How similar is the roller play style to the Ink/Octobrush play style?

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
Okay, so I'm asking this because as we all know each one of us has their own preferred weapon(s) based on how we like to play Splatoon.

I am quite an aggressive player and while I do use certain long-range weapons such as the Pro and 96 Gal Deco my main weapon is definitely the Krak-On Roller (occasionally I also use the Hero). This is due to the fact that I find that the style of play required for the Roller comes so easily to me. I'm now wondering if my skills with the Roller can be transferred over to use an Ink/Octobrush? I have already looked at some guides on these weapons but so far I haven't had much luck implementing the concepts stated there into my gameplay with the Octobrush (I had a few games in Turf War with it).

I'm just wondering if you brush users out there can give me any insight on how similar the Roller and brush playstyle is and whether or not it is reasonable to believe that I will be able to use the Brush competitively by transferring some of my Roller skills onto it?

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
Your skills with a roller might transfer over a little bit, but Inkbrushes are basically completely different weapons as they play a lot differently.

I've started to main the Octobrush Nuveau and I'll be honest, those video guides aren't amazingly useful. My advice to you would be to keep practicing and eventually something will just click in your brain and you'll start knowing how to use this weapon type! It's as simple as that really!

I know you said you are an aggressive player but Inkbrushes are support weapons. Try to be less aggressive and focus on covering the middle ground (and any key areas) with your ink in ranked mode. I know it's not the objective for the game modes in ranked but having map control is detrimental to winning matches.

Try waiting until Splatzones comes up in the rotation because that's the game mode that Inkbrushes excel in, so it's a good place for you to start learning :).

Good luck out there!

Last edited:

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
I started using the Octobrush and the Inkbrush about 2 months ago, and I would say that Rollers and Brushes do not line up at all.
With Rollers, you have a better sabotage / direct attack skill as rollers one shot with one ink flick.
To use brushes, you have to use more of an idea of where your opponents are and where you need to be.
I, personally, like to jump around people while attacking them to get a guaranteed splat. But, that's just me.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Very similar to octobrush playstyle, and not so similar to inkbrush playstyle. Octobrush has tons of killing power so it basically plays like a roller, but the inkbrush does not so it has a more supportive playstyle.

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
Interesting, thanks for the info guys. I just assumed that because the brushes are still in the roller class that they would have a similar play style to the rollers but guess not. I'm glad I posted this thread, cleared up a lot of misconceptions.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
They are different in practice, however, I use very similar gear to bring out the best in them. The original Octobrush and Krakon having the exact same sub and special make them feel similar enough. Using the beakons is VERY important on those weapons. Not that your teammates will always use them unfortunately.

This is my main clothing set for both.

Swim speed is vital on both of them. Strength up is not necessary, but it will help get kills much quicker, with the brush especially. Having ink recovery, or saver main on the Octobrush is also nice. The swim speed is the most important as it will help you approach and confound enemies.

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
After I discovered flick-bombing online, I started maining the Carbon Roller. This kept me securely in S (I had been there before this discovery). However, I couldn't do anything in S and felt like I wasn't growing as a player with the weapon.

Then I discovered the Octobrush Nouveau with 2 Damage Up mains...which lets you kill in two flicks. This gives you a great TTK comparable to a Roller, and the Brushes are more mobile I think and better able to escape trouble. They're also better at covering turf quickly, in my opinion.

High-level Octobrush play got me into S+ (even though I'm not there now) and that weapon is by far my best. The only thing I've ever gotten a quad in S+ solo ranked with.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Generally speaking:

Unlike the rollers you can't really go in-your-face aggressive with the brushes. I think if you plan to be aggressive with any brush you don't always have to be sneaky, but you do need to be able to out-play and counter your opponents.

Float like your jump button and sting like a jellyfish. Instead of attack head-on, even when you ambush, attack from the side, behind, above, or even below. Use the mobility of your brush to reposition if you must.

Both brushes have a sweet spot to them that grants you two hits (the bristles and a glob of ink) with a single swing. Knowing your range to get the sweet spot the Octobrushes can splat within two swings. Damage ups on the Inkbrushes meanwhile are nigh useless.

Are you leaning more towards the Octobrushes, which is the more aggressive brush, or the Inkbrushes?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I would suggest rummaging through the Rollers & Brushes section of the Weapons and Gear area. Threads such as Is an Octobrush Offensive or Defensive can prove fruitful in ideas you can try and ultimately figuring out your own personal style. And treat the upcoming Spaltfest as an extended lab session. Sure it's Turf War, but some players can be down right vicious when the festival rolls around.

A few items from my own experiences:
  • Octobrushes are ink hungry. Don't wildly swing ink about like an Inkbrush. Swing conservatively.
  • Learn to splat dash/splat jump with an Octobrush. (Jump) Swing, swim, repeat to travel quickly and conserve ink.
  • Learn to swim quickly slowly. (Yes, that's right.) Tap the joystick or tilt it lightly to swim with as little wake as possible. Nullifies need for Ninja Squid while Swim Speed Up will make this movement faster.
  • Don't be hesitant to turn a teammate's 1v1 into a 2v1 if the situation looks advantageous.
  • Being aggressively offensive requires movement and movement requires turf. Trust in your teammates (hahahaha~) to make as much turf as they can, where they can, however they can and use it to benefit you.
  • Be able to read the map quickly and effectively. Not only to know where anyone is, but to know if you're being followed.
  • Try not to take other brushes too lightly. Even the Inkbrush slinging ink around like a buffoon. (But if they sadly turn out to be a buffoon, all bets are off.)
  • Have fun! It's boring trying to stalk the other team's ace or outsmart a charger if you're not enjoying yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom