to. That's actually why I picked up the jet squelcher, so I can be the person holding back and giving a safe spawn to teammates while keeping the enemy in check. I'm rank B with 46 points at the moment by the way. This is of course my opinion though. The fact that the custom jet squelcher is in the game means that there's some good strategies for it, so I might try it out some to see what I can do.

Also, that anchor guide is pretty awesome! I was looking at it and I agree with pretty much all of your spots. I'll have to try out your port mackarel setup, since I have a tendency to try to rush in and camp the other side for some reason. The only difference for me is that on blackbelly skatepark I actually camp on the opposing team's ledge overlooking their halfpipe area. This is because I can use the splash wall to block them from taking the lower route, neutralize the zone on their side of the map, and take out anyone camping on top of the center platform all in one fell swoop. It's also a relatively safe area for teammates to jump to as well.

OmniXVII

Inkling
Switch up your weapons or take a break. I fall back on the Splattershot Jr. if I'm doing bad and I can always contribute or end up topping scores with it. Keep practicing and find a weapon/style that you can fallback on when you're getting stuck or losing. With a frontline bubbler you can carry your team and accomplish objectives by yourself. That is key. You can be the best sniper in the world, but if your team can't support you, it doesn't amount to much. On the other hand, if you're the best Splattershot Jr player, you can get double kills consistently and take splat zones yourself.
If you're really good with the squelcher as you say, then stick to it, I've been carried by many squelcher players in games.

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
I find the splat bombs to be really useful for neutralizing a territory. Especially in Blackbelly Skatepark. I can hide on a ledge (you know, those little ledges that are about the same height as the lookout tower thing in the middle?) and not only lob the splat bombs over the wall directly into the zone (I can throw three bombs on a full tank and instantly make the opponent lose control) but I can also throw bombs to the lookout tower, forcing opponents to leave. I wish the bombs were easier to kill with, but you need to hit directly with two for a kill. Throwing one and then shooting works well though. My best stage as of now is certainly Blackbelly.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I find the splat bombs to be really useful for neutralizing a territory. Especially in Blackbelly Skatepark. I can hide on a ledge (you know, those little ledges that are about the same height as the lookout tower thing in the middle?) and not only lob the splat bombs over the wall directly into the zone (I can throw three bombs on a full tank and instantly make the opponent lose control) but I can also throw bombs to the lookout tower, forcing opponents to leave. I wish the bombs were easier to kill with, but you need to hit directly with two for a kill. Throwing one and then shooting works well though. My best stage as of now is certainly Blackbelly.
That's really interesting, because I would also say that blackbelly is my best stage too, and for similar reasons. I see what you mean about lobbing the bombs over ledges and such to paint the territory. The fact that they don't kill well is another thing that turns me away from them. It's funny, because the spot you're talking about is the exact same one I camp I'm pretty sure. I have no trouble neutralizing the zone and clearing the top of the center tower just by shooting the squelcher though.

The big difference I can see is that with the bombs you actually have the ability to take the zone for your team, I cannot do that from that spot with just the jet squelcher. The little bit of the zone that I can see by standing on the furthest tip of that ledge is just enough to neutralize it however, so I still have the ability to keep it out of enemy hands. I still think that with the splash wall and inkstrike you have more options when you're camping that spot in the end. You should try out the regular jet squelcher some if you haven't already.

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
I haven't and I'll give it a shot. I feel like the ink wall is really underpowered since it takes so much ink to use and doesn't have any spreading or splatting power, but I bet if I just used it for a while I'd get a lot better with it. I also feel like ink strike isn't that great since the territory it covers can be retaken in about two seconds by an aerospray, but I'm probably a bit bias because I love the kraken so much. It's way too much fun when a roller turns into a kraken and chases me like they are tough **** and then as late as possible I also turn into a kraken and chase them until their Kraken wears off and splat them. Damn it feels so awesome to do that.

But I hate being a hypocrite so I will dedicate a few hours to using the regular squelcher. Who knows, maybe I can make a better decision between the two based on the stage selection. Is the ink wall tough to break? I feel like whenever I see one I just have to lob a few bombs and shoot it a bit to break it. But there's a chance it was just nearing it's end anyway.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I haven't and I'll give it a shot. I feel like the ink wall is really underpowered since it takes so much ink to use and doesn't have any spreading or splatting power, but I bet if I just used it for a while I'd get a lot better with it. I also feel like ink strike isn't that great since the territory it covers can be retaken in about two seconds by an aerospray, but I'm probably a bit bias because I love the kraken so much. It's way too much fun when a roller turns into a kraken and chases me like they are tough **** and then as late as possible I also turn into a kraken and chase them until their Kraken wears off and splat them. Damn it feels so awesome to do that.

But I hate being a hypocrite so I will dedicate a few hours to using the regular squelcher. Who knows, maybe I can make a better decision between the two based on the stage selection. Is the ink wall tough to break? I feel like whenever I see one I just have to lob a few bombs and shoot it a bit to break it. But there's a chance it was just nearing it's end anyway.
The ink wall is a pure support tool, I don't think it's all that underpowered, but you won't be getting a kill with it specifically. Under direct fire it will burn out pretty quick, a fully charged splattershot will take it out in one hit. But, the attacks enemies throw at it are attacks that aren't hitting you, and that's important. Sometimes an enemy will see it and simply turn away and try to approach from another angle, which in many situations will either be covered by a teammate or I'll be expecting it. I deploy splash walls with teammates around all the time, and it works great. Walleye warehouse is a map where it works wonders when I'm camping on the sides. It can also be used to retake a zone by throwing it on the edge of the zone to block enemies out and painting the zone while they can't get you.

You're right though, it uses up a ton of ink, and without the right abilities on your gear it'll mean that you can hardly do a thing after throwing it. I always have abilities to decrease sub and primary weapon ink usage though, and most of the time I can throw it down to zone out an enemy and then kill them with my remaining ink. I can then just hide to recharge while the ink wall wears off. If I'm camping that spot and more than one enemy comes at me, usually the splash wall isn't going to do a whole lot to stop them, but it still does buy me time and lets me fight them on even ground for at least a few seconds. That's really helpful since that means my three teammates elsewhere only have two enemies to deal with while those guys are trying to weed me out.

The key to using the jet squelcher, in my opinion, is to be the biggest thorn in the enemies side as possible. It doesn't even matter if you're getting kills. If you're zoning them out and constantly neutralizing the hill so they have to specifically target you, then you're doing it right. Shifting the enemy focus away from the hill will always give your team an edge and it can really turn a match around. All of that said, there is probably some merit to using the custom jet squelcher, so I'll be trying that out very soon and seeing if I can replicate your strategy and maybe come up with my own for it.

Lightzeaka

Full Squid
NNID
Lightzeaka
The ink wall is a pure support tool, I don't think it's all that underpowered, but you won't be getting a kill with it specifically. Under direct fire it will burn out pretty quick, a fully charged splattershot will take it out in one hit. But, the attacks enemies throw at it are attacks that aren't hitting you, and that's important. Sometimes an enemy will see it and simply turn away and try to approach from another angle, which in many situations will either be covered by a teammate or I'll be expecting it. I deploy splash walls with teammates around all the time, and it works great. Walleye warehouse is a map where it works wonders when I'm camping on the sides. It can also be used to retake a zone by throwing it on the edge of the zone to block enemies out and painting the zone while they can't get you.

You're right though, it uses up a ton of ink, and without the right abilities on your gear it'll mean that you can hardly do a thing after throwing it. I always have abilities to decrease sub and primary weapon ink usage though, and most of the time I can throw it down to zone out an enemy and then kill them with my remaining ink. I can then just hide to recharge while the ink wall wears off. If I'm camping that spot and more than one enemy comes at me, usually the splash wall isn't going to do a whole lot to stop them, but it still does buy me time and lets me fight them on even ground for at least a few seconds. That's really helpful since that means my three teammates elsewhere only have two enemies to deal with while those guys are trying to weed me out.

The key to using the jet squelcher, in my opinion, is to be the biggest thorn in the enemies side as possible. It doesn't even matter if you're getting kills. If you're zoning them out and constantly neutralizing the hill so they have to specifically target you, then you're doing it right. Shifting the enemy focus away from the hill will always give your team an edge and it can really turn a match around. All of that said, there is probably some merit to using the custom jet squelcher, so I'll be trying that out very soon and seeing if I can replicate your strategy and maybe come up with my own for it.
Allright, I'll try the basic one, you try the custom, and we'll chat about our strategies afterward.

Also, kinda unrelated, but before the game came out, I was almost certain I'd be a heavy roller user, and I'm pretty happy I barely use the roller. Too many of them is really bad for a team.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Seems like C+ and B- is splatoon's version of elo hell

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
i have to say i am playing right now ... i am at C+ 25 points .... few games ago i was at 92 then the people who cant grasp the idea of a splatzone start to play these idiots just drag descent players down ... thats why C+ and B- are hell at the moment

OmniXVII

Inkling
Seems like C+ and B- is splatoon's version of elo hell
i have to say i am playing right now ... i am at C+ 25 points .... few games ago i was at 92 then the people who cant grasp the idea of a splatzone start to play these idiots just drag descent players down ... thats why C+ and B- are hell at the moment
Stick with it. All you need is a lucky streak to get past the B+ mark. At that point the players become more consistent, and if you happen to derank all the way back to C again then you probably just need more playtime.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
So I just got done playing 5 matches, I won 4 and lost 1. My ranking is currently B 86, I played with pretty much exclusively B's, and a few As.

The custom jet squelcher is a very good weapon on walleye warehouse, probably better than the regular. The kraken just tears up on that map, and while the inkstrike is good, it's usually too hectic to get one off without the risk of death. The splat bombs don't seem to have much value there though, as I can simply just shoot rather than throw them and ink the map more efficiently.

On arowana mall however, the splat bombs have some use, they can be thrown over the wall and back into the side path on the enemy side, which helps to prevent the enemy from advancing. On the other hand, the kraken is much less useful than the inkstrike on arowana for two reasons. The upper areas have chain flooring that you'll just fall right through, and going down into the hill is risky business for a jet squelcher. In the end, I think splash walls have more value than splat bombs on arowana.

So my judgement here is that on walleye the custom jet squelcher is the stronger of the two, but it's relatively weak on arowana mall. In the end I would probably choose the regular jet squelcher in this map rotation because while it's slightly less useful on walleye, it can still perform fine and excels at arowana, while the custom one suffers slightly on arowana.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
I am sure ranked is F*****G with me now ... just had a match we were winning it went to EXTRA TIME and they won by 1 point

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
I am sure ranked is F*****G with me now ... just had a match we were winning it went to EXTRA TIME and they won by 1 point
That has happened to me multiple times, I've won and lost by one point in overtime. I've also turned a match around and won on the enemy when they managed to get their timer down to 1 and ours was 50+. Splatzones is a fun mode.

luigisly

Full Squid
That has happened to me multiple times, I've won and lost by one point in overtime. I've also turned a match around and won on the enemy when they managed to get their timer down to 1 and ours was 50+. Splatzones is a fun mode.
That is actually how ranked is supposed to work. It only goes to extra time if the team that is losing has control of the splatzone. Extra time ends if that team holding the splatzone takes the lead, granting an immediate win, or that team loses the splatzone, resulting in a loss. Extra time has no hidden timer on it, it continues until one of those two conditions have been met.

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Dunno how you guys see that mode but the ''normal mode'' alias ''ink the turf'' is more enjoyable than the ranked gameplay...it's kinda campy and stressful compared to the normal one.

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
I'm running into the same issue. Right now I'm really partial to the Splattershot pro because of its range and decent rate and DMG.

I'm ranked B (about 30, was higher) right now. Are there any suggestions for a role a player can be based on the Pro? It seems like an anchor could be a good role.

Do you guys suggest any other weapons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom