I can't even win Turf War...

Kikaioh

Full Squid
This game makes me salty as all get out. But overall I think every match is a learning experience, even the ones I'm losing. I don't mind as much moving up and down the ranks anymore, since it just feels like there's more I need to learn. I vent like hell, but keep coming back to it.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I can win turf war but I have huge problems when I play ranked. I try so many things to improve my gameplay, but the highest I've ever been is like, S 58, and I am usually switching between A+ and S a lot (once I even went down to A). I don't really understand why Splatoon is so difficult and rage-inducing for me. Usually, I do things to help me be better, such as:
  • Taking Breaks whenever I'm feeling salty
  • Playing single player levels to improve my aim
  • Only using the weapons I feel are most fun/comfortable to play as
  • Flanking and being stealthy, not rushing into fight I know I will lose, checking out both maps in recon before I play them
  • Creating load outs for some weapons and save-scumming to get triple perk gear
  • (I try to do this, but usually just fail and die) Only super jump when I am 99% sure that it will be safe
  • Using maximum sensitivity and being comfortable with it
  • Using headphones to hear better
  • Watching videos of people playing and read some guides for the weapons I use
Yet, despite doing all those things, I still feel like I'm not good enough. And obviously, I'm not, since I can still lose multiple games in a row. I try to improve myself, but sometimes, I really do wonder how my teammates get into S/S+ rank, since they look so bad. For example, I was on a team today where an S+ guy died 14 times and got only 2 kills. I know people always say to not blame your teammates for your losses, and I hate to blame my teammates too, but I feel like I should be doing much better than I am currently doing, since I feel like I practice a lot and usually preform very well in battle.

Reyalin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xapivox
I completely understand. I have a habit of setting myself very high standards for games, and if I don't reach those standards then I get really hard on myself, which is bad seeing as I have depression and it makes me feel like dirt for the rest of the day. I lose very often and it makes me upset to know that I'm not improving, I'm just stuck in the transition from B+ > A- rank. All the while, it makes me jealous seeing people in my squad reaching A+. ;o; Like, what have they done that I haven't? I've watched all the videos and read a lot of guides.

I would suggest lowering your standards, being a mediocre player is okay, because not everyone has all of the hours a day to practice. You only improve through time, so it's good to have a little patience. c: Perhaps what would help if you set smaller achievements, such as splatting two squids or covering a certain amount of turf, then even if you lose you feel like you've succeeded.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I've had those moments. It happens usually when I'm trying to unwind from something else (job, family, etc) and the losing in Splatoon just makes life worse. So, first, assess what else is bothering you (if anything), then remind yourself that sometimes Splatoon isn't the best way to let off steam.

When I notice I'm getting more frustrated than I should, I try a weapon I KNOW I'm going to do poorly with. That way, if I win, YAY. If I lose, meh, it was the weapon. After you go on a serious losing streak where you K/D and points are low, then you will often get paired with less competent players and can do better. Try experimenting with builds and weapons to shake things up.

Also, assess how you are playing. I often THINK that I just want to play support and sit back and ink, so I pick a long range weapon like a squelcher. But then I start pushing forward, either because I need to, or I just feel inclined to. This often goes badly when I try to play frontline with my support weapon. But if I switch to a weapon like the .52 or tentatek I do much better. This is because, for some reason, my playstyle that day is more aggressive and I need to play a weapon that helps me do that. This works in reverse as well.

Good luck!
I'm very much the same way. I want to play as support for my team most of the time that I play and I'll pick a weapon setup that reflects that, but I'll oftentimes push forward through the opposing team's territory alone and without being aware of the situation, so I'll always get splatted. I want to play a more defensive game, but I'll find myself being on the frontline. It's a hard habit to break.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm very much the same way. I want to play as support for my team most of the time that I play and I'll pick a weapon setup that reflects that, but I'll oftentimes push forward through the opposing team's territory alone and without being aware of the situation, so I'll always get splatted. I want to play a more defensive game, but I'll find myself being on the frontline. It's a hard habit to break.
Some rules for defensive support play I usually try to follow:
  • Always try to know where your allies are.
  • Make sure you have proper control of your half of the map. If you don't, and the match is not about to end, stay on your half and keep the enemy at bay unless pushing is the better option (a.k.a., you're being spawncamped and the like).
  • Always try to know where the enemy is at. Use any sort of guide to do that; laser sights, turf suddenly changing to the wrong color on the map, shots flying around. If you think you saw a pretty squid sneaking around, chances are you did see a pretty squid sneaking around.
  • If your allies are in the middle of combat and you can't reliably move forward without opening yourself to a flank attack or leaving the base wide open, try just lobbing ink on either your allies or the enemy (preferably both). Lobbing ink on your ally allows them to maneuver or retreat if needed, and lobbing ink on the enemy decreases their mobility and can ultimately force them to back up, even if they get the splat on your teammate. While it's tempting to go in for the kill, the chance of you failing and losing a good portion of your turf (and potentially causing a spawn camp in some situations) doesn't really make it worth it, specially on maps like Walleye Warehouse and Moray Towers where things go from bad to "GG" in seconds.
  • And last but not least, make sure to paint as much of the enemy ink as possible, specially vertical paths on walls. Inklings can hide in very small pools of in, and you never know if whoever's there is a Jr. user or a Dynamo. Painting paths on walls prevents the enemy from gaining height, which is very helpful on maps like Moray Towers as they will have to either go the long, exposed way or shoot the wall again, exposing themselves to your team briefly (and if they're in the wall they can actually fall off if they try to go through your ink). And let's be honest, there's no worse feeling like being in a hurry to help your team and coming to a halt due to a tiny spec of enemy ink you just so happened to graze :mad:

Oh, and don't forget to paint those corners ;)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
What weapon(s) do you normally use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom