• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Headcanon Corner!

Cephalobro

When they become adults, Octolings reproduce sexually typically at least once in their lifetime while they reproduce asexually more than once since it's an Octarian tradition to have at least one Octoling child and potential bodyguards for that child to continue the lineage once they are an adult. Although, there have been cases where Octoling couples ended up having more than one Octoling child.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
Callie is actually 11 or 12 (as of Splatoon) but looks as old as Marie due to bigfin reef squids developing faster than any other cephalopod species. That would explain why she looks like an adult but acts like a child.

Cephalobro

Whenever Agent 8 listens to the sound of the Deep Sea Metro after escaping and after he/she has defeated Inner Agent 3, his/her memory triggers and the "Imagine Inkopolis" from that point on is him/her snapping back to reality because he/she is really in Inkopolis.

There is no adult inkings. People say Cap Marie Pearl And Callie. They are Cuttlefish, there is a type of fish that gives birth early costhey die soon after. This maybe the case

Cephalobro

Actually, Agent 3 can only be customizable once during Octo Expansion. While the game lets you change your Inkling and Octoling, I don't see how that plays any role within the lore. I see it more as the developers letting you change your character whenever you want. I always consider that anything that can only be changed in the options menu is genetically and biologically set in stone.

And as I said before, none of the playable agents have canonical genders, even Agent 4 given that there are at least two instances of showing male Agent 4 in official material (beginning of Octo Canyon credits, The Art of Splatoon 2). Canon has no bearing on the agents' identity except for their species.

(Also, "They" can also be used as a short way to refer to a person who you don't know the gender of instead of "he or she", which is the long way to do so. Another use is to also refer to a group rather than an individual. Or for the specific purpose of the game, it was used for when they couldn't find code in the flag to choose between which of the two words would show up depending on the player's choice, Splatoon wasn't the first game to do this sort of thing either, Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 also had this limitation despite the game not allowing you to change the character's gender. I'm just saying that the usage of "They" isn't limited to just one purpose.)

Last edited:

pio_dov

Pro Squid
Inkling is a term used for all cephalopods, as we see it used for both squids and cuttlefish. Octolings are the octopus variety of inkling, and I like to call the other varieties decalings (squids) and cuttlelings (cuttlefish). I went with decaling for squid because the prefix "octo" means "eight", as in octopode having eight limbs. Squids have ten limbs, and the prefix for ten is "deca" (as in Deca Tower).

Cephalobro

Inkopolis thankfully didn't become chaotic (unless Splatoon 3 deconfirms this) like Pearl would've suggested, but psycho Pearl fans instead went to Splatsville for that chaotic fantasy, leaving Inkopolis in its cheerful state as a side effect result.

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
It is occasonally possible for a genetic mutation to give an Inkling or Octoling nine limbs. It doesn't make them a hybrid, it just...happened.

Cephalobro

How did Inklings evolve in the first place? Did it only take 2000 years to go from squid to human or did they decide to look human?
It's more likely that being stranded on land forced them to evolve quicker, thus still having some identical biology to their ancestors like the ability to produce ink and naturally changing tentacle color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom