How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I've noticed that there are times it seems no matter what you seem to do you just cant win due to matchmaking seemingly stacked against you. Those are the times (after 5-6 straight losses) I just turn off the game for a while. Nintendo never said the exact method to their matchmaking only you getting put with "like" players. Sometimes I think what ever algorithm they have you in can be geared towards having the disadvantage, whether that be on a team with lower ranks or all of one weapon, etc. Although the majority of time this isn't the case for any losses (it's just the fact the player is doing something wrong in their play), I even feel this can be the case even in the reverse.

There have been times (usually first hour or two after a new map comes out) where I play particularly bad, yet due to matchmaking get straight up carried 5-6 win games in a row. I know in any other usual match I'm in (especially since I'm in S rank) you consistently have to be a good player and contribute in order to win and maintain the rank. Makes no sense for someone who happens to be playing poorly that day to have more wins than losses if it wasn't matchmaking putting me on the superior team. Idk, could just be luck but since usually when I play good I advance and play poorly I lose I think there is something wonky with Nintendo matchmaking.
Yeah I agree. Something's weird with matchmaking. I never seem to have a balanced day. I either won them all, or lost them all.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Switch to the other weapon(s), that you are competent with or take a break and wait for the next rotation.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
There's 3 things I would say:

1) Take a break and find another rotation, people tend to only play at different modes and thus you encounter different people
2) Channel that anger and use it as focus (yes people use negative energy and turn it into power in some places)
3) Find out what you did wrong, plan out different strategies and use different weapons

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
Normally what i would do is just do something like go into mk8, set the cpus to easy and boost my ego loads

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
Yell with every fiber of my being at the TV with the temptation of throwing my game pad at the screen, but instead I punch a hole in my wall while cursing out loud, then I take a shower in freezing water to cool my temperature, then I talk to myself out loud in public to keep some sanity.

But in all honesty,I just shrug it off and keep going or take a break and play something else competitively.
I might have already posted this here.
When I sawas the first part of the post I was like "oh my goodness we are the same". Then I read the rest of the post and was really sad.

In all seriousness, I am a really hard rager, it can be really rough, of course when there are other people I am much, much, much better when people are around. But when it gets really bad I just simply stop playing.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
God will it never end? This game really is a simulator of one step forward, two steps backward. A- 30? This is bullshit!

Info:
I'm trying to recover back to A+ 96, where I once was.

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I think you're too focused on getting your rank back. Your mind is confused by this idea, this goal. Try to clean it and juste focus the game you're playing. This is a short focus of 5 minutes (not counting overtime) you need. Dive into the game and only into the game to see what you're doing good, what you're doing wrong. I ended my "stucking into the B+ rank" by using this method and I think I improved my gameplay. I keep in mind that the common point of all my win and lose streak is me. If I lose I'm 25% of the defeat. If I win, I'm 25% of the win.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
A- to B+ in one evening, and then to B- in another ;__;

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I think you're too focused on getting your rank back. Your mind is confused by this idea, this goal. Try to clean it and juste focus the game you're playing. This is a short focus of 5 minutes (not counting overtime) you need. Dive into the game and only into the game to see what you're doing good, what you're doing wrong. I ended my "stucking into the B+ rank" by using this method and I think I improved my gameplay. I keep in mind that the common point of all my win and lose streak is me. If I lose I'm 25% of the defeat. If I win, I'm 25% of the win.
No I get what your saying, and I don't focus on recovering in the middle of the match. But at the end of the day, after I'm done playing, I'm still lower than I was. I appreciate your advice, I'll try a little harder to keep it outta my head.

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I'm glad you're willing to take my advice in count and I hope it will work for you as it worked for me!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Personally, i don't mind losing rank. A few days ago i got a series of bad matches going on and i was allmost dropping back to A- but my team won the deciding match.
I actually wanted to drop back to A- (and maybe further) just so i can have a few easy rounds to mellow out on, A ranked matches are too intense for me to play for hours on end. I'm not touching TW anymore because the matchmaking for that is absolute thumbscrews.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Personally, i don't mind losing rank. A few days ago i got a series of bad matches going on and i was allmost dropping back to A- but my team won the deciding match.
I actually wanted to drop back to A- (and maybe further) just so i can have a few easy rounds to mellow out on, A ranked matches are too intense for me to play for hours on end. I'm not touching TW anymore because the matchmaking for that is absolute thumbscrews.
That's a pretty good mindset to have, actually. I think you're right, there is no real need to rank up or down. Of course, I won't just give up on hoping to go back up, but I think I should try to enjoy the ride back up rather than fight it the whole way.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
UPDATE!
Just hit B+!
Splatoon is broken

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Wait! Back to A-! Maybe not too broken.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
whenever I have a losing streak, I check the after-match results for where I am.
if I'm high, I go out of ranked and play Turf Wars for 5-10 minutes to calm down, before jumping back in ranked.
if I'm lower, I switch it off and browse Squidboards for some advice/tricks. works pretty well.

of course, it also depends on how severe the streak is. if it's only a couple matches, I can deal with it.
if it's a couple ranks, though...I tend to go nuts, and try to smash stuff. not the best way of handling it, i know, but it gets it out of my system at least.

pooplooser

Full Squid
This is a field I tend to struggle with. I'm currently at A+ (4) after dropping from 96. As I've ranked up, I've encountered constant streaks where I'd drop two or three full ranks. I know the smart thing to do is to take a break and cool down, but I wonder if anyone else struggles with what feels (at least to me) like giving up after a losing streak.
I have a very interesting method of dealing with lose streaks. If I lose more than or equal to 8 times in a ROW, I de-rank myself on purpose (aka disc eject method) to somewhere around B-. Then I fight all of the bad players which raises my spirit. (I don't do this often though, because it's very rude to new players)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I actually had to turn off my game in the middle of a match yesterday. I was just playing so poorly I knew sticking with it would be a bad idea. Sometimes I just can't aim or move the right ways, other days I'm actually pretty good. That is the most frustrating part, knowing what to do but not being able to execute. So I turned my game off.

I've also been trying out really hard weapons to use, like the Bamboozler and the Rapid Blaster, so if I lose I can just blame my inexperience with the weapon. When I win, I pat myself on the back. It helps with aiming when I go back to my main weapons too.

pooplooser

Full Squid
I actually had to turn off my game in the middle of a match yesterday. I was just playing so poorly I knew sticking with it would be a bad idea. Sometimes I just can't aim or move the right ways, other days I'm actually pretty good. That is the most frustrating part, knowing what to do but not being able to execute. So I turned my game off.
Is this turf war you speak of? because you're not going to get far with the bamboozler in ranked. Even blasters are more common.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Is this turf war you speak of? because you're not going to get far with the bamboozler in ranked. Even blasters are more common.
Yeah, turf war.

My connection has been too unstable lately for me to feel confident in ranked. Which is another frustration...I wouldn't practice with weapons I'm bad with in ranked either. Losing in ranked affects more than just myself, and I don't want my teammates to suffer because of my incompetence.
But, yeah, I've been stuck in B+ for awhile.

EDIT: I think I just need to work on not dying.

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Yeah, turf war.

My connection has been too unstable lately for me to feel confident in ranked. Which is another frustration...I wouldn't practice with weapons I'm bad with in ranked either. Losing in ranked affects more than just myself, and I don't want my teammates to suffer because of my incompetence.
But, yeah, I've been stuck in B+ for awhile.

EDIT: I think I just need to work on not dying.
If you're looking for a good blaster, use the Luna. That gun's my saving grace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom