• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 How well is this game's competitive scene doing?

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
As in, how many notable tournaments (or tournaments at all) are their in a given timeframe? How many entrants show to each tournament? Are matches streamed on Twitch, and if so, how many views do they average? Have there been any serious sponsors? How big is the prize pool? Are there any big players? How does the game stack up in numbers to "super-massive" games like League of Legends or "massive" games like Melee? I know that's a lot to ask, but I haven't seen anything to show this games competitive scene even exists outside Squid Boards despite Nintendo's big esport stadium reveal for the game.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nothing worth comparing to other big games like Overwatch (oh noes I said the cursed word!!), League of Legends, Dota 2, Melee, Smash 4 and even Heroes of the Storm, which is known for not being as big in eSports as Blizzard tries to make it be.

I suspect the "eSports" scene of this game will be very modest, which isn't necessary the worst thing. As someone who plays online only and has no intention of playing eSports ever, this is fine.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
(oh noes I said the cursed word!!)
I don't know why the web filter isn't catching it. The moderators need to get on it. :rolleyes:

Heroes of the Storm, which is known for not being as big in eSports as Blizzard tries to make it be.
Clearly, because I've never heard of the game in my life.

As someone who plays online only and has no intention of playing eSports ever, this is fine.
Same here. I don't plan on getting into anything, but I was interested to see if one even exists because we have a whole section dedicated to competitive play here. Nintendo's "Inkling Invitational" had teams from the United States, Japan, Australia, and France (representing Europe), and while it was nothing more than a promotional event, (winners didn't even get $1, lol) I figure they didn't just pick people off the street. This would have been people who played the first game competitively, but I can't imagine the competitive scene for Splatoon 1 was any bigger than this game's is now.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
As in, how many notable tournaments (or tournaments at all) are their in a given timeframe? How many entrants show to each tournament? Are matches streamed on Twitch, and if so, how many views do they average? Have there been any serious sponsors? How big is the prize pool? Are there any big players? How does the game stack up in numbers to "super-massive" games like League of Legends or "massive" games like Melee? I know that's a lot to ask, but I haven't seen anything to show this games competitive scene even exists outside Squid Boards despite Nintendo's big esport stadium reveal for the game.
Well it's hard to tell if this game will ever stack up to games like overwatch, league, or rocket league. but I can say for certain that the pro/MLG teams are currently searching for players to fill there ranks right here in SQ. I recently looked at a post from a team called "Arctic Fury" looking to add the best of the best to there team, and I recognize there name. (I've watched a lot of E-sports this year) I've watched a few pro Splatoon 2 tournaments on twitch where they have announcers, a real live audience, prizes, the whole deal, they just don't have very many of that kind of thing going on for Splatoon 2 right now, probably because it's still pretty new and also because the game is so short compared to other E-sports.

You can bet that no matter how long it takes Splatoon 2 to get lots of MLG E-sports tournaments going, that I'll be right there on twitch watching it! :)

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
how many notable tournaments (or tournaments at all) are their in a given timeframe?
I'm assuming you mean major tournaments, in that case? If so, there are about 2 or 3 major tournaments happening, with also 1 or 2 major lans happening in one year. Most tournaments are just minor ones that aren't really announced much.

How many entrants show to each tournament?
It is the same top teams that appear, most of the time, since the new teams don't get much of a chance to go out there.

Are matches streamed on Twitch, and if so, how many views do they average?
With the exceptions of the major tournaments (and lans) that have better setups like EndGameTV and InkTV that can get a couple hundred viewers, it's mostly just players that stream their perspectives, with their friends watching, like 10-15 people max

Have there been any serious sponsors?
I know there are a few teams that are sponsored, but not just for Splatoon, it's because the people that sponsor them cover other games too. Like they have a team for Overwatch, people that play fighting games and there's also a Splatoon team in there because sure why not, kind of deal.

How big is the prize pool?
With the excpetions of the major lans, there are little to no prizes for most tournaments. If they do it's like an artist that does a team drawing, but no money is involved in 95% of tournaments

Are there any big players?
Other than ThatSrb2DUDE, there isn't really anyone else that stands out and makes content in the competitive community, as far as I know.

How does the game stack up in numbers to "super-massive" games like League of Legends or "massive" games like Melee?
And as Reila said already, it's nothing much when compared to other games like Overwatch, LoL, Melee...

So it's doing okay but it's nothing too big right now, which fine, but if people want to get this game to be a big Esport, we need more content creators for Splatoon like DUDE

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I don't know why the web filter isn't catching it. The moderators need to get on it. :rolleyes:

Clearly, because I've never heard of the game in my life.

Same here. I don't plan on getting into anything, but I was interested to see if one even exists because we have a whole section dedicated to competitive play here. Nintendo's "Inkling Invitational" had teams from the United States, Japan, Australia, and France (representing Europe), and while it was nothing more than a promotional event, (winners didn't even get $1, lol) I figure they didn't just pick people off the street. This would have been people who played the first game competitively, but I can't imagine the competitive scene for Splatoon 1 was any bigger than this game's is now.
Your best bet is to go on dscord. Also the game struggles with popularity due to people struggling to realize the absolute difference between turf and ranked modes. Like srsly the Splatoon 2 group on fb is people complaining about sploosh being too powerful (post baller patch people lol).
Also it doesn't help that a lot of the top players are scattered and the matchmaking that separates US, Europe, And Japan doesn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom