• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Effective Will the Kraken be?

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
Kraken is very good. I currently run Krak-on roller, focusing on gear with high defense and special refill. High attack equipment is a joke for this set, so avoid that.

Burruni

Inkling
Kraken is very good. I currently run Krak-on roller, focusing on gear with high defense and special refill. High attack equipment is a joke for this set, so avoid that.
Run speed + Gear for your roller.
Swim speed + Gear for kraken mode.

They can run

But they can't hide.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Kraken is actually disgusting but I prefer Bubble just because it lasts longer. You can kite a Kraken anyway so only thing he can do very effectively is reclaim turf.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
Popping in again, made good use of the Kraken today. I think it's ideal for forcing past enemies (who likely won't follow you) to drop a beacon on their side of the map. Other Krak-On players don't drop beacons nearly enough, they could turn the tide in some bad fights but nobody seems to remember they exist.

Burruni

Inkling
Popping in again, made good use of the Kraken today. I think it's ideal for forcing past enemies (who likely won't follow you) to drop a beacon on their side of the map. Other Krak-On players don't drop beacons nearly enough, they could turn the tide in some bad fights but nobody seems to remember they exist.
I legitmately went ~5 hours with the Krak-on without remembering that it even had a sub weapon. I now try to tuck it away in places where people won't see it when running by.... because too few people check the gamepad were they're shown on the map.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
The kraken is scary for sure, even if you see it coming,running aways from that is tough.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
It's been pretty effective against me so far, not so much when they're approaching me as the kraken, but there's been numerous time's it's been activated while I was shooting at them, saving them at the last second and since I'm firing still before I realise they're a Kraken they have a chance to swim towards me.

That being said I don't think it breaks the bubbler shield? One of my favourite moments from my first few games was activating the bubbler as a kraken approached me, and then killing them after their special wore off.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Nothing breaks the bubble unless you count the pushback and the kraken is just flat out completely invulnerable.

That being said the krak roller is one of the best teamplay weapons right now, especially on mall I've noticed for whatever reason. Essentially the kraken doesn't cover much space on its own, but it can potentially wipe out nearly the entire team or force them to retreat when used correctly, leaving their teammates to cover up the ground now that they suddenly have a huge spacing advantage, generally at the B point of the map.

protip: don't chase after people into their spawn turf thinking you can catch them because if they're smart you probably can't and you will probably just get punished after becoming a kid again. just work on shutting down a specific part of the map

also: this thing disgusts me

TimpaniGamer

Full Squid
NNID
TimpaniGamer
In terms of laying ink down, it isn't very useful, since it's fairly short and leaves a pretty thin trail of ink. It's definitely more suited for clearing a few foes to open a new zone for your teammates, or getting out of a sticky situation. You have to be careful about chasing foes though, because I've gotten stuck as a kid in enemy ink quite a few times due to really wanting to splat someone.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
its the same speed as any default squid tough, so you can retreat safely
That's not necessarily true. If you press 'X' to jump it will bullet towards the enemy's faster than they can swim. Of course this may also be due to delays on turning corners or obstacles but I have never had anyone escape it unless they had backup. That said a lot of people only press 'X' when they are close not to advance faster so I've gotten away from Kraken's when they dont use the attack mode to advance on you.

Kraken is hands down the best special weapon imo, other than ink strike. Gotten me out of plenty close calls and deep into enemy territory. I even killed 3 people in row near a spawn point. Its not a special weapon you use right away, I don't use it unless an enemy is near me.

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
That's not necessarily true. If you press 'X' to jump it will bullet towards the enemy's faster than they can swim. Of course this may also be due to delays on turning corners or obstacles but I have never had anyone escape it unless they had backup. That said a lot of people only press 'X' when they are close not to advance faster so I've gotten away from Kraken's when they dont use the attack mode to advance on you.

Kraken is hands down the best special weapon imo, other than ink strike. Gotten me out of plenty close calls and deep into enemy territory. I even killed 3 people in row near a spawn point. Its not a special weapon you use right away, I don't use it unless an enemy is near me.

:3 I escaped a kraken that was out for my ink. I had the disabler debuff on me, so I was really slow. I mainly jumped back and forth between tiny ink puddles I had left on Salt Spray Rig, In the are with the T divider before you get to the very top. I was hoping near and on/off the ledge of death . :D then it ran out, and the roller died . I was very proud of my self. My lower movement speed actually gave me much better cornering so I could out maneuver him. It was really tense, I thought he was gonna get me for sure.

I find inkzooka is really good if you can get your enemies pushed up to base. You can lock them in. But it's meh. Ink Striker to me is the best.

<.< nothing is better than it being the last 3 seconds ... and your teammate knocks you off of the edge right before you could even use it.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
:3 I escaped a kraken that was out for my ink. I had the disabler debuff on me, so I was really slow. I mainly jumped back and forth between tiny ink puddles I had left on Salt Spray Rig, In the are with the T divider before you get to the very top. I was hoping near and on/off the ledge of death . :D then it ran out, and the roller died . I was very proud of my self. My lower movement speed actually gave me much better cornering so I could out maneuver him. It was really tense, I thought he was gonna get me for sure.

I find inkzooka is really good if you can get your enemies pushed up to base. You can lock them in. But it's meh. Ink Striker to me is the best.

<.< nothing is better than it being the last 3 seconds ... and your teammate knocks you off of the edge right before you could even use it.
Lucky! Yes I think a lot of users barrel through using the kraken. Bu that is pretty sweet. I love escaping situations you think you are dead for sure in. Ink striker is second best to me I do love it. Inkzooka is deadly too if you can aim, it was wasted on me unfortunately but ive been killed by it plenty.

Freduardo

Inkling
NNID
Freduard
It's brilliant for escaping. Paint a bunch of areas, realize you've gone too far into their base and now someone's about to outrange you, turn into a kraken, run them down, and go to a new defensible area. Repeat.

holowknite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
holowknite
How effective will the Kraken special ability be? It can be very useful for charging into the enemy base, and apparently breaks the Bubbler shield. What do you guys think about it?
Kraken doesn't break bubbler shield as a default splatershot jr main i have saved my self against kraken many times by using the bubble and easily killed the user.

WiiDude83

Inkling
I haven't found a use for it in turf war that another special can't handle. But I have found it rather helpful in splat zone switching from a high up platform to dealing with opponents below and cleaning out the zone for my team

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom