• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How would you fix Splattercolor Screen?

Tribow

Inkster Jr.
So if you don't know, the Splattercolor Screen special has become an accessibility issue for Splatoon. The visual effects it has can be painful to certain folk and harms their ability to play the game.

I'm sure Nintendo will push out some sort of fix for the special eventually, so before that happens I thought I'd make a thread where we can predict some of the changes they would make or maybe just share some changes you would like to see!

Personally, I think they'll get rid of the grayscale filter and will instead make all ink one solid color.

Cephalobro

I think a better way to fix it is to reverse the ink colors temporarily, but don't reverse the color of the gear or the ink inside of the ink tank. That way, they can fix it without taking away the "confusion" aspect of the Splattercolor Screen. Oh and give it another sound, because the current one is headache-inducing from what I heard.

Elbowtross

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
elbowtross256
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8505-2901
Having it turn your current ink color resemble a hue closer to that of the enemy team would be an idea. I'm not sure how that would go down with people with color blindness, but color lock still exists of course. And perhaps instead of an acidic sizzling sound the audio could just be muffled instead. As if the bubble-like film wrapped around you and inhibited your hearing.

I think the idea of a disruptive special is neat, but it ought to get tweaked a bit.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
The most plausible suggestion I've heard would be to apply the fog effect from Salmon Run. That's something we know doesn't cause sensory issues. For audio, I think you could actually justify just muting the game entirely. That's a buff, but it's a necessary one, anything else will just have players get used to it and not be impacted. It's not like Screen is actually strong in its current state, if it's going to be reworked it needs teeth.

However, I'm of the opinion that a purely visual special was bad game design from the start and the best thing to do would be to throw it out and replace it with something entirely different. I just don't think you can balance this sort of thing because it's always going to affect some players moreso than others. But I know Nintendo's never gonna do that, we're stuck with this.

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
So if you don't know, the Splattercolor Screen special has become an accessibility issue for Splatoon. The visual effects it has can be painful to certain folk and harms their ability to play the game.

I'm sure Nintendo will push out some sort of fix for the special eventually, so before that happens I thought I'd make a thread where we can predict some of the changes they would make or maybe just share some changes you would like to see!

Personally, I think they'll get rid of the grayscale filter and will instead make all ink one solid color.
Make it work like blooper from Mario kart, and either dampen or better completely remove the sound and let your team see through your side of the screen

1O7JR

Inkster Jr.
I would make it be able to be thrown not once, but 3 times. That way you can blind your enemy from multiple sides. This special basically guarantees only the strongest in mind and body will be able to get past it. The ultimate power filter.

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
I would make it be able to be thrown not once, but 3 times. That way you can blind your enemy from multiple sides. This special basically guarantees only the strongest in mind and body will be able to get past it. The ultimate power filter.
If you fix the accessibility issues then I'd honestly really like that. It even fits in with the whole '3' theme of splatoon 3

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
The most plausible suggestion I've heard would be to apply the fog effect from Salmon Run. That's something we know doesn't cause sensory issues. For audio, I think you could actually justify just muting the game entirely. That's a buff, but it's a necessary one, anything else will just have players get used to it and not be impacted. It's not like Screen is actually strong in its current state, if it's going to be reworked it needs teeth.

However, I'm of the opinion that a purely visual special was bad game design from the start and the best thing to do would be to throw it out and replace it with something entirely different. I just don't think you can balance this sort of thing because it's always going to affect some players moreso than others. But I know Nintendo's never gonna do that, we're stuck with this.
this one is my favorite. limiting vision distance is probably the best you could do. maybe remove the ability to view the map as well.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
theyd need to be smaller otherwise you could essentially force damage on anyone trying to move forward. with something like a bamboo that would be like a mapwide impossible-to-push-through barrier. not to mention stacking the screens would suck to deal with.

Mayo Lanson

Inkling
Subduction. Make everything sound hazy instead of loud and sizzling, and make the ink colors look the same.
If they keep the sound fxs then throw in some special sounds, and sounds from hero mode and salmon run just for fun.

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
Screen giving you salmon run fog would be pretty cool actually. Maybe they could get rid of the screen sounds and replace it with the one player remaining siren, idk how bad that would be for the people affected by screens current sound tho

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
You could also take away peripheral vision instead. That would restrict vision without completely destroying backlines like the fog would. But it still hurts every kind of weapon

Bits

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2573-6331-5817
Aside from removing it from the game I would make both ink colors look the exact same instead of totally greyscale the screen, I would also change the sound to the menu loading sound instead of that static bs. I would also make it move faster or slower depending on if you were moving foreward while throwing it or not. Also have it do a thermal ink flash every 3 seconds if you're looking through the screen.

Switch Friend Code
SW-3955-3263-6311
You could also take away peripheral vision instead. That would restrict vision without completely destroying backlines like the fog would. But it still hurts every kind of weapon
Yeah like blooper :)
(Please Nintendo make it like blooper that's the fix please)

Bits

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2573-6331-5817
Aside from removing it from the game I would make both ink colors look the exact same instead of totally greyscale the screen, I would also change the sound to the menu loading sound instead of that static bs. I would also make it move faster or slower depending on if you were moving foreward while throwing it or not. Also have it do a thermal ink flash every 3 seconds if you're looking through the screen.
To clarify, I want both ink colors to be a dark gray

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I think swapping them would be really interesting.
It means anyone who can tell apart the ink colors normally could still do so (meaning there's no potential to affect colorblind people disproportionately) but it would still throw people off, especially if things like the HUD didn't change

Coastline

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3538-6274-5019
do deal with visual, i think making at least color slightly darker will help people see better

audio, i think having it turn to a blinding sound effect like in Valorant when you get blinded by Omen, it’s makes your audio muffled instead of the weird effect that plays

The Knee

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7739-4186-1690
i thought of an idea that probably would be super annoying:
Screen will still do 30 damage on contact
The team that throws the screen can see through the screen (basically none of those ink swirls in the screen visible for them)
The other team cannot see through it obviously
If the other team makes contact with the screen they no longer can see objects such as bombs, specials, utility subs stuff like that. Basically you would die to bombs, bump into splashwalls, stuff like that and it would be funny and not hurt people irl :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom