• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How to survive krakens?

Disaster Master

Inkling
NNID
wofl177
Lately a lot of people have been using weapons with the kraken and 3 special charge up mains. Krakens are everywhere and I die all the time. How do I deal with them? There isn't always room to run away. I keep reading that shooting them pushes them back but it never works, even though I'm using the fastest firing weapons in the game.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Here's some things I do:

1. Man up and try to repel them back by shooting them while moving backwards.
2. Run away, and if possible, lead them to a floor gate where they'll fall through.
3. Have a weapon with a Bubbler or a Kraken.
4. Should you use a Kraken, wait for the other person to activate theirs, and then transform. Chase them down if you can because the other Kraken's time will run out before yours.
5. Have Ninja Squid for an easy getaway.
6. If you happen to see one nearby, remain calm, stay where you are, and hide in your ink. Just let them pass.
7. If you're being chased by one, try moving in circles since they'll follow you anyway. They'll be left open for a kill when they're done.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Lately a lot of people have been using weapons with the kraken and 3 special charge up mains. Krakens are everywhere and I die all the time. How do I deal with them? There isn't always room to run away. I keep reading that shooting them pushes them back but it never works, even though I'm using the fastest firing weapons in the game.
Your best option is to run since you'll always be faster than the Kraken (unless you have Ninja Squid without and Swim Speed Up abilities or if the Kraken is smart and corners you). About the the grate thing that Chaos Knight mentioned, don't do it on Flounder Heights since some Krakens will hop and just miss clear the grate, but it can still jump and kill you from the wall. It's happened to me so many times... Other than that, Chaos Knight nailed your options. So I guess that makes this post kinda pointless. XD

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Too add, Splash Walls can also block em, and if there's enough distance you can super jump back to spawn. In general you'll want to pay attention for their glowing hair and either kill em before they can use it, bait it while you're in a good position to avoid it, or just stay away from em altogether.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Walk on to grating... spray them and walk backwards... or just swim away if there's ink on the ground to help you flee!

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
Here's some things I do:

1. Man up and try to repel them back by shooting them while moving backwards.
2. Run away, and if possible, lead them to a floor gate where they'll fall through.
3. Have a weapon with a Bubbler or a Kraken.
4. Should you use a Kraken, wait for the other person to activate theirs, and then transform. Chase them down if you can because the other Kraken's time will run out before yours.
5. Have Ninja Squid for an easy getaway.
6. If you happen to see one nearby, remain calm, stay where you are, and hide in your ink. Just let them pass.
7. If you're being chased by one, try moving in circles since they'll follow you anyway. They'll be left open for a kill when they're done.
8. Burst Bombs. Theyll stop the kraken's momentum dead in one hit. Surprisingly very effective.

Disaster Master

Inkling
NNID
wofl177
I use the sploosh-o-matic a lot and even with it's absurd rate of fire the krakens still swim right through my bullets and straight to me.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
These are some of my anti-Kraken techniques:
  • Run away and shoot them once their special runs out
  • Push them back by shooting them (unless you're using a slow firing weapon and they're too close)
  • Throw a Splash Wall to block them while you relocate
  • Get on a grating floor (but remember to stay away from anywhere they can jump from)
  • Use a Killer Wail to lock them against a wall until either special runs out (hopefully theirs first)
  • Outsmart them! (example: hide in your ink while they go looking for you somewhere else)
I would also suggest the "Super Jump to spawn" idea someone said earlier

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Always keep an area of ink behind you for an escape route. If you see a Krakon nearby (especially with head glowing), start inking right away. Thinking about your survival over killing is very important in this game, as it is in just about every shooter.

Juking krakens is a bit of an acquired skill. I can't really explain how to do it other than to lead them in wide circles and up ramps while you jump off them. Basically think about where they're going to try to move next and lead them there, then move out of the way or go the other way.

Or you can super jump to a teammate/spawn. That always makes things fun for a greedy kraken.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I use the sploosh-o-matic a lot and even with it's absurd rate of fire the krakens still swim right through my bullets and straight to me.
The problem is that the Sploosh-o-matic has a short range of fire. You would have to be very close to a Kraken just to repel it.

My suggestion to you is to use something else with a longer reach.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
I like to chase them down and kill them. Nice little trail leading right to the prize. Run away in a wide circle and kill it once done.

Maybe swim speed up?

I've never successfully repelled one with shooting it.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've never successfully repelled one with shooting it.
You have to constantly hit it, so any miss can allow them to still reach you. I've been able to hold them back with a Jet Squelcher before, and I think we're all familiar with the Inkbrush that repelled a Kraken

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Most Krakens come from either Krak-On rollers or 96. Gal Deco. Krak-Ons have no ranged capabilities to speak of so if it runs out and it's still knee-deep in your turf you can safely splat it's user with any weapon that has reasonable range. 96. is more tricky but still not hard to deal with.

I'm going to parrot everyone here and say it's better to either bail out or sit still in your own ink. Before you hide, make sure you aren't currently being echolocated.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
If you go onto an area where it is impossible to ink the kraken will be reduced to the speed of a squid on dry ground, then keep shooting at it when it comes to you, and you should be golden, although if there are none of these areas to turn to, Run like the ****ens and pray to god they dont catch you.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Almost everything pinballs the kraken, even the carbon roller, somehow.
For heavy splatling, I lay down a splat wall ahead of me and stand behind it, and shoot. If someone else is being chased, I help them out by pinballing the kraken.
If it's a japanese player, I usually just run because their lag causes them to get pushed back a couple seconds of later. Yeah, "adapting" to laggy players sure is fair.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
If you recognize an enemy with a loadout with Kraken, don't go too deep into enemy ink, don't get too close and make sure they die if you see them, even if they're not shiny.

Usually if I kill with Kraken, it's because the enemy got too greedy and chased me deep into friendly ink. At that point they can't keep swimming to evade me, so they have to stop and fire to ink up, and that's when I catch up to them. Alternatively I get the jump on enemies from behind, but anyone can die to any weapon that way. I've had people fire at me to keep me away, which also tends to work but I wouldn't rely on that.

Usually how I evade or kill someone that used Kraken is by leading them deep into friendly ink. Once Kraken wears off then they become super easy to pick off. And while I'm in friendly ink it's very difficult for the Kraken to get to me unless I make predictable turns.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
My favorite response: Use the Kraken. I know that sounds less like help than it is but trust me; if you ise and see what people do to avoid the kraken, then you yourself have much easier times against it. I've out ran many kraken by being stupid or slick about my movement

Smarty1two

Senior Squid
NNID
Smarty1two
use a .52 gal and when they activate use the splash wall and either swim through the splash wall or retreat to your re-spawn point or re-position and take them out after they turn back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom