• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
This is a field I tend to struggle with. I'm currently at A+ (4) after dropping from 96. As I've ranked up, I've encountered constant streaks where I'd drop two or three full ranks. I know the smart thing to do is to take a break and cool down, but I wonder if anyone else struggles with what feels (at least to me) like giving up after a losing streak.

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Yeah I hear that's the ideal thing to do. My problem is that I feel like I'm giving up just because things aren't going my way.

Reactions: LAG

Power

Inkling Commander
Don't let the losing streak get to your head. Easier said than done. Try some deep breathing if you are frustrated (which will be somewhat challenging considering you are going to want to throw your virtual teammates into a wall.) You could also just try letting your anger out by exercising as hard as you can for like 5 minutes. Once you have calmed down, you can actually focus on what you did wrong. Correction will soon come as you learn from your mistakes. This can be anything so I will not go into detail on that. It is a process, so try not to get super frustrated if you just can't get something one day.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I'll try doing a bunch of push ups or something the next time it happens, thanks for the advice. My next worry is getting my rank up from 4. If I lose the next match later, it's back to A (for the third time).

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Don't let the losing streak get to your head. Easier said than done. Try some deep breathing if you are frustrated (which will be somewhat challenging considering you are going to want to throw your virtual teammates into a wall.) You could also just try letting your anger out by exercising as hard as you can for like 5 minutes. Once you have calmed down, you can actually focus on what you did wrong. Correction will soon come as you learn from your mistakes. This can be anything so I will not go into detail on that. It is a process, so try not to get super frustrated if you just can't get something one day.
Everyone is going to get hella buff thanks to this advice now.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I just finally flipped out today after hitting 90. I know I couldn't exactly expect a +10 the next win since I had just had a winning streak. But this was the first time I ever got +6 for one win. Then after that, I plummeted back down.

Toaster

Senior Squid
When I go through losing streaks I would usually go to private battle and have a squidparty with some people. I guess kidsquidding around makes me feel better as it always gets me in a good mood and gives me motivation to play well and what-not.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
When I go through losing streaks I would usually go to private battle and have a squidparty with some people. I guess kidsquidding around makes me feel better as it always gets me in a good mood and gives me motivation to play well and what-not.
That does sound like a good idea, but I don't know anyone I can do that with right now.

Toaster

Senior Squid
That does sound like a good idea, but I don't know anyone I can do that with right now.
I just go on to miiverse and ask people if they want to squid party I usually get about two or three people. I would squid party with you but the charger for mu wii u's gamepad stopped working so I'm unable to use it...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I have now dropped to A-. Splatoon I see just isn't for me.

Shalnark

Full Squid
When I'm on a losing streak, it's usually because my incompetent S rank teammates die a lot and I try to compensate by 1v3ing the enemies, which usually doesn't end well. I learned (but I don't actually do it yet) that when your teammates die a lot, you have to ink a lot of turf, build special, and stall the enemy team as much as you can without dying.

BKTang'

Inkling
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
I generally stop playing ranked when I'm on a losing streak, and do turf wars to calm down.
Sometimes changing weapons is a good thing, for example when I lose a lot with the splatterscope, I go to .52 gal or tentatek, which is refreshing my gameplay.
You can also put some limits, I mean if you are A 80, you tell yourself that if you go under A 30, stop so you have enough points for the next time to avoid deranking.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Yeah I hear that's the ideal thing to do. My problem is that I feel like I'm giving up just because things aren't going my way.
I feel the same way. I am way too persistent. From A+ 80 back to A+20. Its a struggle.

When I'm on a losing streak, it's usually because my incompetent S rank teammates die a lot and I try to compensate by 1v3ing the enemies, which usually doesn't end well. I learned (but I don't actually do it yet) that when your teammates die a lot, you have to ink a lot of turf, build special, and stall the enemy team as much as you can without dying.
Interesting. I will keep this in mind.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I generally stop playing ranked when I'm on a losing streak, and do turf wars to calm down.
Heh - I'm doing the exact opposite - for the most part all I see in turf wars are super aggressive S/S+ players, and so I'll play ranked with my fellow B+s whenever I need a break from the carnage!

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Yell with every fiber of my being at the TV with the temptation of throwing my game pad at the screen, but instead I punch a hole in my wall while cursing out loud, then I take a shower in freezing water to cool my temperature, then I talk to myself out loud in public to keep some sanity.

But in all honesty,I just shrug it off and keep going or take a break and play something else competitively.
I might have already posted this here.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I just finally flipped out today after hitting 90. I know I couldn't exactly expect a +10 the next win since I had just had a winning streak. But this was the first time I ever got +6 for one win. Then after that, I plummeted back down.
At A+ 80 and higher your most likely only ging to recieve 6-8 points if you win and lose up to 12 points if you lose. S 80 performs similarly I beleive.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I'm sitting at like A- 60-something right now, so I think I'll wait for a good Tower Control matchup (I main the Luna Blaster, so go figure).

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I've noticed that there are times it seems no matter what you seem to do you just cant win due to matchmaking seemingly stacked against you. Those are the times (after 5-6 straight losses) I just turn off the game for a while. Nintendo never said the exact method to their matchmaking only you getting put with "like" players. Sometimes I think what ever algorithm they have you in can be geared towards having the disadvantage, whether that be on a team with lower ranks or all of one weapon, etc. Although the majority of time this isn't the case for any losses (it's just the fact the player is doing something wrong in their play), I even feel this can be the case even in the reverse.

There have been times (usually first hour or two after a new map comes out) where I play particularly bad, yet due to matchmaking get straight up carried 5-6 win games in a row. I know in any other usual match I'm in (especially since I'm in S rank) you consistently have to be a good player and contribute in order to win and maintain the rank. Makes no sense for someone who happens to be playing poorly that day to have more wins than losses if it wasn't matchmaking putting me on the superior team. Idk, could just be luck but since usually when I play good I advance and play poorly I lose I think there is something wonky with Nintendo matchmaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom