• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How come people are so bad?

Corvuu

Inkling
So i've bought splatoon a day or 2 ago, thinking i'm in for a good time. I was wrong. Not only am i getting matchmade with level 30-45 people while i'm only level 8, i'm for some reason always outperforming my level 37 teammates. All for nothing, because i've maybe only won 10 games in total. Always getting facestomped because my teammates only do 300 points.

My question is, is it a thing that people are so bad at those high levels? Because it seems unlogical to me.

RedEnchilada

Inkling
NNID
RedEnchilada
Level is a quantifier of how much time someone's played the game for moreso than how good they are, so it's certainly possible for someone to be bad at those levels if you're playing turf war (which you have to be if you aren't level 10 yet, heh). Alternatively, it could be someone who's usually good and decided to screw around with a weapon they're unfamiliar with/blow off steam by screwing around in an unranked game. (TW is fairly popular as a testing ground for new weapons for people or as a place to mess around for higher-leveled people, since it doesn't affect rank or anything else.)

As for why you're getting paired up with them, the game tries to matchmake in TW based on... playstyle? average score? I dunno what it is, but something related to how you've played recently, rather than your level. I know when I become That Guy™ who messes around in TW and annoys my teammates, the game tends to put me with really low-leveled players lol

Corvuu

Inkling
Level is a quantifier of how much time someone's played the game for moreso than how good they are, so it's certainly possible for someone to be bad at those levels if you're playing turf war (which you have to be if you aren't level 10 yet, heh). Alternatively, it could be someone who's usually good and decided to screw around with a weapon they're unfamiliar with/blow off steam by screwing around in an unranked game. (TW is fairly popular as a testing ground for new weapons for people or as a place to mess around for higher-leveled people, since it doesn't affect rank or anything else.)

As for why you're getting paired up with them, the game tries to matchmake in TW based on... playstyle? average score? I dunno what it is, but something related to how you've played recently, rather than your level. I know when I become That Guy™ who messes around in TW and annoys my teammates, the game tends to put me with really low-leveled players lol
Sounds logical enough, but really sucky as well. i'd like to play against people my level, who haven't got full 3 star gear and top weapons i can do nothing against. This just makes me not want to play, since leveling up when losing all the time is dreadfully slow.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was also mildly perturbed at first when I started seeing crazy-experienced L30+ Japanese players all the time when I was still a lowly L12 Brush user, but I've since git gud enough that level isn't a sure indicator of skill anymore.

As for the gear part, you can order 3-star gear off Spyke in the plaza, although it would cost more than getting it from the normal stores (also if you're lucky it'd have the skills the user who wore them in you plaza had).

Weapon-wise, you're already at the point where you have almost all the basic class weapons, plus you already have the most balanced and effective Tentatek Splattershot.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I can totally understand. I started another account to play a different weapon, I felt like all the lower levels were bots because I couldn't believe their actions. It gets better away from turf war, the other modes are more competitive. The grade level is progressive and you'll fit in around your skill level.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf War is a great place to goof off or grind for turf dollars with a Brush, mind. Routine natural 1000s in Kelp Dome and Flounder Heights are a beautiful thing (Current personal record including win bonus is 1500+ points in Turf War). Until my rank gits gud enough I still get pretty decent moola in Turf, although EXP grinding is still faster in Ranked after L20.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Ranked gives you crazy $$$ even if you keep losses in account, compared to Turf. I use Turf War when i want to learn how to use a new weapon but i don't feel confident enough yet to take it to Ranked, and i'd imagine a lot of other high-level players do the same. A lot of people play TF to chill after playing Ranked a whole lot aswell.

Even if you get stuck with a bad team, you shouldn't entirely blame the outcome on your teammates. Remember that you're 25% part of your team. If you're better than them you can always do your best carrying them, not the most noble thing but it's better than blaming everything on them.
And unfortunately sometimes the game thinks it's good pitting a bunch of newbies against a whole bunch of players in their lvl 40's. Not much you can do that, in this case.

Level 8 still means you're very new to this game, if you have the time FLC made several videos about A+ play and general Splatoon stuff. While right now it's outdated by several patches it still teaches a lot of valuable stuff about how to play the game. If you have the time for it, i'd say watch it!

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf War IMO is a great way to quickly get some moola with the Inkbrush, since I'm crazy enough to average 800+ coins natural per match ignoring win bonuses, whereas the money is either big (KO or timeout win), small (timeout loss), or zilch (KO loss) in Ranked. Plus it's less intense unless you get Ranked players coming in to test their splatting skills. But I guess we all have our own methods of farming moola.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
At least carrying in Turf War makes you mad coinage. Also I'm thorough enough in my turf control that much of the time our close wins are because the enemy wasn't meticulous enough in reclaiming every last square meter of turf I took.

___shan

Inkster Jr.
NNID
illegalcopy
Sounds logical enough, but really sucky as well. i'd like to play against people my level, who haven't got full 3 star gear and top weapons i can do nothing against. This just makes me not want to play, since leveling up when losing all the time is dreadfully slow.
It gets much easier when you reach level 10 and can play ranked. The first 10 levels are a frustrating grind. Note, C- rank will make you doubt humanity.

Corvuu

Inkling
It gets much easier when you reach level 10 and can play ranked. The first 10 levels are a frustrating grind. Note, C- rank will make you doubt humanity.
I am indeed doubting humanity now. teamamtes inking the place in tower control..... sigh

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I am indeed doubting humanity now. teamamtes inking the place in tower control..... sigh
Some people ink to charge their special.

But to the original question, people just don't care to get good. The game is fun even if you suck at it (Turf War anyway) as long as you don't care about winning all the time. I do get frustrated from time to time when my teammates are super jumping to me when I'm in a firefight or just standing around, but I mostly get frustrated at myself when I play poorly. Best to focus on the things you can work on instead of things you can't, i.e. your team.

Also, it might be a good idea to join a squad here or get some friends to ink with which will improve the experience.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
You're likely just being put in a low level lobby. Sometimes, when I play Turf Wars, I get put into a lobby filled with low levels along with a few bad high levels, and usually go 15-0 and stuff like that.
Don't get too ****y.
People start doing better as you rank up, the best way to rank up to S is with a friend (You can't rank up/down in squad battles if you're S/S+, so you need to solo those).

Good job SquidBoards, censoring c ****

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Some people ink to charge their special.

But to the original question, people just don't care to get good. The game is fun even if you suck at it (Turf War anyway) as long as you don't care about winning all the time. I do get frustrated from time to time when my teammates are super jumping to me when I'm in a firefight or just standing around, but I mostly get frustrated at myself when I play poorly. Best to focus on the things you can work on instead of things you can't, i.e. your team.

Also, it might be a good idea to join a squad here or get some friends to ink with which will improve the experience.
Inking the enemy side also makes it easier to track their movement and impede their mobility.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
You will find many other people with different ideas and mindsets that you won't understand. It's not uncommon for someone to play a game and still not grasp the concept or objective of a certain mode. Depending on the situation people may feel comfortable knowing there's personal ink on the ground for more freedom, others rely on special attacking thinking it's their best suit.

Others are probably not experienced enough to understand or unreceptive of the situation at hand so sadly it will take them much longer.

The level factor is only really an indication of how much you've played (i've seen some horrible level 40/50's trust me) if you're level 8 and you're doing well as you say then good for you. Just improve on that and you will have no trouble in this game. Though, take this as a warning: When you decide to play ranked mode, it will test your patience at B rank for the most part (heck it still tests my patience at A rank).

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Also don't forget that a lot of young children play this game, and even if they've played to the point where their player-level is relatively high, many will still play the game the way that you'd expect young children to play it.

Dish

Full Squid
NNID
Englannd
I have a friend who is lvl 26 and is a S+ player and have friends who is 40+ and only B-. So level absolutely does not determine skill as some players just play a lot but don't really dig into the competitive aspect.

Kittyy

Inkling
NNID
MisdreavusKitty
Levels dont mean anything as it determines how long a person has played.
I'm a decent player. Have met many people higher level than me do worse all the time. But it also depends on the maps, the ranked, the weapons they are going against, etc. I find myself do terrible against dynamos as im a carbon.
I do terrible at tower control. I do terrible at skatepark

But, I am good against snipers, aerospray, etc
am good at splat zones, and I am good at port mackeral.

Some people are good and bad at certain scenarios. Doesn't label them bad by just not playing well at the time. I'm sure you've had many instances where you played badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom