• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Resource icon

How to Blast

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
ThatOneGuy submitted a new guide:

How to Blast - For those wanting to learn how to blast, be it newbie or veteran.

Hello everyone, I'm here to help out you new squiddos and even some veterans out there on how to use my all-time main, Blasters. Yes Blasters, probably my favorite weapon type for two years now. I've been playing blasters in S+ in Splatoon 1 and 2, and I enjoy playing the weapon type in solo and in competitive settings.

DISCLAIMER: *This guide will be dealing with standard blasters (blasters that one shot), so the Rapid Blaster and Clash Blaster will not be...​
Read more about this guide...

RedInkSprayer

Inkling
Thank you for this guide. Along with the playstyle tips, do you have any gear ability recommendations for the custom blaster? I'm thinking special charge, ink resist, run and swim speed, and ink saver main and sub. What's your opinion?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Thank you for this guide. Along with the playstyle tips, do you have any gear ability recommendations for the custom blaster? I'm thinking special charge, ink resist, run and swim speed, and ink saver main and sub. What's your opinion?
Those are all pretty good options. I'd personally use special saver + special power up to get the most out of your inkjet. The one perk that you should get rid of is run speed, it's useless on the blaster class unless you're a clash blaster. However, if you're putting that many perks on, you should try and focus on just a couple to make your build more specialized.

If I was using the custom blaster, I'd probably go for a build like the one below. Comeback + Special saver to get inkjet more consistently. Swim speed up for strafing. Ink resistance can help this weapon out a bit when if it get stuck, or you're diving in and out of ink. Special power up allows you to get more indirect damage out of inkjet. The subs of ink recovery are your choice, but they can help you refill as you go from fight to fight. Lastly, you have one sub of bomb defense to make inkjets 3 hit ko you which is nice since your weapon is great at handling inkjet users.

This is just a suggestion, but it's a good gear setup if you want to get started. Other good options are drop roller (since you roll when you're done with inkjet), you could run more sub saver & ink recovery for autobomb spam, even quick respawn could work on this weapon if you play super aggressive and you don't get any kills off.

Hope this helps

Attachments

awedry

Full Squid
Dear ThatOneGuy,

Thank you for a great guide to blasters! I stumbled upon it in the forums and I've learned a lot about strategies as I am fairly inexperienced with blasters (I usually play splatlings).

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Grim Range Blaster in Splatoon 2 that came out with Sheldon's Picks back in April. I've been playing the weapon (mostly casually) and am starting to favor it in Tower Control, and have done well with it in Clam Blitz. My experience has been that the chip damage the Grim creates - from the main weapon, the Burst Bombs, and the Missiles - makes it almost too easy to get splats, especially when players cluster together in fairly predictable ways as they do in those modes. Not that I'm complaining! It's especially great if I'm fortunate enough to have a teammate contributing to the chip damage with Rain or something. I'm still pretty inconsistent and need to practice aiming with the main weapon, but have enjoyed some very satisfying directs. I also find that the Burst Bombs are helpful for surviving otherwise unwinnable situations where a Range Blaster would otherwise get stuck in enemy ink for an eternity.

Here is the build I've been using, if you're curious. I'm focusing on ink efficiency and mobility, this setup gives 12 shots from full ink, or 3 shots after two bombs. The swim speed and ink resistance help survivability, and with spacing. I've heard that Comeback is good for blasters but I'd rather have the permanent boosts for main/sub saver and swim speed - I'm not too reliant on the Missiles with how good the main and sub weapons work together.
Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 05.36.39 PM.jpg

Thanks in advance if you have any thoughts/advice!

~A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom