How do I use the Big bubbler?

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
I play a lot of roller and I am really excited about the Mint decavitator
But I gotta be honest I really do not understand how to use big bubbler correctly (outside of TC) despite my roller experience
I rarely get value out of it so do you guys got any tips?

Masked_Katz

Gnarly Eddy's Boyfriend
Switch Friend Code
SW-3907-3792-4200
I'm not a huge roller player BUT I am a Jr. player! I'm not super competitive yet, but I can say it's a versatile special, and while it may not be super impactful like most others, I think it can be used to...
  • protect yourself from death; it's not the best panic button but if you use it wisely you can hold your ground and wait for backup.
  • push up (preferably with the rest of your team) to protect yourself while taking control of the map or objective.
  • pull back when outnumbered to give your teammates a safer spot to jump and possibly prevent spawncamping.
  • stop the line of fire as a big splashwall, which is especially good for maneuvering around flanks or preventing enemy team entry. (put it near clam basket/ rainmaker checkpoint while your teammate scores, or block an enemy route to the splat zone, or when in doubt just put it on tower, etc.)

This is not a definite list but just some ideas I've had at the top of my head. I've actually heard a few times now that the roller is the best at taking advantage of the big bubbler and I assume it's because it helps it flank and get paint out when it needs it most, which leads me to believe it will be a good pick for the decavitator as well.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is not a definite list but just some ideas I've had at the top of my head. I've actually heard a few times now that the roller is the best at taking advantage of the big bubbler and I assume it's because it helps it flank and get paint out when it needs it most, which leads me to believe it will be a good pick for the decavitator as well.
It's also because of the wide, one-hit kill hitbox that makes it dangerous to even enter the bubble compared to other weapons. I could probably enter a Big Bubbler with a Jr. inside and get away with it but I wouldn't even try that against a Splat Roller.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
For general uses though, @Masked_Katz has already stated most of them but I will add that Big Bubbler can get shredded very quickly in certain spots, especially those that make it easy to hit the top of the special. You need to play around that and expect that the special might not be able to protect you for long if you're placing them in choke points or just any area where there's a lot of enemy players watching.

I've seen some Rollers use that to their advantage by having it be a distraction as they push in, especially against slower weapons that won't be able to break the bubble as fast and might not be able to immediately kill them when they finally notice the Roller moving in.
Rollers also just tend to use the special more selfishly by going under ledges, trying to catch anyone off guard, and then popping Big Bubbler when the enemy team notices them there.

Also, sometimes in TC it's better to place Big Bubbler ahead of the Tower instead of on top of it. Big Bubbler has shorter duration when placed on Tower and is also made smaller in certain areas of the map (I'm not sure if it has less HP too but I don't think so). I'm not saying to never use it on the Tower though, just that there's certain situations where it might be better to place it somewhere else.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Big Bubbler has shorter duration when placed on Tower and is also made smaller in certain areas of the map (I'm not sure if it has less HP too but I don't think so).
Its duration and HP are tied, so having a shorter duration means it loses HP faster. The base HP is the same though.

TheBearProphet

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him
NNID
BearProfit
Switch Friend Code
SW-3580-6675-6119
Look for anyone on the enemy team with the Object Shedder primary ability (shoes only). It’s still a common choice for several Backline/anchor weapons and (speaking from that perspective) it can really make taking down a bubbler quicker than you would expect.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Friendly reminder that Bubbler is also an instant ink tank refill, which will be particularly relevant for the Decavitator. It could sometimes be a good idea to pop the special just to recover ink and push ahead of it, leaving it as a jump point for teammates. As long as you're not being watched by enemies with lethal bombs, of course.

Yeenom

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
I play a lot of roller and I am really excited about the Mint decavitator
But I gotta be honest I really do not understand how to use big bubbler correctly (outside of TC) despite my roller experience
I rarely get value out of it so do you guys got any tips?
Use it when you're somewhat far away from an enemy. Think of it as the opposite of Splash Wall, it's really good at range but is very easy to counterplay when it's close. BB is kind of useless close range because enemies can just walk into it but it is very good at protecting you when they can't. Roller is kind of screwed in this aspect (More reason to use Krak-On), but every other weapon with it has the range to fight inside of it while keeping their distance. Using it in high ground is also good because it makes it harder for opponents to hit the weak spot on the top. It also acts as a free Beacon during and after its duration so that's pretty cool.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Use it when you're somewhat far away from an enemy. Think of it as the opposite of Splash Wall, it's really good at range but is very easy to counterplay when it's close. BB is kind of useless close range because enemies can just walk into it but it is very good at protecting you when they can't. Roller is kind of screwed in this aspect (More reason to use Krak-On), but every other weapon with it has the range to fight inside of it while keeping their distance. Using it in high ground is also good because it makes it harder for opponents to hit the weak spot on the top. It also acts as a free Beacon during and after its duration so that's pretty cool.
You're almost correct.
Roller is actually the best weapon with Big Bubbler. Its wide flicks allow it to consistently splat enemies who try to enter its bubble.
The Decavitator should be able to play to the same strength, though it does have the option of placing it farther back.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
I'd say for roller it actually does want to place it as far as it can, and I think mint will too.
Since no one wants to enter a roller's bubble, as long as it's up, you're safe in your position, so your team can (hopefully) catch up to you and take a lot of space in one go.

As for positions, try to get in an important area for the objective, and prevent the enemies from standing in it. As for important positions, go where the enemies need to stand to play the objective, in front of the zone, the rainmaker, under both clam baskets etc.

You can also use bubble as a stalling tool, in a neutral state, if two people are taking time shredding your bubble, they're wasting time in an unwinnable 2v1, so your team's playing a 3v2 for a bit, it kind of works like a tent shield in that regard, you just want to ensure that you live after that, or at least trade, since it's not guaranteed that your team will be able to play off of that.

And one more note on vroller specifically, sometimes if your team isn't able to catch up to you for some reason and your bubble gets shredded, it's usually better to jump back to a teammate since you most likely don't have any paint around you to work with.

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
Ahh that makes sense I also have been playing some H-3 D so I can try this out with that

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I've heard it said that bubble is good on either very short range weapons or very long range weapons. Short range because they have the splatting power to stop you from entering the bubble, and long range weapons because they have the range to stop you from getting close while the bubble stops you from throwing stuff like bombs at them. (This is why I really really want it on ballpoint. ballpoint has both.) But none of the longer range weapons have big bubbler. Midrange weapons like H-3 are in the weird inbetween where the distance they like to keep enemies at is pretty close outside the bubble, so it doesn't take much for them to get inside. And you also don't have the consistent damage to reliably splat them once they get inside, so the best play is to back up and kite them, which is what you would do normally, but then you lose the bubble.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
make sure you have a teammate next to you when you use bubbler because your opponents can enter the bubbler any time and if you need to retreat while the special is active, bubbler is a great retreat point.

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
Midrange weapons like H-3 are in the weird inbetween where the distance they like to keep enemies at is pretty close outside the bubble, so it doesn't take much for them to get inside. And you also don't have the consistent damage to reliably splat them once they get inside, so the best play is to back up and kite them, which is what you would do normally, but then you lose the bubble.
I feel like H-3 CAN make up for this by using its splash wall but then your bubbles cant really be too aggresive (that is unless you first throw a wall then use your bubble)

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I never even used H-3 except during hero mode

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I feel like H-3 CAN make up for this by using its splash wall but then your bubbles cant really be too aggresive (that is unless you first throw a wall then use your bubble)
explain how you would use the wall to help with this? you mean having a wall inside the bubble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom