I can't even win Turf War...

Grimtendo

Inkling
Seriously, I'm sure this kind of thing has been posted a hundred times before, but dammit the past handful of times I've played this game have literally reduced me to tears. That's not an exaggeration, it's been that frustrating. The past few times I've played it was mostly me getting out of A+ rank and then getting massacred by S players. I can at least sort of forgive that, even though it didn't feel any better when it happened. I'm now at 6 points into S rank, and afraid to even try again. Those past few times I played I usually left my loss streak by playing Turf War, and still couldn't manage to do that right. And then comes today; all I've even played is Turf, haven't even touched ranked, and I probably haven't won more than 3 out of last 20 matches I played today. I'm talking hands shaking, can't see straight, literally to the point of screaming frustration.

This post is mostly just rant but seriously, I know I can't be the only person who keeps coming back to this game just to leave in tears EVERY time. What the hell is wrong with me? How does anyone else deal with this?

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
This pretty much happened to me when I was A. Just play a few games and hope you win, and if you win quit for a few hours/days. I'm actually afraid of doing ranked atm becuse of fear losing my S 90.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Why would you not play ranked for fear of losing an S ranking? Ranks are merely to delineate skill levels. I personally wouldn't attach too much status to ranks in this game.

Seriously, I'm sure this kind of thing has been posted a hundred times before, but dammit the past handful of times I've played this game have literally reduced me to tears. That's not an exaggeration, it's been that frustrating. The past few times I've played it was mostly me getting out of A+ rank and then getting massacred by S players. I can at least sort of forgive that, even though it didn't feel any better when it happened. I'm now at 6 points into S rank, and afraid to even try again. Those past few times I played I usually left my loss streak by playing Turf War, and still couldn't manage to do that right. And then comes today; all I've even played is Turf, haven't even touched ranked, and I probably haven't won more than 3 out of last 20 matches I played today. I'm talking hands shaking, can't see straight, literally to the point of screaming frustration.
At that point, it's time to walk away from the game for a couple of days. I think just about everyone here has been on a losing streak at least once. When you dig yourself into a hole, the first thing you need to do is realize you are in a hole. The second thing you need to do is stop digging.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'd check the Plaza after some losing rounds in TW. Immediately when you exit the lobby, the 7 players you just played TW with will be standing outside the lobby (if you go into inventory or stores, they'll scatter around the Plaza.)

I always check who I just got my rear end handed to me by after a devastating TW round. Invariably it's a team of S/S+ players. That's right, you might actually be playing HIGHER rank opponents in TW than you are in ranked! I do. Virtually always. It's awful. :( TW is where I go to play S rank games. Or C- rank games depending on the matchmaker's mood that hour.

View attachment 2600

Not even joking. Can't stay angry when you play this.
I don't know, Cute as Yarn Yoshi is, even his game has some rage inducing segments. (I'm looking at you, 5th flower in that horrid drapery level!) :D

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
It's usually something a little deeper than just losing at the game. Almost always. An average everyday citizen would just rage quit and not play it for a while but there's people like me and you who sit there and force ourselves to suffer until we win and then we aren't even satisfied with the win. It's torture.

CandiBunni

Inkling
NNID
CandiBunni
While I've not played ranked, I know pretty well the frustration of going on a losing streak not only in Splatoon, but games like Halo 3, Reach, 4, Killzone 2, etc. It's super duper annoying to be sure, but whenever it happens I just play something else or take a break from games entirely until my mood improves. I've never raged so hard that I threw a controller, hit something, etc. Whenever I hear about someone doing that, I always find it rather... well, silly.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
An average everyday citizen would just rage quit and not play it for a while but there's people like me and you who sit there and force ourselves to suffer until we win and then we aren't even satisfied with the win. It's torture.
You need to discipline yourself to stop after a while. As I have discussed in another thread, losing streaks + rage = worse gameplay. You aren't going to pull yourself out of a nosedive by playing while angry. I personally stop if I lose 3 matches in a row to minimize my losing streaks because I usually start getting frustrated at that point, which will make me play worse and cause more losses.

Award

In TW, I don't really care about the win or loss. I know if I'M playing well or not. If I'm not playing well, must PLAY AND PLAY AND PLAY until I play it RIGHT!! It drives me crazy if I'm not. But if I'm happy with my playing and I know my team lost it, I'm satisfied.

Ranked is different. That group of yellow bellied, crybaby, worthless, good for nothing sissies WILL be whipped into shape or so help me... :mad::D

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Echoing everyone else, I would definitly say take a break at that point. One thing I would say, is when you start playing again, just play for fun and keep that in your mind. If you win that's great, if you lose that's great too. Just don't attach too much importance to winning. Thinking like this has improved my game (and my mood) a lot.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I've had those moments. It happens usually when I'm trying to unwind from something else (job, family, etc) and the losing in Splatoon just makes life worse. So, first, assess what else is bothering you (if anything), then remind yourself that sometimes Splatoon isn't the best way to let off steam.

When I notice I'm getting more frustrated than I should, I try a weapon I KNOW I'm going to do poorly with. That way, if I win, YAY. If I lose, meh, it was the weapon. After you go on a serious losing streak where you K/D and points are low, then you will often get paired with less competent players and can do better. Try experimenting with builds and weapons to shake things up.

Also, assess how you are playing. I often THINK that I just want to play support and sit back and ink, so I pick a long range weapon like a squelcher. But then I start pushing forward, either because I need to, or I just feel inclined to. This often goes badly when I try to play frontline with my support weapon. But if I switch to a weapon like the .52 or tentatek I do much better. This is because, for some reason, my playstyle that day is more aggressive and I need to play a weapon that helps me do that. This works in reverse as well.

Good luck!

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC
I'm literally here.

I may be a bit different in that I legitimately have mental problems, but you get rusty after breaks and coming back makes the situation worse. I for one permenately quit splatoon just short of S-rank.

To me at least, it feels that the people trying to help don't understand. They don't understand the fact that your mind *attatches* to that rank and strongly desires to become good and that you can't control the tears or the rage. They just think you're another normal person that can overcome the problem on their own with ease by just "taking a break".

Out of all the posts here, Njok's was the most helpful.

For me, a break wasn't enough. I had to quit. Since I quit, I got 12th out of 630 for class rank, placed in an individual math team competition, solved 10 project euler problems, and more. It's a win-win. I stop torturing myself and I become more productive and do more useful things in life.

There's my 0.5 cents (only using a quarter of my brain and don't feel like putting any effort into this post)

Pronouns
it/he
NNID
vari24
Switch Friend Code
SW-8490-2265-8616
Don't fret, and take a small break. Calm down and have some rest. Watch a TV show. Heck, you can keep playing the game and have a Squid Party in TW (if you're a fan of that sort of thing). Sometimes that's all you need. :)

NNID
Cakeberry_Shake
The internet has come a long way. When I started surfing, people would have told you to kill yourself.
Don't people still do this sometimes?

I would advise taking a break as well. After that, try to not play for winning but to play for fun. Maybe try some new weapons too. I had a loss streak in tower control once and then I tried the Tri-slosher. The following matches went much better and I found a new weapon that I can do well with (and troll with).

Award

The big thing is TW, after 2.4 applies improved matchmaking. Whatever that improved matchmaking may be, it seems to like to pit good players against great teams accompanied by modest allies. I played TW all day yesterday. I played Custom Hydra (new weapon I'd like to add to my mains.) Lost almost every round (but I actually played the new Hydra well!) My team consisted of people who clearly did not know the keystones of the maps and didn't care. They wanted to rush out and kill stuff. Inking turf was not their priority. We'd finish Piranha Pit with the bottom section UNINKED. I was busy holding defense and didn't get a chance between waves of attacks to go down and paint, and the rest of the team just kept running right into the enemy base. But I commonly have TW matches with a C-, B+, and Lv14 unranked against a C+, B-, S, S+ (On a good round I'll be against a B, A-, A, B+, but my team will be C+, C-, and a lv3 unranked.). Invariably the S+ has like 14/3, the S has 10/2, and the other two don't really matter much, once the S's open their spawncamp path for them, they just sit there camping in their own ink at random places in our own base, picking us off and we can't get out of spawn. (I'll have my own thread on this topic later on.)

Point is, don't take TW losses personally. I played probably 40-50 rounds yesterday. If I won 15 it was a miracle. I looked at how well I performed and ignored the win/loss status. Getting 7/0 with a Custom Hydra was a triumph for me even when we lost the round. Even 3/0 was a triumph. I ignored the 3/5 spawncamp losses. Play TW, play for yourself and what your personal aims are with it (splat total, k/d, total ink covered, taking that one tricky camping spot and holding it as long as you can.) You WILL lose, and you will lose again and again. The matchmaker makes certain of that, and you might be playing S/S+ rounds anyway.

Ranked is another thing if you want to preserve your rank. Given the frustrations in TW, I'm getting very close to doing what I promised I'd do a month ago: Stop caring about rank. In other threads we've discussed just how AWFUL the matchmaking is, and that you're pretty much screwed with it. I avoid playing ranked, like you, because I don't want to lose my rank and want to play it only when I know I'll do well with a main weapon and aim to better my rank. My new goal: Stop doing that. I'm going to play ranked and I'll lose my way all the way down to C- if I want. I'm not going to worry about mains and winning, it's not a clan match. There are now, what, 74 weapons in the game? Why would I not want to try ALL of them on ALL 4 game modes? I spent $60 on Splatoon and I'm only playing with $30 of the content. I want to try kelp slpatterscope in splat zones. I want to try an aerospray in TC. Why not? So i can keep a letter next to my name that some opponent might see if they check the Plaza after they play me? A letter that indicates That I may have earned a rank, or been carried to a rank, or just savescummed my way to a rank? Isn't the "best rank' the one that provides games that don't suck no matter what weapon I feel like playing any mode with? if you want to impress the Christmas noobs, sure, that shining S next to your name in the Plaza is sure impressive. So is a level over 35. To skilled players, they'll know a skilled player when they see one (The "B-" ranked bamboozler in warehouse last week in TW that had perfect accuracy an 18/3 k/d and owned the whole map was sure as heck no "B-" in skill, broken letter system or not.)

@Zwei isn't wrong - it's easy to get an attachment to that letter and it takes effort to lose that attachment. But the more I get pwned in TW by uneven matches against S+'s with my squad of C's the more appealing playing ranked is. And the more I realize that by preserving the magic obnxious bragging jerk letter next to my name I'm just denying myself the fun of trying ALL the weapons in ALL the game modes and playing whatever I feel like (including playing something other than ***** Port Mackarel every time it's in the rotation for TW.)

I agree with you guys. I want the good letters! Once you earn one you don't want to give it up. But why buy a game to NOT play half of it? EARN that C- by mastering every weapon in every mode! :p SOME people didn't earn their ranks by even mastering all 3 game modes. Is a B- that can do well on all 3 modes with any weapon class really a lower rank than an S that played only Rainmaker with a Krak-On all the way to S? If you were building a tournament, which would you rather have on your team, the multifaceted player that knows every weapon and mode, or the guy that knows one thing well enough to do it better than most more times than not?

TL;DR: In TW you will lose. Period. But it's still fun without ranks. Dont play to win, play to do well. You're not going to win if, like me, you go 7/0 with a new weapon and held your territory, and the rest of your team went 2/8. Not gonna' happen. But it was a "win" because I played well.

Ranked, yes, play to win. If the letter is what matters most to you, you got your S. Keep your S. Don't return to ranked. Because it's not like you paid for the other 3 game modes, right? ;) (I know, it's easier said than done - I'll be taking that plunge soon, but haven't done it yet. But I suspect once I do it and let go of letters, I'll have a lot more fun playing more modes of Splatoon more often with more weapon play styles.)

Last edited:

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
@Award I think it's still very possible to lose in ranked and still have fun. I mean, I am a mid A+ player. I'm not gonna lie, I know all the techniques, the best strategies, I can read people like a book but holy **** I can't aim for the life of me. That's why I main weapons with the Splat Bomb sub because it doesn't need me to hit them just right, it just needs me to hit at the right time. Anyways, boasting aside, I lose quite a bit. Being a really bad offensive player due to my terrible aim, my team often takes a plunge when I have to take the front lines. So there will be many times where I lose back to back and even fall into lower A ranks but the fun is in improving that terrible aim. Rewarding myself with praise for getting a nice shot or pulling of a fancy maneuver turns the attention away from "I suck at aiming" to "I suck a little less at aiming". Whatever you find yourself weakest in, seeing how you're improving that thing, no matter how seemingly insignificant it may be, makes the game way more fun and less rage inducing.

Award

@Award I think it's still very possible to lose in ranked and still have fun. I mean, I am a mid A+ player. I'm not gonna lie, I know all the techniques, the best strategies, I can read people like a book but holy **** I can't aim for the life of me. That's why I main weapons with the Splat Bomb sub because it doesn't need me to hit them just right, it just needs me to hit at the right time. Anyways, boasting aside, I lose quite a bit. Being a really bad offensive player due to my terrible aim, my team often takes a plunge when I have to take the front lines. So there will be many times where I lose back to back and even fall into lower A ranks but the fun is in improving that terrible aim. Rewarding myself with praise for getting a nice shot or pulling of a fancy maneuver turns the attention away from "I suck at aiming" to "I suck a little less at aiming". Whatever you find yourself weakest in, seeing how you're improving that thing, no matter how seemingly insignificant it may be, makes the game way more fun and less rage inducing.
LOL, I'm so much the opposite. While I don't have close to the 100% accuracy of the best players, I'm a fairly decent eliter, scoped or scopeless, it's all the same. I'll miss more shots than the very good snipers, but I can pick 'em off well enough. And I'm a ninja with a carbon roller, landing the ohko's pretty reliably and running down with burst bombs, and managing to wriggle out of just about any situation with sniper like death rates. But I'm horrible at reading what other people are doing, and predicting their actions or figuring coordinating strategies :rolleyes:

But I agree fully, and for me the rage inducing parts of the game are mostly when I'm not doing as well as I know I should. That's infuriating. Especially with a main weapon. I had a bunch of TW sessions where I'd goofed around with various weapons before bringing it home with my trusty eliter, and doing HORRIBLE with it. 1/6 kind of horrible. That's when I started checking the Plaza after matches and when I realized I was up against top shelf players way over my skill level. Then I realized it the other way around "whoa, I just played an S+ match and only died 6 times and even got one of them!" :p

My frustration with ranked is more frustration with Nintendo than the battles. The dreadful scoring system that puts people in mismatched skill brackets. Going super tryhard, performing AMAZINGLY only to keep losing due to teams that seem to have no idea what they're doing gets frustrating, which is why I mostly stopped ranked but promised myself weeks ago that I'd just treat ranked like TW, mess around, and not care about what rank I'm in. But I couldn't shed my letter attachment quite yet. The frustrations in TW with always being outmatched is pushing me back though since, if you don't care about the letter, the skillsets are still going to be closer in ranked than in TW - maybe not enough to keep from being put on losing streaks not of your own making, but enough to have more of a good time and less frequently get spawncamped :D

But I still have too many new toys weapons to play with in TW first :cool:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet

This post is mostly just rant but seriously, I know I can't be the only person who keeps coming back to this game just to leave in tears EVERY time. What the hell is wrong with me? How does anyone else deal with this?
Just adding a little bit to what everyone else said...

Don't worry about dropping back down to A+. I know it's frustrating but you'll get back up :) I know it's hard work sometimes but after it happens a few times you'll stop caring as much (not stop caring altogether, just less) knowing you have the skill to get back up to S, even if you sink down to A. All the while just pay attention to ways you can improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom