How neat are you?

How

• All of the ground!

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Just enough to get me to the front lines.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Covering all of the enemy ink, uncontested ground is a bonus.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • The ground, the walls, the ceiling oh and that bird too!

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Do you just have to have to fill in that tiny corner?
Or perhaps you don't care what you cover as long as you keep moving forward?
I personally struggled to find a balance between trying to 100% cover everything right from the get go and actually making progress into the map. I found once I got into a conflicted territory though, most of that went out the window and I focused on survival.

Interested to see what people are like. I appreciate this changes as the matches evolve though.

Edit: I derped on the poll haha. it was meant to say "How much ground do you cover?" or something to that effect.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I try to get areas out of the way and any uncovered floor, while also trying to cover as much of the enemy's ink as possible. Neatness I've got no idea, just mostly neat I guess but I do leave patches sometimes.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
First I just focus on getting to the big areas before the enemy does. After that, cover the ground you've just secured for your team and work from there.

One does need to keep diminishing returns in mind, though. If an area is already mostly saturated, then I guess you could go for the extra half a percent. You could also just go to the next area where there's a lot more stuff to paint in less time.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I played a lot of roller so I focus on horizontal and not vertical. Vertical doesn't count towards your score or objective anyways so.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I'M PRETTY NEAT *shot*

I found myself aiming to cover as much ground as possible, but not really caring about the smallest parts. If I passed by again later I would shoot in the general area to cover small bits though.

I would however always go for the corners. those have to add up.

dustmyte

Full Squid
NNID
dustmyte
I tend to be an aggressive player, I would lay down ink to get to the main area as quick as possible and let the rollers on my team handle coverage... when I needed to get my special back I'd start painting over any enemy ink I could find.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I use the Charger so... it's mainly making kills and straight lines.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
It seems kind of a waste of effort to make sure all the tiny corners and random dry patches are covered, when you could claim more turf more quickly in an area that's largely unclaimed or currently owned by enemies. If you could spend 20 seconds claiming 0.2% of the map, or 20 seconds claiming 5% by aiming for covering more areas instead of trying to fill in tiny little holes...

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
I just work on covering any big areas that are uncovered and any enemy territory. Don't really go out of my way to get smaller areas.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
*Smells myself* Honestly I'm pretty dirty right now. I should take a shower XD

In all seriousness, I like to cover all the ground I come across. Every point matters after all.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
My usual obsessive nature doesn't actually take effect in Splatoon. I just charge forward, even with a few gaps here and there.

Ellocus

Senior Squid
NNID
rebellocus
Seems most people are focused on the competition with the enemy. Good to see some are as obsessed with the little bits as I am!

I feel like the perfectionism of filling in all of the gaps is important in places which the enemy can't or won't be able to access, like the start of Saltspray, since they are essentially "free" points. However if they cost you a good foothold in the contested areas they aren't worth it. I found myself not jumping back to people all the time, in order to fill in little bits as I made my way back to the action.

I also thought of this because I have seen a lot of videos of people covering enemy territory, but missing little bits here and there, but later getting stuck walking through them, which makes you an easier target.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
It's funny. Generally I'm more of a cover the enemie's ink kind of guy. I think that's more effective for winning in general. But put a roller in my hands and I suddenly turn into a that perfectionist in kindergarten, meticulously coloring in the lines, filling every spot with color.

db132

Full Squid
I played a lot of "neat" during the demo event though now I think its better to just push up as much as you can to cut off the opposing advance since having to remove your team's ink will slow them down in most scenarios

michael

Inkling
I found myself inking all of the walls whenever I saw them. Nobody really looks too into the walls and stuff so it's basically free turf. That was how my experiences went at least.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I found myself inking all of the walls whenever I saw them. Nobody really looks too into the walls and stuff so it's basically free turf. That was how my experiences went at least.
FYI, walls don't count towards your final score. It's all about the floors. Painting walls is a good idea to add some mobility to your game, but hardly a first priority.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I could see my OCD acting up when I play, not being able to leave if I miss a little corner. I can only imagine how many times I'm going to die while trying to get it perfect. Oh well, priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom