How would you fix Splattercolor Screen?

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
maybe muffling the sound instead of that other sound… I don’t have any of those issues, so I’m not very qualified to talk about this

Ktdubz

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1873-9192-0517
The most plausible suggestion I've heard would be to apply the fog effect from Salmon Run. That's something we know doesn't cause sensory issues. For audio, I think you could actually justify just muting the game entirely. That's a buff, but it's a necessary one, anything else will just have players get used to it and not be impacted. It's not like Screen is actually strong in its current state, if it's going to be reworked it needs teeth.

However, I'm of the opinion that a purely visual special was bad game design from the start and the best thing to do would be to throw it out and replace it with something entirely different. I just don't think you can balance this sort of thing because it's always going to affect some players moreso than others. But I know Nintendo's never gonna do that, we're stuck with this.
Honestly when screen was datamined, I was hoping it would have been like the fog from salmon run

WithTheT

Inkling
NNID
Pentagon
Switch Friend Code
SW-7003-0223-6255
So if you don't know, the Splattercolor Screen special has become an accessibility issue for Splatoon. The visual effects it has can be painful to certain folk and harms their ability to play the game.

I'm sure Nintendo will push out some sort of fix for the special eventually, so before that happens I thought I'd make a thread where we can predict some of the changes they would make or maybe just share some changes you would like to see!

Personally, I think they'll get rid of the grayscale filter and will instead make all ink one solid color.
I would make it do more damage and get rid of the sound effect

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
definitely muffling sound (the same way music gets muffled while you're submerged in ink maybe?) is the best way to handle the audio i think, replacing the static. maintaining the visual greyscale is important imo, but it should definitely make all ink look uniform on top of that so that it's consistently difficult to tell stuff apart for everyone, since it is honestly pretty easy to see the difference between ink colors for me, but i'm pretty sure other people have a harder time with it

Pix

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pixxyofflames
Switch Friend Code
SW-0436-5764-8697
for me... dimming the outside of the screen with a dark effect while the center is lighter, but still dimmed. the noises not being LOUD, but muffling everything. if that isn't enough for teeth? well. wellie wellie well. how about we make you hear CONFUSING NOISE CUES. special activation sounds. bomb sounds. things coming from places they shouldn't be. in coordinated play you'd just have to talk to other people about if there's bombs or not which could put on pressure because you suddenly can't really trust if there's really a bomb on the tower or rolling in front of you or if it's just the screen messing with you kinda thing.

make them doubt. the. noises. they. hear.

Mayo Lanson

Inkling
Subduction. Make everything sound hazy instead of loud and sizzling, and make the ink colors look the same.
If they keep the sound fxs then throw in some special sounds, and sounds from hero mode and salmon run just for fun.
Adding onto this, please please PLEASE let your team see through this thing

beyondinsane

Inkling
I'd simply remove it, It Has horrible design.
Let me explain myself a little the color blindness and noise is annoying but sometimes you can just go through in to get someone behind it and the only way of fixing that is making it super broken and also in a game like splatoon the colours and the sounds is what makes the game so fun and unique and taking that away just makes it look boring

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom