• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How could we collaborate w/ the Japanese community in the future?

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Do you think the Japanese Community sticks with one composition is because composition doesn't matter or because they are just so good with their weapon?

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
Do you think the Japanese Community sticks with one composition is because composition doesn't matter or because they are just so good with their weapon?
Thats the real question. Personally I think its because they're confident in their skill, and they clearly can back it up.

I dont necessarily think its that comp doesnt matter. But rather then optomizing their setups(for right now at least) theyre just optimizing their mechanics and strats,

Mizu-Husen

Inkling
NNID
Derwent085
As one of Japanese Splatoon players I really enjoyed InkStorm, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to make it possible. I was really surprised to know that how good you guys are to make a video game tournament professional-like. While we also had 5 or 6 Splatoon tournaments so far and quite a lot of teams participated, we didn't have a main streaming page and any commentators.They were all proceeded privately. It was amazing to watch a Splatoon tournament like I was watching World Cup on TV. I can't wait for InkStorm 2 and, many other Japanese teams are now interested in international Splatoon tournaments.

Last edited:

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
As one of Japanese Splatoon players I really enjoyed InkStorm, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to make it possible. I was really surprised to know that how good you guys are to make a video game tournament professional-like. While we also had 5 or 6 Splatoon tournaments so far and quite a lot of teams participated, we didn't have a main streaming page and any commentators.They were all proceeded privately. It was amazing to watch a Splatoon tournament like I was watching World Cup on TV. I can't wait for InkStorm 2 and, many other Japanese teams are now interested in international Splatoon tournaments.
I am really glad to heard that. I learn a lot from watching the Japanese teams. Hopefully, I can eventually play with more top western and Japanese team once I become more competitive.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
So amazing to hear!

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Like @Symph said. I think Inkstorm has that covered as far as a tournament circuit for both the west and the east.
They have put a lot of work into their stream, and it really shows. The tournament action got me so pumped to get better.

The real question is atm, do we keep it at Inkstorm? and if we wanted the people from the East to play in even more tournaments over here, how would we come into contact with them?
I really hope we can at least get these kinds of tournaments at least once a month. That'd be super awesome, and helpful to the growth of Splatoon.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
It'd be great if this type of broadcast would gain popularity in Japan too, putting even more pressure on Nintendo to implement spectator mode.

Power

Inkling Commander
Like @Symph said. I think Inkstorm has that covered as far as a tournament circuit for both the west and the east.
They have put a lot of work into their stream, and it really shows. The tournament action got me so pumped to get better.

The real question is atm, do we keep it at Inkstorm? and if we wanted the people from the East to play in even more tournaments over here, how would we come into contact with them?
I really hope we can at least get these kinds of tournaments at least once a month. That'd be super awesome, and helpful to the growth of Splatoon.
One way for this to be done is to have enough dedicated people to organize such a thing. If we want to expand in tourneys other than inkstorm there needs people that not only want to expand, but are willing to put in the hours to keep communications and scheduling fairly smooth. (A crucial aspect is translators)

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum

Well, like I said, I do plan on getting into Japanese. If I follow through with that, perhaps I could try and set something up in the future?

Obv learning another language is very difficult and im not gonna be getting into it this week or something, but its def on my mind for the future :)

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Well, like I said, I do plan on getting into Japanese. If I follow through with that, perhaps I could try and set something up in the future?

Obv learning another language is very difficult and im not gonna be getting into it this week or something, but its def on my mind for the future :)
I've actually already started learning it. it takes quite awhile to wrap your head around, especially with all the different level of formality and stuff. Basically what i'm saying is that wold probably have to be a very long term plan :P

Dandy

Inkling
@DandyRegardless, my team beat 2 of the japanese teams to knock them out (H&L, iS) and bsGG knocked out SK and is 1-1 with omohide, which is obviously a top team. We're not so far behind
Congrats on beating teams that got knocked out of Round 2 of iOS3: H&L1, H&L2, and IS who I think is Krb. And I think omohide is 2-1 over bsGG. SK vs bsGG is still interesting to me because of how little time SK has played together - pretty sure Hanjou mentioned not knowing what to do with Taiji/Tiramisu and ended up playing a more supportive role, one he isn't used to. But ~*~no johns~*~ I guess.
One way for this to be done is to have enough dedicated people to organize such a thing. If we want to expand in tourneys other than inkstorm there needs people that not only want to expand, but are willing to put in the hours to keep communications and scheduling fairly smooth. (A crucial aspect is translators)
Let's not forget how active Japan's scene is either. Why not try to participate in Japan's big tournaments if you're able to?

iOS3 is the big 290 teams tournament. iOS4 is scheduled to be on November 11th at 9pm JST. SE bo3 until GF which is bo5.
Mix Cup 1 had 176 teams, however Mix Cup 2 is having a 256 team limit. SE group stage, where the top advance into RR.
SyCup 1 had 73 teams, but they're expecting at least 100 this time, with a 200 team limit. SyCup does RR pools into SE bracket.

At least playing by Japan's rules will be easier for translators imho. Either TOs say what each game's game mode will be, it's all SZ, or it's random. Maps are almost always random, too, though I think Mix Cup's 3rd game must always be played on Walleye Warehouse.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I've actually already started learning it. it takes quite awhile to wrap your head around, especially with all the different level of formality and stuff. Basically what i'm saying is that wold probably have to be a very long term plan :p
Ye, I am aware.
Congrats on beating teams that got knocked out of Round 2 of iOS3: H&L1, H&L2, and IS who I think is Krb. And I think omohide is 2-1 over bsGG. SK vs bsGG is still interesting to me because of how little time SK has played together - pretty sure Hanjou mentioned not knowing what to do with Taiji/Tiramisu and ended up playing a more supportive role, one he isn't used to. But ~*~no johns~*~ I guess.Let's not forget how active Japan's scene is either. Why not try to participate in Japan's big tournaments if you're able to?

iOS3 is the big 290 teams tournament. iOS4 is scheduled to be on November 11th at 9pm JST. SE bo3 until GF which is bo5.
Mix Cup 1 had 176 teams, however Mix Cup 2 is having a 256 team limit. SE group stage, where the top advance into RR.
SyCup 1 had 73 teams, but they're expecting at least 100 this time, with a 200 team limit. SyCup does RR pools into SE bracket.

At least playing by Japan's rules will be easier for translators imho. Either TOs say what each game's game mode will be, it's all SZ, or it's random. Maps are almost always random, too, though I think Mix Cup's 3rd game must always be played on Walleye Warehouse.
Yeah, its pretty insane to think that our most significant and hyped up tournament couldn't reach 40 teams while there are Japanese tournaments with 100+ teams competing.

Zubola

Inkling
First thing y'all should do is donate to my paypal at mkzubola@gmail.com aye

jk I'll be around to help out in future events donations or not, everyone has been nice to work with so far

Thinking about doing the other direction and inviting some top western teams to a Japanese tourney sometime, though I'm not sure when that will happen since I'm busy during iOS Cup 4 but we'll see~

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
This is an interesting lecture really, as there's some Japanese players here, I have a couple of questions.
¿Is there any forum in Japan like this one? My knowledge of Japanese is still pretty weak, but I can manage to get stuff from your wikiwiki, I just found regional searching of squads and places like that, but not like this one where we talk about strategies and make players guides, although we have a lot of material here, I want to contrast the approach you make when playing, as I come from the Spanish scene(pretty little and we're still novices, but we made some small tournaments), my squad and I like to perfect two weapons at most and then try strategies and load-outs with the weapons we like, but trying to have a compensated team, stage and mode is a second priority, also I must agree with the tier weapons, hopefully It will change on 2.20, I'd like to see more diversity on the viable weapons.

Also I think we must try to build a bridge among communities that allow us to play Clan Wars, share information and such, question is how, maybe we could make this forum friendly to Japanese language, and there must be people with good English level as the Japanese users that posted on this thread, but only with participation of both places It can be possible.

Mizu-Husen

Inkling
NNID
Derwent085
This is an interesting lecture really, as there's some Japanese players here, I have a couple of questions.
¿Is there any forum in Japan like this one? My knowledge of Japanese is still pretty weak, but I can manage to get stuff from your wikiwiki, I just found regional searching of squads and places like that, but not like this one where we talk about strategies and make players guides, although we have a lot of material here, I want to contrast the approach you make when playing, as I come from the Spanish scene(pretty little and we're still novices, but we made some small tournaments), my squad and I like to perfect two weapons at most and then try strategies and load-outs with the weapons we like, but trying to have a compensated team, stage and mode is a second priority, also I must agree with the tier weapons, hopefully It will change on 2.20, I'd like to see more diversity on the viable weapons.

Also I think we must try to build a bridge among communities that allow us to play Clan Wars, share information and such, question is how, maybe we could make this forum friendly to Japanese language, and there must be people with good English level as the Japanese users that posted on this thread, but only with participation of both places It can be possible.

I don't think we have a Splatoon forum like Squidboards where players can make threads for specific subjects and talk about them, though we have a couple of Splatoon wikis for general knowledge about Splatoon as you mentioned. There are, however, some threads for Splatoon as a part of "2ch" which is the biggest Japanese textboard. This is one of them. http://mastiff.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1445221694/

Unfortunately, they are not talking about Splatoon constructively since they are anonymous. So, if you can read Japanese, you may find this thread quite dirty and unhealthy as it is. Most of top players are communicating on Twitter, which means strategies and guides for Splatoon are discussed privately. I can say that we are still in the middle of development since we are not good at developing a video game community and culture.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I don't think we have a Splatoon forum like Squidboards where players can make threads for specific subjects and talk about them, though we have a couple of Splatoon wikis for general knowledge about Splatoon as you mentioned. There are, however, some threads for Splatoon as a part of "2ch" which is the biggest Japanese textboard. This is one of them. http://mastiff.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1445221694/

Unfortunately, they are not talking about Splatoon constructively since they are anonymous. So, if you can read Japanese, you may find this thread quite dirty and unhealthy as it is. Most of top players are communicating on Twitter, which means strategies and guides for Splatoon are discussed privately. I can say that we are still in the middle of development since we are not good at developing a video game community and culture.
This is so interesting. Then what has allowed Splatoon to become to big in Japan and for the skill to be so high? They get so many entrants into there tournaments which is amazing and honestly i have no idea how. If there isn't that much communication online for an online game and there isn't that much discussion of strategy, then i wonder what it is. Is Splatoon popular in schools or something? Where everybody talks and plays splatoon with all their real life friends and so that is why there is a lot of tourney attendance?

Mizu-Husen

Inkling
NNID
Derwent085
This is so interesting. Then what has allowed Splatoon to become to big in Japan and for the skill to be so high? They get so many entrants into there tournaments which is amazing and honestly i have no idea how. If there isn't that much communication online for an online game and there isn't that much discussion of strategy, then i wonder what it is. Is Splatoon popular in schools or something? Where everybody talks and plays splatoon with all their real life friends and so that is why there is a lot of tourney attendance?
It's my mistake to give you an impression that there isn't much online communication, Japanese players have an public online place for Splatoon,
but that is not a forum or a thread. That is NicoNico:http://www.nicovideo.jp/search/splatoon?sort=n&order=d

This is the place where Splatoon has became so big for Japanese, and many Japanese players uploaded playing videos. Since you can comment on videos, NicoNico is more popular than Youtube or Twitter. Also, many players are streaming on NicoNicoStream and, I think this has become the online public place for Japanese players to communicate with each other using Skype and Twitter at the same time.

You should definitely check out NicoNico if you want to know about Splatoon Culture in Japan.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
It's my mistake to give you an impression that there isn't much online communication, Japanese players have an public online place for Splatoon,
but that is not a forum or a thread. That is NicoNico:http://www.nicovideo.jp/search/splatoon?sort=n&order=d

This is the place where Splatoon has became so big for Japanese, and many Japanese players uploaded playing videos. Since you can comment on videos, NicoNico is more popular than Youtube or Twitter. Also, many players are streaming on NicoNicoStream and, I think this has become the online public place for Japanese players to communicate with each other using Skype and Twitter at the same time.

You should definitely check out NicoNico if you want to know about Splatoon Culture in Japan.
Oh interesting. I thought it was only a streaming website like Twitch. Had no idea it stored videos like youtube. Very cool stuff. and lol the first video that showed up on that link xD

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
Oh interesting. I thought it was only a streaming website like Twitch. Had no idea it stored videos like youtube. Very cool stuff. and lol the first video that showed up on that link xD

That's why you don't find a lot of Japanese on Youtube, and also explains the success of other media explosions like Vocaloid a couple of years ago.

Well, that's why I was thinking there was another gap between our communities, but maybe you will take Squidboards as example, also there's some private information on teams, I'm sure of that, but we make public some to make higher the general lvl, stronger opponents means you have to be stronger as well.
As for the 2ch board, I looked before for other kind of games, finding something worth will take a lot of time, so It's better to head to niconico. there's a lot of videos worth to watch, I got some saved like http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27048660 (An account is necessary, there's an English button somewhere, so I think is easy to sign up)
And well, as you're saying niconico is a big part of the culture of Splatoon, then I think we should add one element that may give some reasons, since you love to make and read doujins(fanzines) and Splatoon is very approachable since you can tell stories about one Squad you imagine. There's a lot of material on Twitter and Pixiv(drawing board) with a lot of comics that even inspired some artist here to make something similar, I know people that started playing after reading that comics, but as I'm not from there I can't say if the impact is big or not, I know it's really big deal for some games like Touhou.

So one possible approach is twitter and Niconico, but guys if you're thinking on going to niconico, careful, my experience is there's people that don't like foreigners there, but there's other people that welcome us, just try to avoid conflicts, niconico have a kind of forum feature that's called community, but I don't know how it really works, we could make one for us and Japanese players that want to play with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom