• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Does Splatoon Teach Its Mechanics?

Pronouns
He/Him But Any Is Fine
Switch Friend Code
SW-4725-2886-6488
Hello. I've been thinking of something lately.

Splatoon is a very fun game. There's a lot to do, and there's a lot of depth within its mechanics, but how does the game teach these to the player exactly?

It got me thinking because of this specific tweet right here, where I mythbusted an idea I had that with enough Sub Power Up, you could throw a bomb from one Brinewater snipe to another.

While it was received well, there were also a few people wondering that Sub Power Up increased the throw range the whole time, and while this might be common knowledge to many, the fact that there's still a few people out there wondering what it does in the first place got me questioning how exactly these mechanics are taught to your average Splatoon player, if at all.

I guess I'll start off with what I put down, which is a few player's not knowing what Sub Power Up does, and frankly this could be extended to many of the abilities. I think it's a generally accepted statement that the ability descriptions can either describe the ability in question or just be completely vague in terms of what it does for you. Sub Power Up is one example as it reads "Upgrades your sub weapon." How does it upgrade it? The game certainly doesn't tell you, so you're left to figure that one out for yourself, and you either will go in or do just that or be forced to look through other sources just to find what exactly it does for each sub weapon. The same problem also arises with Special Power Up, which basically has the exact same description of Sub Power Up, but now it's even harder to tell what's going on for each special since rarely are they ever really clear to you. Sure you might notice your bomb going a bit farther, or your tacticooler buff going on for longer, but you're never told, instead being forced to notice subconsciously. Other examples include Haunt, Opening Gambit, and Last Ditch Effort.

The thing is, we did in fact see this issue remedied, and it was with Main Power Up in Splatoon 2. When you checked to see the ability on your gear, Main Power Up would also change its description to reflect the main weapon you had equipped. This is such a nice thing to have since now you can decide whether the effect is worth it or not and choose if running something else is worth it instead of trial and erroring your way to a conclusion. To be frank, a lot of people aren't gonna notice a lot of these effects unless told upfront, and with a diverse system as gear, this kind of information is important to how you wanna customize your clothing for a weapon, for practicality in a general use, or even just a fashion statement like perfect/pure gear. Overall though, descriptions really do need to be updated to reflect their changes depending on what you're using, or even just explaining the thing fully, like Haunt giving Respawn Punisher on the haunted player if you splat them, Opening Gambit specifically having Run Speed, Swim Speed, Ink Resistance, and Intensify Action in addition to extending the timer by 15 seconds every kill or assist, and Last Ditch Effort giving 6 subs of Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, and Ink Recovery Up when its parameters are met.

But gear is one thing. What about the weapons you play, which are the bread and butter of the game? Well for that we have our good buddy Sheldon to tell us what they are and what they're intended to do. Unfortunately, for the guy who's nerdy about weapons, his statements can be, inaccurate to say the least. Let's use the Goo Tuber description for example, not to highlight the inaccurate part but because it's comedic.

"I debuted this weapon before, but I'm as proud as ever of the Goo Tuber, a charger with the upgraded ability to store your charge even longer! It offers high-pressure ink storage for extended periods, allowing you to stay submerged while you wait for the perfect shot! In exchange, it takes a bit longer to charge, but this baby can store a partial charge, giving you the ultimate in flexibility. For instance, while you use a Torpedo to reveal enemy positions, you can be comfortably charging away in a safe spot. Then, when you're ready to ink 'em up, zip to the most advantageous spot and snipe away! If you miss, you have Tenta Missiles in your back pocket to finish the job. If you want to take your strategy to the next level by storing charges and taking advantage of each stage's unique terrain with your mobility, this set is for you!"

My guy has clearly not seen early Splatoon 3 map design.

While this description is fine for the most part, it doesn't really go any deeper than the main gimmick. Heck it doesn't even mention that this is the only charger capable of splatting without a full charge. Same thing with the Squiffer. Relatively okay description, but it never mentions how it can charge full speed in midair. Worst offender is the Jet Squelcher because Sheldon doesn't even finish the full thing in game; he just talks about Line Marker and that's it. Nothing about Ink Vac or what the kit is "intended" for.

"The Jet Squelcher has boosted pump pressure to give it a range that rivals charger weapons! Like other weapons with extreme range, it doesn't offer much in the way of power. But when combined with the Angle Shooter sub, your enemies won't know what hit 'em."

Thankfully Inkipedia allows us to see the entire thing.

"Because you'll be SO far away! Add the Ink Vac to the mix to suck up incoming offensives, and you have a loadout that's perfect for cool, calculating players who play it safe."

Even I'm learning something new typing this up. I'm not exactly sure about the playing it safe part considering Ink Vac has a lot of risks but I'd argue that the Jet Squelcher would benefit more from going in due to both of its subs encouraging it, and leaving the playing it safe part to the Custom kit.

So, thinking about it, Splatoon probably just wants to be a little lighthearted with Sheldon's descriptions, and wants you to use the weapons themselves to figure them out and learn all the ins and outs about them, which leads to a very flawed thing, which is the stats.

You know how when you look at a weapon it'll probably have Range, Damage, Fire Rate, Impact, Ink Speed, Handling, Charge Speed, Mobility, all that jazz? While in theory it probably makes sense to have all of this, but in practice it tells you nothing outside of "longer bar means better... something." You don't even get the numbers just the bar itself, making it useless without any real analytics to look through. Even with those numbers, you're still left scratching your head as to what exactly Impact, Handling, and Mobility even mean. Maybe Impact could mean how big the blast radius of a blaster is. Maybe Handling means how fast you can turn with your roller without needing to slow down and speed back up again. Maybe Mobility means how fast you can move while charging a shot. All of these assumptions sure, but the fact you even need to make these in the first place is very dumb and dare I say, badly designed. A lot of the mechanics being told in weapons and gear kinda seem to be "throw yourself in the deep end maybe you'll find out." A lot of this kinda fails to inform the player of exactly what they're doing and what something does.

So if we strip all of that away, we're left with the player. Us. What does Splatoon try to do to teach us how to move? Well, in my opinion I think this is the one place where I think Splatoon actually does a good job. It instills the player with the basic knowledge of tilting your stick to move, pressing ZL to enter swim form, and of course, firing your gun. I think even with just the tutorial itself that you get for picking your avatar for the first time is great in subconsciously instilling the player that their movement is their biggest strength. The idea of painting the floor to make it your turf silently tells you that you can move as far as said turf goes, and that turf will always be yours to control so long as it's painted. You have control over that paint because you can walk on it. You have control over that paint because you can swim on it. You can squid roll and squid surge to control what your enemy does because you have that freedom over that turf. You live and die by what you paint, and that is something I think many people don't actively realize; but you don't have to, because it comes so naturally to the player. It's almost freeform in a way. Your paint decides how you play, because it represents what you control and how far you're able to influence said control at any moment.

Honing back to Squid Rolling, this move that we used to think we'd only use sometimes and would be whatever has become something we take for granted. It's something many players just naturally do because it flows so well into the game. You don't just use it to move around; you use it as a mix up, a parry, an escape option if need be, even a denial to bombs and splash damage. This form of movement, despite its armor, feels fair because anyone can do it, and it spices up the game in a way that it feels as such, and just natural, like this was something that was always here. While I unfortunately can't say the same for Squid Surging, I think that's only because the maps don't account for its existence (though I think it'd genuinely help if Surge could be charged a bit faster maybe then it'll see reason to be used for something that launches you into a vulnerable state). Even the act of simply recovering ink is a natural thing because you can fill it while you move. This alone can also teach the player that they move slower but can fight as a kid, but move faster and cannot fight back as a squid, and that balancing when to move, when to shoot, when to swim, and whatnot is key to how good one can become at the game.

Movement is the name of the game in Splatoon, and I don't think that we'd see this game the same if it didn't have a system so lucrative, so complicated, and yet so simple all tied up in a neat package.

So, after all of this, what are my conclusions? Well, I'd say for the most part Splatoon does a pretty good job teaching a player the mechanics of the game and how to get it done, but it begins to falter once it attempts to explain something complicated, either defaulting to faulty explanations by Sheldon or giving descriptions so vague that it leaves people questioning what it does and either forces them to figure it out themselves or look it up, which isn't very good. That being said though, these are problems with very simple solutions, one solution even already being done in the form of Main Power Up. What might be a Wahoo World timer moment for many might just be mind-blowing information to some, and if someone is only now learning something, we should at least educate them and even show more of it rather than putting the funny haha clock in their face. It'd be more kind, respectful, and overall informative, because those who question something will only be a fool for 5 minutes, instead of remaining a fool forever.

So that's what I've been thinking about today. I'll see you guys again sometime soon.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I really enjoyed reading your detailed thoughts on how Nintendo, specifically the Splatoon devs, decide to explain the games mechanics to the player. I certainly had a hard time understanding the more specific parts of Splatoon 3 like gear abilities as this was my first time getting into the series and the game did not get into a lot of detail about these things. I think the lack of detailed explanations and just letting players figure it out on their own, usually by having to look through sources made by fans, is an issue with a lot of Nintendo games.

SSBU has the best training mode in the Smash series but compared to what other fighting games do for their training modes, Ultimate's is extremely basic and doesn't do enough to help players practice and learn info about their character or mechanics of the game. In both cases I've had to go out of my way to take notes on specific things that the game wouldn't explain to me normally, checking frame data for character moves or how much of a specific gear ability did for my weapon. It's actually something I enjoy doing, even if I found out later that there were resources made by the community that basically made all those notes pointless (lmao) but not everyone enjoys having to go out of their way to simply understand the specifics of a game mechanic that the game itself should already have explained.

I really hope this isn't the direction they stick to as Nintendo can be really stubborn in their approach to games, for better or worse. They really focus on keeping things easier for casual players in their more competitive games and I think by not letting these players have easy access to detailed explanations for mechanics in-game, they're only making it harder for that casual player base to deal with any strong options/players. They need to go beyond just teaching basic movement and mechanics, which they do great at but shouldn't be where they stop.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

They kind of already have things that are designed to teach players, they are just in the single-player modes throughout the series. They specifically designed many enemies to mimic whatever you might encounter in multiplayer. For instance, three of the Jelloton types mimic the three common Salmonids you face during Salmon Run, the Octohopper is literally a jumping Slosher in enemy form, this is even true for the first-ever single-player mode of the series Octo Valley where the Octostriker is the stand-in for the Inkstrike. There are many more examples of enemy-types that mimic typical player stuff like the Tentakook leaving a Splat Bomb in its spot much like how it's common for players to do that as well.

I could go on with how many enemies of the series are made to mimic players in a way, which is how they teach you stuff for multiplayer.

Pronouns
He/Him But Any Is Fine
Switch Friend Code
SW-4725-2886-6488
They kind of already have things that are designed to teach players, they are just in the single-player modes throughout the series. They specifically designed many enemies to mimic whatever you might encounter in multiplayer. For instance, three of the Jelloton types mimic the three common Salmonids you face during Salmon Run, the Octohopper is literally a jumping Slosher in enemy form, this is even true for the first-ever single-player mode of the series Octo Valley where the Octostriker is the stand-in for the Inkstrike. There are many more examples of enemy-types that mimic typical player stuff like the Tentakook leaving a Splat Bomb in its spot much like how it's common for players to do that as well.

I could go on with how many enemies of the series are made to mimic players in a way, which is how they teach you stuff for multiplayer.
Would absolutely love to see a breakdown of this. I unfortunately didn't get into singleplayer mostly because I couldn't really think of anything it did that you would also find in multiplayer but I do realize that I kinda missed a bit in terms of it.

(Also Jellotons having hops despite not having any limbs that would point to them logically being able to gain air is still silly.)

Yosi Spring

Pro Squid
Nintendo really likes the "let the player mess around and learn stuff through gameplay approach". Honestly I think they could make it work in a Splatoon game, but they'd need to redesign a lot of things. For example, if you didn't have to grind ability chunks to test out abilities, it would be way easier to figure out what abilities do. Or if gave a better indication of how much special gauge you lost after getting splatted, then special saver / haunt / respawn punisher would make more sense.

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
i was genuinely shocked when i heard about haunt basically giving you the effects of respawn punisher without the downsides... why do they never tell you this in game...

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
yippee i have time to make my full reply
also i did not think someone could not only write more than me about a specific thing in this game but also actually make it coherent and really nice to read (my writing sucks) so amazing job!!!

anyway the way that they make thing vague is almost certainly done on purpose, so that the player can experiment on their own with a little bit of guidance from what the game initially tells them. this is actually a really good way for it to work, otherwise we get tutorials for EVERY MAIN SUB AND SPECIAL and that would be really tedious not only to do each one but also for the devs to make like 60+ tutorials. that's what youtubers are for. in some cases, the game definitely does not explain enough for us to have a good idea what it is and sometimes the way it works makes it hard to test. that mainly goes for abilities, like haunt, LDE, and even quick respawn which isn't that complicated but you can't test the actual effects without dying a ton in an actual match. there is even a robot in the lobby that can shoot and kill you... why do they do this to us.. at least our lord and savior sendou splatoon fixed all of that for us though.

also the stats bars are actually designed well, which might be a hot take. you have no idea what some of the stats even mean, you have no idea what how much the bars are filled up even mean, there are only 3 stats on every weapon, yeah it leaves us pretty confused and i think that's a good thing. it gets the player to instantly start thinking about the weapon and how it might play, which will make testing it out on their own more interesting because it makes them feel like they do it all on their own when really the game is perfectly placing the stepping stones to go ahead and try out the cool stuff it has to show them. this is also why i think a tutorial for every weapon would be really bad. this kind of logic for teaching the player is really cool and pretty smart, but, it does not work in all cases as we can see with how not a lot of people know how some abilities really work.

they mostly do a good job with what they want the player to start off knowing, but after that they kind of throw you out into the wild to apply your knowledge in real matches and that is also a great reason why they start you off at turf war, they need you to take time to realize that this game actually has some complexities, and also learning to aim especially if you are learning gyro along with other general beginner things.

so yeah, they have a really good method for teaching the player things but it doesn't work all the time, which they probably realize so they make up for that in other ways like making you play turf until level 10.

incoming yapping and maybe quite possibly a bunch of rambling (unrelated to overall message to your post and this one)
also i actually think squid rolls are kind of under tuned. the parry puts you in a very disadvantageous state. if someone throws a bomb at you, it's likely that you could have just moved out the way instead of trying to time the parry, and if you wouldn't have been able to move out of the way, you probably made a mistake on your positioning or movement and that's the only way to save yourself. it is actually especially bad during combat because you get weakened, can't shoot and have the parry active which means you are letting yourself get shot at without firing back putting you at a very clear disadvantage in the fight, some weapons just hit through the armor anyway, and latency usually makes it less reliable, and you are really noticeable when squid rolling. the best use case it had was parrying vacuum shots and reefsliders which was still really niche but at least it was cool, and it was patched out. now the best use case is to squid roll while retreating and you might block some damage, but that is pretty lame. but, if the parry part was made better it probably shouldn't be able to parry those specials anymore. the movement part of squid rolls does feel pretty good though, besides the 1 problem the game has with the movement which is your momentum dies so quick when you are in the air (just imagine how cool it would be if all momentum was kept in the air though), which is probably the reason why sub strafing is still faster. i still use it all the time for clearing some gaps and on slopes, and sometimes if my brain is too mush to be thinking about sub strafing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom