• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How do you define a scrub?

GBstep

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GBstep
Before we start, I'd like to apologize if this is the wrong section to post this.

Getting back on topic, I'm intrigued because the term seems to be thrown out here and there. I just want to know how most of the people here define it.

Originally, I know that calling someone a scrub is more of a comment on somebody's state of mind when approaching games rather than a comment on one's skill level. You used to call someone a scrub if they refuse to adapt or make changes to their play style due to a variety of possible preconceived notions, which usually fall into the following categories.

1. They think they're too good at the game and refuse to change.
2. There's a "proper", "fair" way of playing, and people should follow these "rules".
3. They constantly whine about certain tactics and strategies instead of playing and looking for ways to get around them.
4. They blame their teammates for everything.

The term wasn't just limited to newcomers. Even skilled players could be scrubs.

Here, it seems that calling someone a scrub is equated to being a newbie. So how do you guys determine a scrub?

It's not in my intention to start any flame wars and the mods can close this anytime if it reaches that point. I'm just opening this thread out of sheer curiosity.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
This... is actually a really good description of a scrub, in my eyes. I came in here expecting to add something, but I can't find a point to add. Great description in my opinion OP. your list is in my opinion perfect. If I think of something else to add, I will, but good show.

I remember reading a book on the subject that had those points. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
You hit the nail on the head. A new player isn't a scrub if they seriously want to get better and will listen to advice. Scrub-ness is found in someone's attitude, not their skills.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
You nailed it OP. Especially the point where they "blame their teammates all the times". Sheesh, all the points are fantastic.

If I had a nickel for every Mii post blaming their teammates for not being able to hit rank B... /facepalm

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
A roller who charges straight at you and gets splatted 8x in a row, and then later manages to sneak up once and get me from behind, and then seabags me.

I suppose everyone has their own view on what taunts/brags/disrespects mean, but generally I think it's scrubbish behavior.

Makes me so glad Splatoon has no voice chat, it would poison this game so much.

Last edited:

Manta

Senior Squid
A Rainmaker-carrier that tries to use it for kills instead of making a trail to the enemy base
sometimes they have to though, I remember once there was a luna blaster chasing and shooting me while I had the rainmaker, but yet none of my teammates around me dealt with him so I had to do a quick down-y (U-turn) and kill him which ended up with me getting flanked by someone in front of me who had just killed the other two. In cases like that I say blaming your teammates for playing badly is fair.

Jinx129

Senior Squid
NNID
Jinx129
Can I blame my teammates when I fall to my death off a ledge for no apparent reason? Would that make me a scrub?

No really I don't. I blame the opposing team! I generally suck at games but love Splatoon and Smash so much I refuse to give up!

Reactions: mle

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
You pretty much got it. Scrubs are basically the people who annoyingly try to force others to play a certain way or find different play styles unacceptable.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
You pretty much got it. Scrubs are basically the people who annoyingly try to force others to play a certain way or find different play styles unacceptable.
So, these guys are the kind of guys who would call optional, easier modes "***** mode" with no reluctant thought about possibly insulting casual players who just want to have fun? Ugh. I hate those guys, especially if they want said mode gone just because "it's the wrong way to play it", according to them.

NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
I remember reading a book on the subject that had those points. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.
Would David Sirlin's Playing to Win be the book in question?

A scrub-like tendency would likely be blaming everyone else but yourself, especially if you yourself usually contribute the least to matches, whether in Squids Splatted, Turf Inked, or the amount of assistance provided to teammates during Ranked Battles (guarding the Tower or Rainmaker holders, for example).

Another scrub-like tendency would be ignoring Judd's messages from the starting lobby like how he advises going for a different approach if you keep getting Splatted going for a certain approach.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
People who are better than me so I have to insult them in some way. (not being serious)

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Someone who sucks and complains about "OP" things all the time while dieing to dumb things consistenly

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
I pay very close attention when I play my games, so I have an easy time telling when I messed up (which is too often for me to be comfortable) verus my team. Even if my team wasn't good , it's still partially my fault for being unable to carry.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
You nailed it OP. Especially the point where they "blame their teammates all the times". Sheesh, all the points are fantastic.

If I had a nickel for every Mii post blaming their teammates for not being able to hit rank B... /facepalm
And if I had a penny for every post in one of the bloody facebook groups about "oh I get stuck in ___ rank because I keep rolling a horrible team bah why do I even play this game."

Sadly almost everyone AGREES with this mindset in those places. Frankly this is the first community where a large part of it finds whining like that acceptable and not the mark of scrubbery. It's so odd I've been trying to find another game where players get away with saying 'my teammates make me stay in ****ty ranks' and get away without being told to git gud and mocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom