• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How did everyone enjoy the splat fest???

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Did anyone else have an issue trying to play with friends? My friend and I both chose team Ice Cream and went to the multiplayer team battle. We were able to link up but unable to play together without a full team. It wouldn't allow us to go in as a pair. Either I did something wrong or I hope this gets corrected in the actual release of the game!
I queued solo the whole time, but it looked like you should have been able to join as pairs, OR full teams...so it should have worked. Still, look at it like it was a beta/stress test...even with less than a week until launch, there are gonna be bugs. Wait until EVERYONE is playing on EVERY stage with EVERY weapon/gear piece. Gonna take a while for Nintendo to stomp out all the bugs/exploits that are going to rise.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Did anyone else have an issue trying to play with friends? My friend and I both chose team Ice Cream and went to the multiplayer team battle. We were able to link up but unable to play together without a full team. It wouldn't allow us to go in as a pair. Either I did something wrong or I hope this gets corrected in the actual release of the game!
Playing with friends requires a total of 4 people, it's basically the same as quad squads from the first game.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
  • I had a ton of fun. The game looks great in close up shots.
  • Match Making took way too long
  • The new maps are pretty cool and the old maps are even better now.
  • Controls still take some getting used to.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Played 10 hours overall. Two in Japanese, and Four hours each for European and US. Absolutely loved it and once and for all quenched my thirst so I won't be too impatient about the release next week.

As for communicatin errors, everyone had them. The server was just ****. I think it was of the same quality as the Splatoon Test Fire server. Do keep in mind however that the ARMS Test Fire contained ghastly server usage and communication errors from all sides as well, none of which is an issue in the full game.
Not to make any promises that this will be the same case in Splatoon, but I would believe it's unlikely the Splatoon servers will be as bad as those of the demo.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I didn't get a chance to play personally since my switch is shipping later this week, but I really enjoyed the streams I watched of the splatfest. The game looks great and feels a lot more balanced now that specials like bubbler, kraken, and inkzooka are history. The 3 maps that I got to see all had a nice feel to them but the Art Academy was easily my favorite. It feels a lot like Walleye Warehouse 2.0 with how the map is designed and played

Moray Towers has been vastly improved with the larger lanes, extended side areas, and increased stage movement thanks to the ink lines. I still feel like it favors chargers a little too much though since all the ink rails are easily locked down from the same spot that chargers were already known for standing at. The map still lacks a way to approach chargers without them having clear sight of you the entire time but at least now there are a few more ways to get to them.
  • Fast falling with the Splat Dualies roll is going to make that weapon incredibly fun to play on a lot of the maps with high elevation.
  • Ink Jet feels under-powered. It seems hard to aim at a lot of angles and the shots have limited range before they disappear. The risk is much higher than the reward for this special in a lot of cases. Not that I'm complaining though, I'll take that over another Inkzooka situation any day.
  • I heard a lot of complaints about "aim acceleration" by multiple streamers. I'm not a motion control player so i'm not sure what that felt like, but something with gyro has changed from the original Splatoon.
Definitely excited for Friday! Even though I work until 10 p.m ; ;

Krauzzer

Inkling
I am new to the whole Splatoon world, but I really enjoy it a lot. I cannot wait to get it to be able to try out the whole game. The splatfest was pretty fun, and it gave me a better idea as to why this game is so popular.

I was with the minority of the Cake team, and I was able to achieve the Cake King title. Sadly we lost :(

I sucked with the charger, and I need to practice the roll and the vertical splat for sure. They seem to be very important moves that will help with the versatility of the weapons.

Noob Q: What is the benefit of the splatfest in the regular game? Do you get unique items?

Nixon_Corral

Inkling
Really enjoyed it. Never played Splatoon 1 (was out of town for 3 months when it came out, so I sort of missed the initial hype and just never got around to buying it), but this Splatfest has sold me on the concept. I partied up with three friends and had a blast. Still getting accustomed to the different weapons and controls, but we still did a lot of winning, and I felt I was quickly getting up to speed.

On a related note, what is the consensus on motion controls? Or is there one?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Really enjoyed it. Never played Splatoon 1 (was out of town for 3 months when it came out, so I sort of missed the initial hype and just never got around to buying it), but this Splatfest has sold me on the concept. I partied up with three friends and had a blast. Still getting accustomed to the different weapons and controls, but we still did a lot of winning, and I felt I was quickly getting up to speed.

On a related note, what is the consensus on motion controls? Or is there one?
Generally (emphasis on generally) speaking, motion controls are superior to sticks. There's plenty of people that prefer the latter for valid reasons, but the grand majority of players use motion controls.

Nixon_Corral

Inkling
Generally (emphasis on generally) speaking, motion controls are superior to sticks. There's plenty of people that prefer the latter for valid reasons, but the grand majority of players use motion controls.
Ah, cool. I sort of felt that motion would be what I would ultimately settle on, but I was interested to see what vets thought. Appreciate the reply.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I am new to the whole Splatoon world, but I really enjoy it a lot. I cannot wait to get it to be able to try out the whole game. The splatfest was pretty fun, and it gave me a better idea as to why this game is so popular.

I was with the minority of the Cake team, and I was able to achieve the Cake King title. Sadly we lost :(

I sucked with the charger, and I need to practice the roll and the vertical splat for sure. They seem to be very important moves that will help with the versatility of the weapons.

Noob Q: What is the benefit of the splatfest in the regular game? Do you get unique items?
Participating in splatfests gets you Super Sea Snails, the amount depending on your title and whether your side won or lost. In the first game a Super Sea Snail can be used for a free re-roll, which normally costs 30,000 in-game cash. You usually get 1000-2000 per turf war match, so snails are quite valuable, and someone who gets to King on the winning team got a whopping 24 snails, while they still get 18 on the losing side.

We can assume they'll work similarly in the sequel, and now they'll be even more valuable with Murch's new services!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It well proved me wrong! Nintendo is actually making improvements to the online play as I was able to immediately notice how much better Splatoon 2's netcode is from Splatoon 1. Of course I was going to accept paid online anyway, but between this and only $20/year it's a much easier pill to swallow.

As for gameplay, I greatly enjoyed the Splat Dualies and used them the most. Dodgeroll is very useful for escapes, but I still need more practice using them offensively. Burst Bombs were okay, but I rarely got any splats with them alone. They're more for assisted splats now. Tentamissles is my favorite special so far with how easily usable it is.

I didn't get anything out of the Splat Chargers hold charge ability as I don't think I fully understand how it works. Whenever I popped out of the ink to fire my shot, it wasn't fully charged shot for some reason. Guess I'll be sticking to Scopes, I need the accuracy help anyway. And yeah the Stingray could use further buffing. It should atleast kill faster if it's going to lock you in place.

Got a ton of ussage out of the Rollers vertical flick, though I did mess up a few times and go vertical when I wanted horizontal, still gotta get used to it. Not a huge fan of the curling bomb but I like it more than the Seeker if only because it doesn't take your entire tank. Splash Down is pretty sweet but I forgot to try super jumping with it hehe.

Lastly the Tentatek, well it had nothing new about it's main n sub, but the Inkjet was very fun to use, but also not easy to use. It's no good hitting areas above it, and it's shots don't travel as fast as the Inkzooka's making directs harder to land. Then of course you have to be mindful of where you activate it at. I forgot about that detail and ended up dead a number of times hehe.

All in all I had great fun, can't wait til Friday!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It well proved me wrong! Nintendo is actually making improvements to the online play as I was able to immediately notice how much better Splatoon 2's netcode is from Splatoon 1. Of course I was going to accept paid online anyway, but between this and only $20/year it's a much easier pill to swallow.

As for gameplay, I greatly enjoyed the Splat Dualies and used them the most. Dodgeroll is very useful for escapes, but I still need more practice using them offensively. Burst Bombs were okay, but I rarely got any splats with them alone. They're more for assisted splats now. Tentamissles is my favorite special so far with how easily usable it is.

I didn't get anything out of the Splat Chargers hold charge ability as I don't think I fully understand how it works. Whenever I popped out of the ink to fire my shot, it wasn't fully charged shot for some reason. Guess I'll be sticking to Scopes, I need the accuracy help anyway. And yeah the Stingray could use further buffing. It should atleast kill faster if it's going to lock you in place.

Got a ton of ussage out of the Rollers vertical flick, though I did mess up a few times and go vertical when I wanted horizontal, still gotta get used to it. Not a huge fan of the curling bomb but I like it more than the Seeker if only because it doesn't take your entire tank. Splash Down is pretty sweet but I forgot to try super jumping with it hehe.

Lastly the Tentatek, well it had nothing new about it's main n sub, but the Inkjet was very fun to use, but also not easy to use. It's no good hitting areas above it, and it's shots don't travel as fast as the Inkzooka's making directs harder to land. Then of course you have to be mindful of where you activate it at. I forgot about that detail and ended up dead a number of times hehe.

All in all I had great fun, can't wait til Friday!
We'll see if this catches on or not, but I had better success with the inkjet using a trick from other shooters I've played - aiming at the ground or the enemy's feet instead of the enemy themselves. Probably not as likely to be lethal, but it's great for pressuring and assists!

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Lastly the Tentatek, well it had nothing new about it's main n sub, but the Inkjet was very fun to use, but also not easy to use. It's no good hitting areas above it, and it's shots don't travel as fast as the Inkzooka's making directs harder to land.
Yeah it moves a lot slower, I don't think I even died a single time from an Inkjet shot cuz it's so predictable and slow.

It also disappears into thin air if it doesn't collide with anything immediately (its range isn't that long). I thought my shots were getting lagged out at first! As it turns out, if you shoot it in the air and don't hit anything, it literally is a complete waste of a shot, since it doesn't even ink!

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Yeah it moves a lot slower, I don't think I even died a single time from an Inkjet shot cuz it's so predictable and slow.

It also disappears into thin air if it doesn't collide with anything immediately (its range isn't that long). I thought my shots were getting lagged out at first! As it turns out, if you shoot it in the air and don't hit anything, it literally is a complete waste of a shot, since it doesn't even ink!
Oh I do think that needs to change too...the sting ray needs a small buff somewhere and the inkjet should have an infinite range. It is already one of the slowest weapons in the game and leaves you vulnerable while using it...let me at least blast some ink wads at the opponents spawn area XD

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I enjoyed myself. Had no communication errors at all, unless it was before or after a match; never during one, which is fine in my books. Not only that, but it looks like they improved on the quality of the netcode for this demo as well; I didn't notice the same issue as in the previous test fire where I would get insta-splatted from a splattershot or dualie without taking any previous damage.

EDIT: Oh, and I played the entire 4 hours in tabletop mode, which worked a lot better than I though. Wi-fi held up nicely.

Last edited:

TOOF7LTHY

Inkling
NNID
TOOF7LTHY
Was super fun I kept getting communication error between rounds.. I went out and bought a lan adapter today lol so im ready for when Splatoon 2 drops. I missed about 1 hour 45 mins of the splatfest due to work... Got to like Ice Cream Champ 24/99 and about 1800 Ice Cream Rating.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
I had a good time. Took part in all 3 region splatfests from start to finish and really felt good about the game, maps, and mechanics as a whole. I also was impressed by the netcode, unlike Splatoon 1 where it seems I always wind up in at least 1-2 matches an hour with players that lag sometimes into 3-4 second ranges (not my internet, wired with a fiber connection), I saw such behavior only once in the whole 12 hours (and in that case it was a DC-fest where only 2 players survived the entire match without disconnecting, making me believe whoever was the "host" player was having major issues). I did have a few lobby connection issues but I chalked that down to the build being a beta and am hopeful this will go away with release or in a patch or two.

I tried out all 4 weapons at least a few times and decided firmly on the Tentatek as my main for the day. I tried charger, but for some reason I had a lot more trouble with it than I do in Splatoon 1. I'm not sure if the pro controller has something to do with it due to the different dimensions compared to the gamepad, but I'm not much of a sniper anyway so I don't consider it a big deal. The roller was okay, I enjoyed the vertical flick and the speedups, but rolling around just isn't my style of play. Dualies were a disappointment, honestly. I wish they had kept the ability to jump, or at the very least mapped the roll button to A instead of the jump button, because it is such a jarring change to go from a regular shooter where you jump and shoot all the time to the dualies where if you try jumping and shooting, you're just going to roll off into one direction by accident. All it did was get me into trouble and frustrate me, and as a shooter/splatling/slosher main, I feel like it's not something I can easily adjust to because I'll still be using the jump button with all of my other weapons. Couple that with the disappointing kit on the dapple dualies, and the hype is just gone for me. I loved the tenta missiles, but I have no other reasons to play it.

The maps were pretty good and balanced to my first impression. I really liked the art academy and humpback pumptrack maps, and I REALLY like the addition of the rails on Moray. The rails on Moray give us shooters another option to try and take out or put pressure on the snipers, forcing them to pay attention in three directions now instead of just two. I think it'll give shooters enough of an edge now that we won't have to suffer through 4-6 sniper teams when Moray shows up anymore.

teknerd

Inkling
NNID
FieryRedDogTeko
I had to get used to controls cuz I haven't played in forever. I kept remembering jumping as X from the WiiU so I kept messing up there lol. It felt kind of slow but that's only cuz we were stuck with the abilities given on the demo clothing. I overall had a fun time though! I did end up dcing a lot here and there idk whats up with that.
I cant wait for the full game to come out. I wanna get my inkling all dressed up and test out all the new stuff fully.

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
I had to get used to controls cuz I haven't played in forever. I kept remembering jumping as X from the WiiU so I kept messing up there lol. It felt kind of slow but that's only cuz we were stuck with the abilities given on the demo clothing. I overall had a fun time though! I did end up dcing a lot here and there idk whats up with that.
I cant wait for the full game to come out. I wanna get my inkling all dressed up and test out all the new stuff fully.
I had the same problem at first with thinking X should be the jump button, but after failing to find a way to change the controls, I just accepted B as the new jump and kept thinking "don't press X". There were still some scramble situations where I did press X and died because of it. I am sure I will be using X at the right time to check my map once I get the hang of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom