Splatoon 2 Hot Take!

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
We all have unpopular opinions. This is the thread to post them in.

RULES
Start each post with "HOT TAKE"
State your opinion.
Support your opinion below it.

Here's mine:

HOT TAKE
Bamboozler MK || is the best weapon in this game, it's just too difficult for 99.9% of the player base to use.
Looking at the raw stats, the Bamboo kills in 34 frames, which is kinda slow. Despite this, almost every other stat is very high.
4th best range in the game (tied with Heavy, Jet, and Goober)
Good painting at that range
100% accuracy
And a kit that really works.
The Mist allows Bamboo to get kills more consistently, and the Burst Bomb rush gives it even better painting and helps it function in close-mid range situations.

Ok your turn.

Weavile

Inkster Jr.
HOT TAKE
The Clash blaster is actually a bad weapon especially the neo, most people use it because others said it was OP
Since most of them don't go for directs the clash blaster kills at about 84 frames. The N-Zap which also kills in 4 shots is a 20 frame kill.
Short range
Bad painting
Most weapons can either out kill it, out range it and out paint it.
The Subs are good for it
But the special are the two worst specials for a close range weapon.
Stingray is good but you want to be in the frontlines with the Clash
Missiles are just not good, other specials does it's job better and you have to stop, aim, fire and drop the missiles for them to miss and not do much besides forcing movement.

-*-

Full Squid
HOT TAKE
The Clash blaster is actually a bad weapon especially the neo, most people use it because others said it was OP
Since most of them don't go for directs the clash blaster kills at about 84 frames. The N-Zap which also kills in 4 shots is a 20 frame kill.
Short range
Bad painting
The Subs are good for it
Missiles are just not good, other specials does it's job better and you have to stop, aim, fire and drop the missiles for them to miss and not do much besides forcing movement.
The clash blaster is like the aero spray. Laugh most of the players off. There will always be a handful that can do crazy things with it

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
HOT TAKE
Short range
Bad painting
The Subs are good for it
This opinion stops being a "hot take" after about A rank. I hope more people start to figure out how easy it is to counter.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
HOT TAKE

Ink Theory, and Jazz music in general, is garbage and I would pay good money to not have it play during my matches.

While it's energetic, sure, it doesn't fit the punkish theme that Splatoon 2 has built for itself, or the shooter genre in general.

Given that that last one was (slightly) satirical and that this is the "competitive discussion" group, here's a better one.

HOT TAKE

Ink Mines aren't garbage, particularly on perch weapons.

On weapons like the Custom Hydra, Ink Mines allow you to set up proximity tripmines in places that are common flank routes into your base, which is exceedingly valuable for perch-oriented weapons. If you place the mine carefully, the opponent won't trigger it with their shots and will instead trigger it by being too close, thus marking them with the point sensor effect. If they continue their flank, you'll know exactly how far they've progressed and it gives you more of an opportunity to prepare for them or escape if necessary. If they backtrack to mid, they'll likely be at the mercy of your teammates; even a rando should be able to take out someone who's been marked, but it seems that I can't make this assumption much these days.

I would argue that sub weapons like throwable bombs consume too much ink for the Hydra to handle in panic situations, and that the only sub weapon that would benefit it more is Beakons to quickly switch perches and provide a buffed superjump for teammates in the event that you run Sub Power Up.

Last edited:

Weavile

Inkster Jr.
HOT TAKE

The most OP weapon has to be the custom jet squelcher.

Were do I even begin with this gun? The range is soooooo long compared to anyother gun. Letting it destroy splattershot pros (which is my favorite gun), rollers, and any other gun with less range. Whcich is FREAKING OP!!!!

I tried snipers and the heavy guns against it, but they're way to slow to fight it with their charge time. since the jet squelcher can instantly reach them and kill them in like 2 seconds. And if u don't feel like using your OP main gun with the custom jet squelcher, u always have the burst bombs that u can use over and over agian. Then with the ultimate move, u can kill everyone because the stingray goes though wals. Whcich IS FREAKING OP!!

I hate everyone who uses the jet squelcher, just adimt your gun is OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wasn't this copied from another thread? And no weapon in this game is OP. The Jet is a 4 shot kill with a low fire rate. Try finding positions to kill it without noticing it. Splatlings kill the jet quicker and doesn't have to fully charge. Chargers can one shot if you can aim. Use right side peeking and unpredictable positioning to get the upper hand. Also the jet may not even hit all it's shots of you strafe or flank it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Wasn't this copied from another thread? And no weapon in this game is OP. The Jet is a 4 shot kill with a low fire rate. Try finding positions to kill it without noticing it. Splatlings kill the jet quicker and doesn't have to fully charge. Chargers can one shot if you can aim. Use right side peeking and unpredictable positioning to get the upper hand. Also the jet may not even hit all it's shots of you strafe or flank it.
At this point I think this is just a copypasta. Anyone with a lick of sense and is over B rank knows this is false.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Ink Mines aren't garbage, particularly on perch weapons.

On weapons like the Custom Hydra, Ink Mines allow you to set up proximity tripmines in places that are common flank routes into your base, which is exceedingly valuable for perch-oriented weapons. If you place the mine carefully, the opponent won't trigger it with their shots and will instead trigger it by being too close, thus marking them with the point sensor effect. If they continue their flank, you'll know exactly how far they've progressed and it gives you more of an opportunity to prepare for them or escape if necessary. If they backtrack to mid, they'll likely be at the mercy of your teammates; even a rando should be able to take out someone who's been marked, but it seems that I can't make this assumption much these days.

I would argue that sub weapons like throwable bombs consume too much ink for the Hydra to handle in panic situations, and that the only sub weapon that would benefit it more is Beakons to quickly switch perches and provide a buffed superjump for teammates in the event that you run Sub Power Up.
This. The only real thing wrong with Ink Mines is that it really isn't on the weapons that could best use it. Examples of this are the Inkbrush Nouveau and Luna Blaster Neo - usually aggro weapons but Ink Mine seems to take away that. I think a great weapon for Ink Mine would be Tenta Brella tbh.

CreeperFishStix

Inkling
NNID
DJFS317
Switch Friend Code
SW-7267-5413-7511
HOT TAKE
Nintendo should add a jukebox to Splatoon 2 so you can pick which songs you want to hear in battle.
For example: you can choose to turn off certain songs or entire bands in this process.
You should also be able to choose from the original game's music, so you can have a large and customizable selection to further enhance your enjoyment of the game as a whole.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
HOT TAKE
Nintendo should add a jukebox to Splatoon 2 so you can pick which songs you want to hear in battle.
For example: you can choose to turn off certain songs or entire bands in this process.
You should also be able to choose from the original game's music, so you can have a large and customizable selection to further enhance your enjoyment of the game as a whole.
I think everyone wants that.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
HOT TAKE!
Patch 4.0 was, by far, the worst patch in the game's history. They know that Emperry, Custom Blaster, and the Rapids completely dominate the game, and yet they barely touched them. The Inkjet nerf was too small imo. What it needs is a mobility nerf, like 10-30% so it can't be used from a super safe place and still pressure mid. I'd also like to see a Drop Roller change when using Inkjet, since camping the landing is the only decent way of killing it. Most of the time a blaster will just doge out of the way and 1-shot you immediately, and that's just bs.

Also, they seemingly forgot about the meta and nerfed TENTA BRELLA instead.

Nintendo what are you on?

Reactions: ana

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
HOT TAKE!
Patch 4.0 was, by far, the worst patch in the game's history. They know that Emperry, Custom Blaster, and the Rapids completely dominate the game, and yet they barely touched them. The Inkjet nerf was too small imo. What it needs is a mobility nerf, like 10-30% so it can't be used from a super safe place and still pressure mid. I'd also like to see a Drop Roller change when using Inkjet, since camping the landing is the only decent way of killing it. Most of the time a blaster will just doge out of the way and 1-shot you immediately, and that's just bs.

Also, they seemingly forgot about the meta and nerfed TENTA BRELLA instead.

Nintendo what are you on?
The amount of nerfs the Slosher Deco got felt incredibly unjustified for. Like I mean, a sprinkler nerf, special gauge nerf, and finally a main weapon nerf. It makes me worried about how the devs balance the game if they just mindlessly slap on some ignorant buffs or nerfs that make weapons to oppressive (Sting Ray from 1.3.0 till 3.0.0) or to underwhelming (Ink jet from 1.3.0 till 2.3.0?).

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The amount of nerfs the Slosher Deco got felt incredibly unjustified for. Like I mean, a sprinkler nerf, special gauge nerf, and finally a main weapon nerf. It makes me worried about how the devs balance the game if they just mindlessly slap on some ignorant buffs or nerfs that make weapons to oppressive or to underwhelming.
That was another thing that just didn't make sense. They've been pretty decent at balancing this game over the past year, why drop the ball now?

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
octoTHOT take, Booyah Bomb will m̶ake ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶e̶t̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶B̶o̶o̶y̶a̶h̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ become as overused as Inkjet thanks to the fact it paints like all hell, gets rid of bombs, denies an area for a good 3 seconds, and can charge your teammate's specials.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
HOT TAKE:

The Splatoon community isn't as unskilled as so many people make it out to be. A lot of high-level players seem to have lost sight of how players at lower ranks play the game and expect everyone to be on their level. I'm guilty of this as well (working on it), though whether I can be called high-level is debatable, heh.

If someone got to rank X, they are among the top players of the game. If they got to S+, they're still in the top 10%, even with post-X rank drift. Full stop.This is something I've come to realize seeing so many people put themselves down on twitter and in private conversation, saying they're "average" or "mediocre" when they're in X and do things like get a consistent 15 kills per game.

Really, expectations are off the charts. You don't have to be X 2400 in every mode to be good at the game. Yes, we all see bad players, but if you think about it, most players aren't consistently bad in the higher ranks. Purely anecdotal, but I can't count the number of times I've had twin league allies get decimated by the opponents, only to face me later and perform much more admirably.

Off games exist, weapon experimentation exists, stupid mistakes happen, and yeah, people do meme and joke around with their weapon choices. None of these things make someone bad at the game. Ranked may have a lot of problems, but bungling your way entirely to rank X really isn't possible without a level of consistency that comes from player skill.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: if you're S+ and up, hell, even if you're S rank, you deserve to feel good about your skills. There's always more to learn and always someone better, but the lot of us should be able to take solace that we've gotten as far as we have. Looking down on someone for "only" being X 2200 or anything lower, or bashing yourself for that, is a small bit of negativity that I wish this community could do without.

Noco

Full Squid
HOT TAKE:

The Splatoon community isn't as unskilled as so many people make it out to be. A lot of high-level players seem to have lost sight of how players at lower ranks play the game and expect everyone to be on their level. I'm guilty of this as well (working on it), though whether I can be called high-level is debatable, heh.

If someone got to rank X, they are among the top players of the game. If they got to S+, they're still in the top 10%, even with post-X rank drift. Full stop.This is something I've come to realize seeing so many people put themselves down on twitter and in private conversation, saying they're "average" or "mediocre" when they're in X and do things like get a consistent 15 kills per game.

Really, expectations are off the charts. You don't have to be X 2400 in every mode to be good at the game. Yes, we all see bad players, but if you think about it, most players aren't consistently bad in the higher ranks. Purely anecdotal, but I can't count the number of times I've had twin league allies get decimated by the opponents, only to face me later and perform much more admirably.

Off games exist, weapon experimentation exists, stupid mistakes happen, and yeah, people do meme and joke around with their weapon choices. None of these things make someone bad at the game. Ranked may have a lot of problems, but bungling your way entirely to rank X really isn't possible without a level of consistency that comes from player skill.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: if you're S+ and up, hell, even if you're S rank, you deserve to feel good about your skills. There's always more to learn and always someone better, but the lot of us should be able to take solace that we've gotten as far as we have. Looking down on someone for "only" being X 2200 or anything lower, or bashing yourself for that, is a small bit of negativity that I wish this community could do without.
This is true on so many levels.

I can't say that I haven't criticized my teammates following a loss, everyone has, but top players constantly looking down on others, only affects the community negatively and discourages the less experienced players who look up to them for improvement.

On the other hand, putting yourself down doesn't do much for anyone either. Self-evaluation is the first step to improvement, but only if approached correctly. It's important to look at the negatives and the positives, focusing on what you did right, and what you could improve on in the future.

Finally, I think its important that people realize that being in ranks S-X is a major accomplishment made possible only by their own skill. Even the worst player in S is among the top players in the world, and is higher than the millions of players in the C-A ranks. This is true for me too: I constantly find myself wondering what's keeping me from achieving X rank, but I'm never satisfied with myself, even though I'm in S+.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
HOT TAKE:
Even though X Rank is supposed to be an ''Extreme rank'' where only the best of the best can get there, it doesn't live up to this expectation at all, people shouldn't force themselves to get there and make a huge deal out of it.

Once you get there, there's not really a reason to go for the high scores other than bragging rights, and even then, no one but yourself can see your exact score in-game. Just getting to X rank is an acheivement in itself and gives you plenty to brag about already.

There's so little reason to play it that some people I know, self included, just got to X rank and that's it. Some of my friends are saying that once they'll get X rank, they'll just stop playing solo too.
It's not because they may be nervous to lose their rank, they can just stop playing and not complete the placement matches if they had a bad run, since you do get to keep X rank if you have incomplete placements at the monthly reset.

There's enough shenanigans going in solo queue that pile up that you reach a point where you can't care anymore.

From the inconsistent point system and the not-so-good matchmaking, some matches end up being a complete waste of time, since the game considers things to be fair within a 500 point range-- meaning that 1900 vs 2400 is ''fair game'', which usually ends up with completely one sided matches that rewards the winners with +0, making your climb virtually impossible.

This just leaves you at the mercy of the game and at this point it feels more like the score is determined too much by outside factors, and not just skills. I'm not saying that skills don't matter, on the contrary a skilled player will be able to eventually got up.

My point is, is it really worth it to put up with all this stressful crap just to get bragging rights?

Unfortunately, the community is in an awkward position, with the top of the community and their obscene standards... the ''If you're not 2400 you're trash at the game and your views don't matter'' thing.

Some people feel like they just have to get to X rank in order to have a chance to be in the competitive community, since they all get shut down after people hear that they're ''only S+'' or ''low scored'' which in all honesty is absurd. You're already fairly good at the game for getting to S+.
I wish the community would just stop looking at top players like all out Gods and that their words are the truth and everything else is wrong.

If you look at league rankings, you'll notice that there's only a handful of teams and duos that have above 2400 points. Does that mean that the vast majority below them is trash, unworthy, and don't deserve a chance?

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
This isn't really a hot take, but it needs to be said.

HOT TAKE!
Stop using Forge Pro! The Foil Squeezer is objectively superior in every single way. It has more range, better painting, better accuracy, the same killtime, and a nearly identical kit. There is no reason to use Forge unless you're not good enough at the game to use Foil.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
This isn't really a hot take, but it needs to be said.

HOT TAKE!
Stop using Forge Pro! The Foil Squeezer is objectively superior in every single way. It has more range, better painting, better accuracy, the same killtime, and a nearly identical kit. There is no reason to use Forge unless you're not good enough at the game to use Foil.
But the squeezer requires effort. No casual will use it if it’s hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom