• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

I can't use motion controls to save my life...

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
I felt the same way about motion controls at first, but someone convinced me in a post back when Splatoon 1 first came out that eventually I would get used to them and like them..and it was true!

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Pretty much my entire Splatoon experience lol. I immediately turned off motion controls after the tutorial in 2015 and I still play stick controls to this day. I grew up playing shooters like Halo and Gears of War so I have well over a decade of stick aiming under my belt. I'm comfortable with flick shots and slower movements with stick controls so I never really felt disadvantaged. I tried a couple of times to "learn" gyro but each time I went back to playing stick controls very quickly. Gyro just didn't click with me, I felt like I was constantly fighting myself on where to aim which turned my focus off the game and on to my controller. I never calibrated the gyro though... so that probably would have helped lol.

As an S+ charger main that plays with stick controls, my advice would be not to force motion controls on yourself. Learn gyro because you want to, not because you feel like you need to. Most people prefer motion controls (for good reason since they are undeniably superior in most cases), but that does not make them the best option for you specifically. I play with my legs propped up and they act like a wall for my hands and controller to rest in place. That helps to steady my aim a lot, and as weird as this probably sounds... I use my legs to control the slower aiming. By keeping my thumb in place on the control stick and pushing the controller towards either my left or right leg (pretty much like a counter-weight), the control stick will move slightly based on how hard or soft I push the controller... Almost like my own form of motion control. I also handle slower movements by strafing with the character itself. If I need to move my aim slightly to the left, then I will step to the left with my character. That's pretty much how I have played shooters since forever lol. I had to change that completely when I tried Gyro which made it even more awkward. I picked up using the camera reset to quickly turn my camera behind me or to the sides to check my surroundings and make up for the lack of motion control. You can easily do this by turning your character (Not your camera) and then hit Y to instantly do a 180, then face back the other way and press Y again to reset to where you were originally. It's not nearly as fluid as gyro controls, but it's plenty fast enough for what I use it for.

With all that said... I do plan to keep gyro on for Splatoon 2 for at least the first few days. Even if it's only for torture research and I end up turning it off immediately afterwords... Which I probably will lol... at least I can say that I gave them an actual shot. I never gave gyro a fair chance in the original Splatoon and who knows, I may have ended up liking them if I put enough time and effort into them.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Seems there's been a bit of "controversy" this with this matter due to (ThatSRB2)Dude most recent video about motion vs stick controls. And he guest starred in a NintendoLife video a few days afterwards. The response... has been sardonically amusing to me.

Anyway~ today he posted a new video showing his hands to give everyone an idea of how he, and most others, use motion controls. At least with the pro controller. Could be useful for anyone learning motion controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom