• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How important are gear abilities to YOU? Do you prefer fashion or abilities?

Fashion or abilities?

• Total voters

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
When it comes to ability, I keep in mind both fashion and abilities. Fashion plays a big part so I probably wouldn't wear anything that I didn't like the look of. It doesn't matter what it's abilities are. If I don't like it, I won't wear it. I could probably find those abilities on a different set of gear anyway or just keep rerolling for what I want. I mean, I have triple Ink Saver (Main) on my Black Inky Rider so it's not impossible. Just takes a lot of time and patience. :P

So yeah. I like to focus on both but often care more about fashion most times.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I don't personally think gear is worth wearing if the abilities are terrible, not if you're playing Ranked anyway. But I do frankly wish there were more customization options for the style and look of certain gear...keeping my Inkling fresh would be nice, especially since this is overall a very style-heavy game. I try to go in the general direction of choosing the most passable style of gear with the abilities I want, but I've never prioritized fashion over function. Looking good is nice, but I'd rather up my game if I'm playing competitively. But to each their own. :P

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Abilities can be very important. With tenacity, 2 special charge mains, 3 special saver subs, and 6 ink recovery subs, I'm usually able to charge my echolocator on my dual squelcher about 3-4 times in turf wars, and about 5-7 times in a ranked game, so I can constantly track the enemy location

sammich

Inkling Cadet
about 60/40 towards fashion.

basically, it has to look nice, and it has to have at least the main ability be useful to my weapon. that being said, the subs don't matter AS MUCH to me where i definitely won't wear boring ****.

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
I usually go for a set that looks good to me but has abilities that I like. Right now I have the Hair Clip, Part-time Pirate shirt, and the Neon Sea Slugs. I usually have outfits with abilities I like picked out just in case I change weapons. But I really don't like wearing ugly gear cuz I just don't wanna look at it lmao

Shuggi

Senior Squid
NNID
Splatshuggi
The skate helmet with special saver and quick respawn is quite nice I think, and doesn't look too bad, and the bike helmet with quick respawn and ink recovery is also nice, though looks horrible.
Yeah, ink recovery up is great, but to wear that horrible thing? I'll stick to the white headband.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
The never ending struggle to look good while having useful abilities. Seriously, who's the wise guy that gave the armour helmet replica Tenacity? What kind cruel joke is this?

I tend to devote a fair bit of downtime to planning outfits that have all the abilities I need and don't look terrible, but by in large the abilities are the focus; there's only one thing that looks worse than that helmet, and that's being on the losing team.

One of my more common setups is the Varsity Jacket and Red Hi-Tops with some kind of conservative headgear like glasses or the squid hairclip. -in part because a lot of my preferred weapons make good use of damage up, ink resistance, and swim speed, but also because I own a pair of red Converse low-tops and an identical red varsity jacket in real life (minus the patches). Good ol' engineering jacket, the poor thing has seen better days.

dubious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
hyomin
Both, moreso specifically finding good looking gear with the mains I want (and hoping getting the subs I want isn't a pain).

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
I try to combine both. My biggest struggle is with shoes, because most of them look so ugly.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A mix of both to me. While I give fashion a lot of importance, I feel like I need to almost always have certain abilities, like Ink Resistance Up. Unless I am playing with a campy weapon (long range chargers), I like to always have it, mostly because I tend to play a bit too aggro and I am frequently over the opponent's ink. Ninja Squid was a must to me until one week ago, when I finally retired my Zekko Hoodie, swapping it with a Zapfish Satin Jacket. Anyways, unfortunately the Ink Resistance Up ability is only on three (four, maybe?) shoes and only one of them doesn't look bad (to me), which is Red Hi-Tops... I think it is a shame and a bit weird for an extremely useful ability like that to be this rare.

I really do wish abilities weren't set to gears, so folks would have more freedom of choice for the fashion aspect of their Inklings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom