• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hydra Splattling: Analysis and Thoughts

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
If you're close enough to splat bomb an Eliter then they'll probably just burst bomb you to death. Kelp & Splat Charger still wins without fully charging up close too and out ranges with scope. As far as Bubbler is concerned, you need a decently ranged weapon to use it effectively in most situations. Offensively, you can turn a trade into a win if you're close enough or out range the enemy. But if you use it defensively when the opponent has the advantage, the best you can do is run away if you can't out range them since it's even easier to be pushed back with shots than Kraken.

With the Hydra being used as a Slosher with insane range (inking turf from safe positions) you're going to be a prime target that the enemy will rush towards. Getting rushed down is going to happen frequently because you can only really "pressure" the opposition between lengthy intervals (unless they have a charger in which case you won't pressure anyone directly anyway) due to the long charge time. This is where Bubbler comes in; since you can out range pretty much any weapon that needs to get close, you can splat them instead of running away which lets you hold your position.
Well, my main point was that you shouldn't be comparing it to ELiter as, seriously, nothing compares to it. So that should be out of the question. There are situations where the Hydra will come out on top, it isn't a clearly tilted outcome. Also, the Scoped versions of the Splatchargers actually have the exact same range as the Hydra, both capping at 88. The Splatchargers just have the faster TTK of the two. Since they both have the same range, if a Splatcharger is charging to 3/4 before a Hydra is charging to 1/8 there's a problem, and it's not the weapon. Thing is, the Hydra is VERY far from an offensive weapon. It doesn't have the mobility to be one, so 9.5 times out of 10 it will be playing a defensive role and opting to get out of there. One Problem, the enemy ink doesn't allow for quick access, so you then have to ink the path around you, so you might as well just try to splat that other player to get away safely, meaning they either get away as soon as the bubbler goes up, or you get the splat. If you get the splat, that's cool, but I'd much rather see them coming thanks to my Echolocator, and drop a Splat Bomb right where they'd be and gtfo. I cannot argue that the Bubbler isn't a great panic button for when people get too close, but I would not trade it for Echolocator that just let's me know people are close. Especially when you add the much more effective Sub Weapon it comes with. Sprinkler is nice for building Bubbler and all, but Bubbler on its own just doesn't fit this weapon.

This is all theory crafting, so I could be wrong, as could you. There's no way of possibly knowing whether the Custom will surpass the Vanilla or not. So, there's really no reason to get deep into it.

BackwardCap

The Ink Brush Samurai
NNID
BackwardCap
the Hydra is VERY far from an offensive weapon.
Yes but what I'm trying to say is that due to chargers it can't be defensive either. You instead have to be passive-aggressive in order to get the most out of what it can do. You won't need to "get out of there" since the goal is to cause havoc where no one can touch you (over walls, or from your own base) unless they flank your position. Since you'll be looking at the game pad to see where you should be shooting most of the time, you'll be able to see them coming. That plus bubbler pretty much shifts any attempts to flank your position in your favor. They won't be getting away from you either once you activate bubbler thanks to Hydras range unless there is a corner for them to run around. I'd even say it's more useful than echo locator at the moment since cold-blooded is also frequently used. Sprinkler just adds to the area of effect you can control from safe positions and increases your end game score in turf war.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Yes but what I'm trying to say is that due to chargers it can't be defensive either. You instead have to be passive-aggressive in order to get the most out of what it can do. You won't need to "get out of there" since the goal is to cause havoc where no one can touch you (over walls, or from your own base) unless they flank your position. Since you'll be looking at the game pad to see where you should be shooting most of the time, you'll be able to see them coming. That plus bubbler pretty much shifts any attempts to flank your position in your favor. They won't be getting away from you either once you activate bubbler thanks to Hydras range unless there is a corner for them to run around. I'd even say it's more useful than echo locator at the moment since cold-blooded is also frequently used. Sprinkler just adds to the area of effect you can control from safe positions and increases your end game score in turf war.
I have to ask are you talking exclusively Turf Wars? Hardly ever will you be "shooting over walls" and you shouldn't be backed all the way back to your base as that is your job to prevent that. Also, people can very easily get away from you, as like I said it will be covered in their ink, and anyone worth their salt isn't going to run away in a straight line, corner or no, they will likely get away. Not always, but there is a very high chance. If you're talking about strictly turf wars, then I guess maybe it will be better, again there is absolutely no way to know for certain so your words sort of fall on deaf ears, in the sense that you can not show any proof of this being the case. I have a hard time believing the Custom will be better simply because of what the loadout has, and I do not think the Bubbler in any way helps it more. It doesn't hurt it, but it doesn't make it vastly superior. Sprinkler I feel doesn't help much either, when Splat Bomb is much better for putting up a pseudo wall between you and your pursuer.

So if you're talking strictly turf war, which it seems like you are, then we can stop the conversation here, because that is not what I'm referring to 95% of the time when I'm talking about the effectiveness of a weapon, as any weapon can be viable in Turf Wars.

BackwardCap

The Ink Brush Samurai
NNID
BackwardCap
I have to ask are you talking exclusively Turf Wars? Hardly ever will you be "shooting over walls" and you shouldn't be backed all the way back to your base as that is your job to prevent that. Also, people can very easily get away from you, as like I said it will be covered in their ink, and anyone worth their salt isn't going to run away in a straight line, corner or no, they will likely get away. Not always, but there is a very high chance. If you're talking about strictly turf wars, then I guess maybe it will be better, again there is absolutely no way to know for certain so your words sort of fall on deaf ears, in the sense that you can not show any proof of this being the case. I have a hard time believing the Custom will be better simply because of what the loadout has, and I do not think the Bubbler in any way helps it more. It doesn't hurt it, but it doesn't make it vastly superior. Sprinkler I feel doesn't help much either, when Splat Bomb is much better for putting up a pseudo wall between you and your pursuer.

So if you're talking strictly turf war, which it seems like you are, then we can stop the conversation here, because that is not what I'm referring to 95% of the time when I'm talking about the effectiveness of a weapon, as any weapon can be viable in Turf Wars.
I was being inclusive to most modes except maybe Tower Control. In splat zone, you can literally control a zone at a distance from behind cover with Splatlings. For the other modes, Hydra has enough range to control mid from behind walls close to your base (not at the spawn point). That can be proven just by using the regular variant. I'm arguing that on paper, the Custom set-up makes doing that easier. If your base is covered in their ink to the point where they can easily escape bubbler from well within your own range then you're probably getting spawn camped already.

robosteven

Inkling
NNID
robosteven
I hope they increase the ink coverage of the Hydra in some future patch. That's probably my only complaint about the thing, fully-charged lines are still blotchy.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I hope they increase the ink coverage of the Hydra in some future patch. That's probably my only complaint about the thing, fully-charged lines are still blotchy.

Same thing I felt about the Hydra tbh. I'm quite certain it'll receive a buff in future and I am also of the opinion that it's inking ability should be a bit better. Atm the other two Splatlings ink surfaces so much better that it makes the Hydra look stupid. In most other aspects it's actually very strong in comparison (range which includes volleying, firing duration at full charge, accuracy) so I don't really see those being buffed at all.

JRT Koopa

Inkster Jr.
The Hydra Splatling frustrated me the most of all weapons when I used it for the first time. I'm fine with its long range and long period of rapid fire in full charge, but I believe the weapon has a steep learning curve because its extremely slow charge & heavily reduced mobility make the user an easy target for a lot of weapons and most of all, E-liters (the hardest counters in my opinion). Besides, knowing its different charge timings is crucial to capitalize on its versatility.

After weeks of using the Hydra Splatling, I figured the best abilities for me to use to mitigate some of its problems.

Ink Recovery Up is meant for accelerating the reloading time of the Hydra Splatling and its sub weapon, splat bombs. Haunt is meant for tagging an opponent that exploits the weaknesses of the weapon and splatting the user. Run Speed Up is useful for mitigating its mobility issues while firing.

Overall, I believe this weapon fits for long-range support, although it requires a lot of patience in order to learn and use it to its full potential.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
The Hydra Splatling frustrated me the most of all weapons when I used it for the first time. I'm fine with its long range and long period of rapid fire in full charge, but I believe the weapon has a steep learning curve because its extremely slow charge & heavily reduced mobility make the user an easy target for a lot of weapons and most of all, E-liters (the hardest counters in my opinion). Besides, knowing its different charge timings is crucial to capitalize on its versatility.

After weeks of using the Hydra Splatling, I figured the best abilities for me to use to mitigate some of its problems.

Ink Recovery Up is meant for accelerating the reloading time of the Hydra Splatling and its sub weapon, splat bombs. Haunt is meant for tagging an opponent that exploits the weaknesses of the weapon and splatting the user. Run Speed Up is useful for mitigating its mobility issues while firing.

Overall, I believe this weapon fits for long-range support, although it requires a lot of patience in order to learn and use it to its full potential.
I completely agree with your abilities, outside of Haunt. Haunt is decent for tagging the opponent, after you die, but your focus should be on staying alive. I mean, it has Echolocator which sort of makes Haunt pretty redundant. It's not a terrible ability, but I can't say I'd really endorse it like I would Cold Blooded. I feel Ink Saver main should be added to that list too, although on most weapons it is near useless, an extra fully charged shot can come in handy for the Hydra. Run Speed is okay, but I definitely wouldn't choose it over Saver Main. But, that's just me. There's not one specific way to build for the Hydra. Just giving my two cents.

making sure to state that to avoid being crucified again

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Just giving my two cents.

making sure to state that to avoid being crucified again
Hey, if you wanna avoid that, why not fancy a check at my Sloshing Machine Neo thread, eh? It's nice and quiet now, not a lot of watchers...

(totally not promoting it because I don't want to bump it without playing it yet)

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Oh boy, oh boy, it's Custom Hydra day! @HappyBear801 make sure you get that thread up in time! ;) The last Analysis and Thoughts thread ever :(

I thoroughly suck with Hydra, but I've been eagerly and impatiently waiting for the Custom to give it another serious play through. I'm not keen on sprinklers in most weapons, but since I suck with Hydra anyway, maybe I'll find a new way to use it! I want to like hydra. I like heavy, I shouldn't have such problems with hydra. Maybe the new one will make it work for me!

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Oh boy, oh boy, it's Custom Hydra day! @HappyBear801 make sure you get that thread up in time! ;) The last Analysis and Thoughts thread ever :(

I thoroughly suck with Hydra, but I've been eagerly and impatiently waiting for the Custom to give it another serious play through. I'm not keen on sprinklers in most weapons, but since I suck with Hydra anyway, maybe I'll find a new way to use it! I want to like hydra. I like heavy, I shouldn't have such problems with hydra. Maybe the new one will make it work for me!
I'll try! I'll be traveling tonight so I'll see how it goes. Before that, however, I'm going to finally play this game after almost two weeks of a hiatus and try out the SMN and revive that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom