• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How's the Competetive/Tournament Scene Like?

Silentium

Senior Squid
I didn't even know that there were as many tournaments and clans as there were. It seems like there's a new clan every day and a two tournaments each day. Anyways how is it like? Are there any major tournaments to keep an eye on? Any big name teams or players? Or is it all just a collection of random clans and tournaments?

shiyongyi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
In my opinion, there are some clans that've been around since the August update, beforehand, and as you've noticed, new ones constantly springing up. Some of the top teams like OFFSHORE have parted ways, while others have had name changes, etc.

Some of the top teams off my head or people I know to look out for:
Nintendome
Koopa Clan
NSTC
Exultance
Speed Runs Live
Team Paradise
The SquidBox

Major/Primary Tourneys:
Inkstorm
Messtival
Splatoon Community League
Booyah Battle

These are all off the top of my head. Some names are associated with their teams, etc. There are plenty of teams you can follow on twitter, if you just start looking around.

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
I just finished ranking the competitive teams so far. Check the sticky if you're interested.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Thanks for all of the replies.

Another question: Do the Squidboards host huge events involving certain tournaments?

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
Squidboards doesn't actually host things, it's more that the people that host events use this site as a place to post information.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Scene is kinda meh at the moment. People complained that there were too many tournaments so people stopped hosting basically cold turkey for a while. Kids think imperious lounge is end-all be-all and the scene is dead because of that. Squidboards doesn't support the scene at all.

Game's still fun. **** kraken.

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
Basically nonexistent. You'd be lucky to find someone that takes "competitive Splatoon" seriously anymore. Now it's iterally become nothing but a cesspool of memers and casuals.

Helios42

Inkling
NNID
Helios4242
I wouldn't say it's dead but it's dealing with the transition from short term hype to long term mainstay

Mapet

Inkling
Posting here because my question is similar. Do any of the serious players here think that the scene will exist/flourish in the future?

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Posting here because my question is similar. Do any of the serious players here think that the scene will exist/flourish in the future?
I get the feeling it's going to kind of stagnate and truck along for a while. So I think it'll still exist but flourish may be a strong word to use. Part of that is due to lack of basic features like spectate (especially spectate tbh).

As for the competitive scene, this topic is kind of old, but check the tournament listings for tournaments. I run SCL and we don't plan on going anywhere for a while. There was a list of popular tournaments posted above which included most of the standard ones minus calamari cup, and there are some recurring options that do weird rulesets like S&F tournaments (Scarth and Fat)

Early on there were a lot more tournament options than there are now. Basically the primary ones that exist today just did a better job than the ones that failed, so players played in those and as a result they still exist. Every once in a while a new tournament crops up, but usually it isn't run super well. Surf & Turf was new and actually was run pretty well, so props to Latias for doing that, but IDK if an offering with turf war will stick around long.

Pretty much you play in SCL for a quickie but still competitive and fun tournament, you play in CC, IS, Messtival, and BB for your longer but less frequently offered more standard options (combined they're spaced out decently enough so that you have something standard to look forward to), and you join in tournaments like S&F or Surf + Turf for something a little different to break the monotony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom