Help a squid out!!!

beehives

Inkling
Alright so I got Splatoon2 today and i'm not sure if I am the only one but I cannot play online. Actually I can but only for 10 secs or even a minute then my wifi crashes. I keep getting 4 minute bans from my internet and here's the thing my internet is good I have full bars and i'm right next to my router. I'm not sure if its me or it's just the launch. If anyone knows how to fix this or is having the same problem please reply.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Switch wi-fi can be pretty finicky. Get a lan adapter and you'll do just fine.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Use 5.0 GHz if possible. Since you are so close to your router though, definitely recommend playing with a LAN adapter.

beehives

Inkling
Use 5.0 GHz if possible. Since you are so close to your router though, definitely recommend playing with a LAN adapter.
Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz ?
If you are using 2.4GHz you might have the problem I did, everyone in my house and my nextdoor neighbor uses 2.4 so it's super populated.
I recommend wired if possible I use a cheaper wired internet adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Chromebook/dp/B00CBD2X5E
So today I bought a LAN adapter and it still doesn't work. It might be bc I did it wrong but I read the instructions 30 times (not a joke btw) and it still doesn't work.But it does say wired connection but i'm not sure it it matters.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
So today I bought a LAN adapter and it still doesn't work. It might be bc I did it wrong but I read the instructions 30 times (not a joke btw) and it still doesn't work.But it does say wired connection but i'm not sure it it matters.
Alright first thing I recommend is doing a hard restart on your Switch. (Press and hold the power button and you will see a menu)

Other things you can try are testing your wired adapter on a computer to make sure it's working. You might have got a defective unit.

The last thing is to try is your router or modem. Reboot them I hope it's not super complicated issue.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I tried this too, didn't work.

Eventually i figured out that apparently the wired connection ONLY WORKS while the Switch screen is in it's docking station. If you pull it out, it d/c's until you put it back in.
You can still play it wired with the joycons slid in the included controller but you'll be forced to play with stick controls. I'd go for wireless if i were you.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Your Lan adapter might not be compatible with the switch then. Try plugging it into your computer, and seeing if it works with that. If it does, then it means the product isn't defective, it just won't work with your switch. I had the same problem you did, where it would recognize it is a wired connection, but it wouldn't connect at all.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
If you have access to the router, you may want to tinker with it. Such as getting your Switch to use the 5GHz band, checking your firewall, port forwarding, or configuring your NAT.

As for the lan adapter, yes make sure it's compatible. What sort are you using?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
You can still play it wired with the joycons slid in the included controller but you'll be forced to play with stick controls. I'd go for wireless if i were you.
Um, no, that's not true. You can use motion controls either with the Grip or with separate joycons. I really don't recommend playing motion controls with the joycons attached to the Switch. Swinging the screen around isn't conducive to paying attention to what's on it.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Um, no, that's not true. You can use motion controls either with the Grip or with separate joycons. I really don't recommend playing motion controls with the joycons attached to the Switch. Swinging the screen around isn't conducive to paying attention to what's on it.
Huh, that's strange. I swear at first i couldn't get motion controls working when i detached them from the console but it works fine now.

I've been playing it that way and it's not been distracting me so far, the only concern i had was that the battery power runs out too quickly. You only have to gently tilt the console to make the motion controls do their thing.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
A friend of mine had a very similar problem to what you're describing, and in his case it turned out to be that his router had the wrong NAT type. His was a D, which the Switch can't connect to properly. If you go to the internet tab in your Switch's settings and do a connection test, you should be able to see the NAT type of your router. If it's D, you either need to reconfigure to a different type or upgrade to an entirely new router. I have a B-type router and that works just fine.

Not sure if this is actually the issue you're having, but I hope it helps.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
What I did was move my router right next to the T.V.
You have to be within like, a 10 foot radius of the thing or it won't work.

dishwasher

Full Squid
What I did was move my router right next to the T.V.
You have to be within like, a 10 foot radius of the thing or it won't work.
I definitely don't have to do that. My router is on the other side of my house (about 2/5 bars for 5GHz) and I rarely have connection issues, although it seems like the P2P has been ultrabad recently (I had a Rainmaker game where it DC'd 5/8 people about 3 min into the match and we won the 2v1 lol). Mind you, when completing the connection test, it says that I'm getting speeds of around 60Mbps.

Reactions: Lyn

Zelda4Prez

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6311-3966-8407
I have had a few splatterings of issues over the time I've played and a hard reset of the switch is usually the trick.

beehives

Inkling
hey guys update this game wont work at all for me i haven't tried changing the nat type bc ive been busy but idek if that will work

Padre

Pro Squid
I have the same problems too wireless. Restarting EVERYTHING works for a while. Also using any other device at the same time drops Switch out almost instantly. I hope tou can fix the problem or Nintendo releases a fix or something. My connection is good, it is just Switch.

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
Just curious.. Have any of y'all who are having internet issues tried getting a wifi signal extender/booster? If you're not aware of them it's a box that plugs in to the wall socket and amplifys your current wifi signal. I only have a 16mbs dsl signal avalible to me due to living in a rural area. I've had no wifi issues whatsoever even with other computers running and streaming videos.I know saying i'm not having issues isn't helpful, but i belive that wifi expander may be helpful to some.. They're like$30-$40 at best buy. If it doesn't work you could always return it..

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just curious.. Have any of y'all who are having internet issues tried getting a wifi signal extender/booster? If you're not aware of them it's a box that plugs in to the wall socket and amplifys your current wifi signal. I only have a 16mbs dsl signal avalible to me due to living in a rural area. I've had no wifi issues whatsoever even with other computers running and streaming videos.I know saying i'm not having issues isn't helpful, but i belive that wifi expander may be helpful to some.. They're like$30-$40 at best buy. If it doesn't work you could always return it..
Actually, a friend of mine tried that earlier this week, it didn't work for them. Maybe that'll be different for someone else, but we spent a couple days trying to get it to work to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom